Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

But again, it goes back to the original decision by the parents to start the kid in school at an earlier age.

I can appreciate that the kid is paying the price for a decision made by his parents - but it was their decision. They don't get to turn around now and say "oh, please excuse or ignore the rules in this case." that's not how it works.

Look, I am not a fan of the MSHSL. But in this case, the MSHSL is enforcing a rule that is in the books. you can't fault them for that.

If you start allowing kids an extra year because of "social development," then you're creating a loophole that some people will try to exploit for athletic reasons.

And BTW - when I was in HS, I knew a kid from another school who had to stop playing midway through his senior year - because he turned 20 years old. He had been held back twice for academic reasons. Dumb as a post - but a good basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    But again, it goes back to the original decision by the parents to start the kid in school at an earlier age.

I can appreciate that the kid is paying the price for a decision made by his parents - but it was their decision. They don't get to turn around now and say "oh, please excuse or ignore the rules in this case." that's not how it works.

Look, I am not a fan of the MSHSL. But in this case, the MSHSL is enforcing a rule that is in the books. you can't fault them for that.

If you start allowing kids an extra year because of "social development," then you're creating a loophole that some people will try to exploit for athletic reasons.

And BTW - when I was in HS, I knew a kid from another school who had to stop playing midway through his senior year - because he turned 20 years old. He had been held back twice for academic reasons. Dumb as a post - but a good basketball player.
    its a stupid rule. There are age limits in place. Kids only get 4 years of HS eligibility. If they fall within the age limits and don't go over their 4 years then what is the possible reason for punishing a kid. So its ok if a kid starts Kindergarten at 6 but not if they start at 5 then hold back a year? And its ok to stay back in terms of academics but not athletics? Its stupid

Quote Originally Posted by oleboy41 View Post
    its a stupid rule. There are age limits in place. Kids only get 4 years of HS eligibility. If they fall within the age limits and don't go over their 4 years then what is the possible reason for punishing a kid. So its ok if a kid starts Kindergarten at 6 but not if they start at 5 then hold back a year? And its ok to stay back in terms of academics but not athletics? Its stupid
    100% correct.

If he has only played 3 seasons with MSHSL member schools as a 9th grader or higher, and none in any other state in those grades, and is less than 19 years old ........ how on Earth is it physically, humanly possible for him to have an advantage?????

Incredibly stupid.

Makes you wonder if this was retribution for not signing with the Gophers, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Makes you wonder if this was retribution for not signing with the Gophers, frankly.
    j0youcannotbeserious_j_green.jpg

Or on the flip side of the same coin, if he had signed with the Gophers, you wonder if whoever was sitting on this would've continued to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    The dark hand of Goldy reaches many places...

100% correct.

If he has only played 3 seasons with MSHSL member schools as a 9th grader or higher, and none in any other state in those grades, and is less than 19 years old ........ how on Earth is it physically, humanly possible for him to have an advantage?????

Incredibly stupid.

Yep. Meanwhile we have commits from two brothers in IL (from the town I used to live in), (fairly racist place btw) from two brothers in their sophomore year but one of them is already 17 and will graduate at 19 while the other is 15 and will graduate at 17. This is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Tubby View Post
    Serious question...do you think the family made the decision at the age of 13 with the intent of giving Craig an advantage athletically over his peers rather than improving his academic success? It seems implausible to me that was the intent but as I said before, my personal opinion on the topic has plenty of flaws.
    I have no idea with this family. But, yes, I do think it happens all the time. I don't think the rule would be in place if it wasn't happening.

Or on the flip side of the same coin, if he had signed with the Gophers, you wonder if whoever was sitting on this would've continued to sit on it.
    It's literally ONLY you wondering this.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    I have no idea with this family. But, yes, I do think it happens all the time. I don't think the rule would be in place if it wasn't happening.
    You don't get it. If I don't like a thing .... it must be nonsensical, it couldn't possibly be that I don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    On the high school hockey board, there is a thread on a kid in the same spot this year. Did 8th grade twice and so as a senior he can't play varsity hockey. Granted for those kids they just go to juniors. Football has no such thing...
    Can't they go to a Prep school, 13th grade type of thing like in hoops

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

13 to complete 12.

He seriously has severe mental problems.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    You don't get it. If I don't like a thing .... it must be nonsensical, it couldn't possibly be that I don't understand it.
    It absolutely does happen but as a previous poster said, I don't have a problem with it if it's pre-HS. It should be all about what helps the student succeed academically (first and foremost) but also athletically.

I can't see how Craig McDonald being held back a grade in Jr. High hurt anyone.

G4L may be the dumbest poster here so I bet he is serious.
    Who hates iowa?