Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Minnehaha Academy's Craig McDonald Ruled Ineligible to Play His Senior Year.

Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Something like that happened at a school in SW MN about 15 years ago. A kid transferred from one school to another, and repeated a grade level. he got into senior high, was playing FB, and some kids from his former school realized that he was now a grade behind his former classmates. So they reported it, the kid was declared ineligible during the season, and his new team had to forfeit all the games he had played in.

It's too bad for the McDonald kid, but it sure looks like a violation under the rules. You can say his parents should not have started him in school that early, but it was their choice. The State HS league does have provisions for hardship transfers, but that does not seem to apply to the current situation.

On the high school hockey board, there is a thread on a kid in the same spot this year. Did 8th grade twice and so as a senior he can't play varsity hockey. Granted for those kids they just go to juniors. Football has no such thing...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

I have heard ALLEGEDLY a couple kids have done this repeating a middle school grade claiming the same reason. Social adjustment etc.. Kids coming from public school or a different middle school to a private middle school. The old middle school redshirt. Allegedly of course. Better get Doogie to do some scooping and do a transcript check. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Brooks View Post
    I have heard ALLEGEDLY a couple kids have done this repeating a middle school grade claiming the same reason. Social adjustment etc.. Kids coming from public school or a different middle school to a private middle school. The old middle school redshirt. Allegedly of course. Better get Doogie to do some scooping and do a transcript check. Ha
    Hockey kid was from Chaska. So no private school involved there.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

How did the MSHSL find out?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Brooks View Post
    How did the MSHSL find out?
    I wouldn't be surprised if this resulted from a tip from a competitor. To me, it boils down to the reason for repeating a grade. If it was done for academic purposes, let the kid play. If solely for athletic purposes, a pox on all parties. I had an acquaintance who used to coach high school football in Texas. He told me that there was a lot of kindergarten red-shirting by parents who thought their kid was the next big gridiron star. A fair share of 19-year-old high school seniors.

Good info. Thanks. I wonder if he went to middle school there? I have allegedly heard there has been a middle school grade repeat or two there.

Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I had an acquaintance who used to coach high school football in Texas. He told me that there was a lot of kindergarten red-shirting by parents who thought their kid was the next big gridiron star. A fair share of 19-year-old high school seniors.
    Yes, I remember reading about this 20 or 30 years ago. But with the state of Texas being eminently progressive, I'm sure they've put a stop to it.

JTG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    Yes, I remember reading about this 20 or 30 years ago. But with the state of Texas being eminently progressive, I'm sure they've put a stop to it.

JTG
    If you guys can find it, you need to watch a documentary titled Go Tigers. It's about HS football in Massilon, Ohio; that's where the Speilman boys grew up, and home to Paul Brown. It's well worth the watch. Anyway, they interview a few teachers talking about how many 8th graders are held back for simply football reasons. They don't even try to hide it.

here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmABDakTmI
    JohnnyBoy18: "I just want all three entirely new staffs to get their credit and thanks." --11/29/2017

Why does society today establish rules and regulations meant to penalize/stifle the development of our children? Whether it was academic or social reasoning behind the decision to repeat the grade, nothing about this ruling is advantageous to Craig...and quite possibly very embarrassing. While we're at it, why don't we just tell women that government should have more control over their body than they do.
    "Is this Moron #1? Put Moron #2 on the phone."

Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this resulted from a tip from a competitor. To me, it boils down to the reason for repeating a grade. If it was done for academic purposes, let the kid play. If solely for athletic purposes, a pox on all parties. I had an acquaintance who used to coach high school football in Texas. He told me that there was a lot of kindergarten red-shirting by parents who thought their kid was the next big gridiron star. A fair share of 19-year-old high school seniors.
    Holding back kids is done more than you'd think. There are several studies on the benefits of holding your 5-year old kid back a year. Basically you get an advantage from an early age at being the best in your class and that helps you throughout your life. I also read a study on NHL players where they looked at their birth dates. Basically, there's a strong bias towards the birth dates of NHL players being close to the leading edge of a school year, so even though they weren't held back a year, they tended to be the oldest students in their given classes. Being the oldest they tend to do better in athletics, and that carried them all the way to the NHL. I do know quite a few immigrant families that say their kids are several years younger than they actually are -- I think that's done more so along the lines that they want their kids to have a better chance of succeeding academically, versus athletics.

My "out-on-a-limb" bet says he decommits from ISU and enrolls early at Minnesota just to be closer to home. No inside info. but just a wild guess.

I wonder if he's a candidate for IMG Academy of one of the prep schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Tubby View Post
    Why does society today establish rules and regulations meant to penalize/stifle the development of our children? Whether it was academic or social reasoning behind the decision to repeat the grade, nothing about this ruling is advantageous to Craig...and quite possibly very embarrassing. While we're at it, why don't we just tell women that government should have more control over their body than they do.
    Presumably the eligibility rule is based in how many years you get to play / maybe an advantage someone might gain in being older bigger etc?