KFAN - Power Trip Morning Show

stocker08

Reaction score
I know that it's an unpopular opinion here....but I love the Power Trip Morning Show. Corey Cove can be grating with his air of superiority....and Meatsauce can be grating with his dumb guy schtick at times....but how can you not love Chris Hawkey? AJ Mansour is good as well. And they have great weekly guests. Mark Rosen, Carly Zucker, Mark Parrish, Ben Leber, John Bonnes, Tyler George, Paul Charchian, John Kriesel. Kriesel is quite a character and all around fascinating guy. War vet turned politician who's Humvee hit a land mine while serving in Afghanistan. He lost both of his legs and a few of his good friends.

Then of course you have our very own Tommy Olson who makes his weekly appearances. He's always delightful to listen to, as he just seems to be a really happy dude and he's always giggling throughout the show which makes the listen more enjoyable. He does a weekly recap of the show from the week because he listens to every show....and he gets super excited about things that the guys discuss.....some of which are just silly....but it makes for some good laughs. And he really has no problems admitting things that most people would NOT. For example....how he's recently $hit himself while on a run and had to call his mom to come and pick him up. Or a couple weeks ago....he brought up a "move" he does called the "Zamboni". Pretty much it's a disgusting act where after he's done jerking off, he'll use the waistband of his boxers or shorts to "clean up" the mess so that he doesn't have to get up out of bed and he can go directly to sleep. And then he throws the shorts down in the morning. He was shocked that nobody else had done that before. Hahahaa. Even Hawkey….who regularly jokes about lack of shame found that to be appalling. I love TO though. He's a funny dude to listen to and definitely the kind of good natured dude that you'd want to be friends with.

Unpopular? I thought everyone listened to KFAN morning show!?!?

Tommy O needs to stop sharing too much. He's like the unpopular kid in highschool who would do anything to try and be popular (I know something about it... ). The Zamboni was just too far. But I was laughing so hard I had this weird watery substance coming out of my eyes.

Do you listen to their podcast too? It's like the R rated version of their morning show if the morning show was PG.

Unpopular? I thought everyone listened to KFAN morning show!?!?

Tommy O needs to stop sharing too much. He's like the unpopular kid in highschool who would do anything to try and be popular (I know something about it... ). The Zamboni was just too far. But I was laughing so hard I had this weird watery substance coming out of my eyes.

Do you listen to their podcast too? It's like the R rated version of their morning show if the morning show was PG.

I've read a lot of folks on here that really don't like the morning show. However....a couple years back it did overtake the KQ morning show as the most listened to morning show here the state.

And it think it's hilarious that Tommy is willing to share all this stuff. He just doesn't seem to care about others opinions....which can be a good or bad thing. The Zamboni was way too far....but was absolutely one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. Tommy trying to explain what it was and justify it was classic. Lol..."times of crisis?" All the guys telling him that it was disgusting and him saying "well it's the Zamboni" was brilliant. I had to go back and listen to that several more times.....because Corey getting angry and yelling "I KNOW THE NAME OF IT".

And Hawkey saying...."not only have I never done that....I've never even dreamt of that."

Oh...and I forgot to mention the initials game....which I look forward to every week.

I love power trip. KQ is unlistenable to me since he got rid of Terry. Hate Tommy B.

Great show with great regular guests. Carly is the best. Tommy, Leber, and Parrish are also great. Rosie is pretty regular now, so I consider him almost part of the show.

Great show with great regular guests. Carly is the best. Tommy, Leber, and Parrish are also great. Rosie is pretty regular now, so I consider him almost part of the show.

It seems like Rosie is on almost every one of the KFAN shows almost constantly, except PA but I can't stand PA when it's not viking season so maybe he's on PA too and I just don't know.

I sometimes catch bits and pieces of the show in the morning. to me, it just sounds like a bunch of guys sitting around and each one trying to be more crude or silly than the others. Plus a lot of inside jokes. If that's your thing, fine. It doesn't work for me. I like a little more information/content in the morning. you can have fun with it, but at least throw a little content into the mix.

I started listening about six months ago, on recommendation from this place. Review so far:
1. Can't listen to this with kids in car.
2. Initials is good radio.
3. That is offset by Hawkey making WAY too many penis jokes. Far too often, he's after the easy laugh. I find the show improves a lot when he is not there.

It is much better than Tommy B--KFAN is sophomoric, but joyful. Tom is just an angry baby boomer living in a self imposed bubble.

I've been a loyal listener for almost 20 years. Sludge and I are the same age, and I've been listening since he was an intern. I've been a loyal listener despite the fact that I actively hate both Meatsauce and Hawkey. Meatsauce is either the stupidest mfer on the planet, or he pretends to be. I've always assumed it's the latter, but I don't get what's funny about pretending to be learning disabled. Producers are supposed to be in the background, and yet Hawkey talks more than everyone else combined. He's also quite stupid, always goes for the obvious/unfunny
joke, actively despises sports, and isn't half the singer he thinks he is (despite singing constantly and often drowning out the accompanying music). Mansour's false piety is obnoxious, and thankfully it doesn't get brought up much anymore.

All of the above being said - Cove is easily the most talented radio personality in the metro, and is well overdue for a spot on a nationally syndicated show if he wanted one. (His 24-hour telecast every year is appointment listening.) Almost all of the regular guests are great, including Leber, Carly, Rosen, Tommy O., etc. Kriesel has a great personal story and a long history of public service, but he goes out of his way to be a confrontational dick to Gophers fans on Twitter for absolutely no reason, and I can't respect him because of it. Thankfully he's rarely on - usually only to show off his alcoholism during the Vegas trips.

I've read a lot of folks on here that really don't like the morning show. However....a couple years back it did overtake the KQ morning show as the most listened to morning show here the state.

And it think it's hilarious that Tommy is willing to share all this stuff. He just doesn't seem to care about others opinions....which can be a good or bad thing. The Zamboni was way too far....but was absolutely one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. Tommy trying to explain what it was and justify it was classic. Lol..."times of crisis?" All the guys telling him that it was disgusting and him saying "well it's the Zamboni" was brilliant. I had to go back and listen to that several more times.....because Corey getting angry and yelling "I KNOW THE NAME OF IT".

And Hawkey saying...."not only have I never done that....I've never even dreamt of that."

Listened to a little KQ the other day after not for a long time. Just awful- can't believe they get any ratings at all. Tommy B.- why is he still doing this? They called
Michelle Tafoya and it was totally awkward with nothing to talk about.

I like the Power Trip for the following reasons:

1. They have the best button board and know how to use it.
2. Mark Rosen gets ragged on and is a great sport about it.
3. John Bonnes is a real life laugh track and it's impossible not to laugh at the bits and jokes when he's on.
4. It comes off that they don't take the show seriously. It's a nice listen in the morning.
5. They don't take calls. 95% of listener calls on radio shows blow.
6. Meatsauce being the butt of most jokes works well. He has a very thin skin so his reactions seem legit. Great radio.
7. Great running bits
8. Cory Cove knows how to run a show an keep it moving.
9. 1/2 sports, 1/2 pop culture. It's a good mixture for me.
10. The Rosie laugh soundbyte gets me every time.

Somethings are tired after a while but they seem to bring good to great content on most mornings.

3. John Bonnes is a real life laugh track and it's impossible not to laugh at the bits and jokes when he's on.
4. It comes off that they don't take the show seriously. It's a nice listen in the morning.
6. Meatsauce being the butt of most jokes works well. He has a very thin skin so his reactions seem legit. Great radio.
7. Great running bits

Somethings are tired after a while but they seem to bring good to great content on most mornings.

You nailed a lot of the reasons why I listen to it every morning on my commute....and will often podcast it as well. When it goes to commercial.....I'll sometimes flip it to 93x, which is decent, or to KQRS just to see what's going on. I was a more frequent listener years back.....but it really is difficult to listen to Tom Bernard these days. He's just an angry dude that I can only listen to in short bursts. And his co-hosts pretty much just go along with whatever he says like they are afraid to disagree with him. As others have said.....Terry made the show much lighter and Tom didn't like it. So he got rid of her and made the show worse. I typically just toss on one of the several podcasts I listen to on a weekly basis during the commercial breaks.

Tommy Olson. Used to be the Gophers center. Now he's the Zamboni guy. Tommy is awesome. Not because of the Zamboni thpugh. Starts at minute mark 91:30.

<iframe allow="autoplay" width="300" height="400" src="https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-The-Power-Trip-Morning-Sho-24992310/episode/the-zamboni-power-trip-full-30981220/?embed=true" frameborder="0"></iframe>

7. Great running bits

I agree with a lot of this. I think Cove is easily the mvp of the show. I do tend to switch around a lot in the morning. If there is a commercial I might not get back to that station by the time I get to work.

I try to listen to this show from time to time but always come away annoyed. Corey and Hawkey like to remind that they would rather not even talk about sports, in my opinion coming across as elitist. I also dont think it takes much imagination to always make crude jokes/references, so their middle schoolish patter gets tiresome quickly. Bothers me that Rosen allows himself to be dragged down to their level. Their ratings contradict my opinions for sure, so maybe Im just missing something.

Its not my thing. Kind of childish. Maybe its because I am older.

Its not my thing. Kind of childish. Maybe its because I am older.

Possibly. Listening to 100% sports in the morning would put me to sleep and I'd end up in a ditch or worse. I enjoy the back and forth between the three main guys. And like I said.....they have excellent supporting guests every day of the week.

Today's Initials Game with an all-female lineup was a hoot to listen to.

I know that it's an unpopular opinion here....but I love the Power Trip Morning Show. Corey Cove can be grating with his air of superiority....and Meatsauce can be grating with his dumb guy schtick at times....but how can you not love Chris Hawkey? AJ Mansour is good as well. And they have great weekly guests. Mark Rosen, Carly Zucker, Mark Parrish, Ben Leber, John Bonnes, Tyler George, Paul Charchian, John Kriesel. Kriesel is quite a character and all around fascinating guy. War vet turned politician who's Humvee hit a land mine while serving in Afghanistan. He lost both of his legs and a few of his good friends.

Then of course you have our very own Tommy Olson who makes his weekly appearances. He's always delightful to listen to, as he just seems to be a really happy dude and he's always giggling throughout the show which makes the listen more enjoyable. He does a weekly recap of the show from the week because he listens to every show....and he gets super excited about things that the guys discuss.....some of which are just silly....but it makes for some good laughs. And he really has no problems admitting things that most people would NOT. For example....how he's recently $hit himself while on a run and had to call his mom to come and pick him up. Or a couple weeks ago....he brought up a "move" he does called the "Zamboni". Pretty much it's a disgusting act where after he's done jerking off, he'll use the waistband of his boxers or shorts to "clean up" the mess so that he doesn't have to get up out of bed and he can go directly to sleep. And then he throws the shorts down in the morning. He was shocked that nobody else had done that before. Hahahaa. Even Hawkey….who regularly jokes about lack of shame found that to be appalling. I love TO though. He's a funny dude to listen to and definitely the kind of good natured dude that you'd want to be friends with.

I love the Powertrip morning show.

I also like first grade bathroom humor and poop jokes. My wife thinks I'm immature (shes right)

I met them on the thing where you pedal around downtown Minneapolis and drink beer. Traveling Tap I think its called?

Chris Hawkey was absolutely the nicest person. Will bend over backwards to do anything for anyone. I liked them all but Hawk was my favorite when I met them in person.

People take that ensemble's talent for granted, but they're uncommonly gifted broadcasters and compelling personalities. They work hard and have fun, and they obviously enjoy each other. The good vibes are contagious, which is half the enjoyment of listening to the show.

If you've never heard Cove's Jacques Lemaire.........

I used to hate the show.
Now I just try not to listen but it's not like we have a plethora of good morning shows in this market.

I'm either too old, too dumb, or too bright for that show.
But I still listen sometimes and I hate myself for it.

I used to hate the show.
Now I just try not to listen but it's not like we have a plethora of good morning shows in this market.

I'm either too old, too dumb, or too bright for that show.
But I still listen sometimes and I hate myself for it.

Haha....nobodies too dumb for it.

I try to listen to this show from time to time but always come away annoyed. Corey and Hawkey like to remind that they would rather not even talk about sports, in my opinion coming across as elitist. I also dont think it takes much imagination to always make crude jokes/references, so their middle schoolish patter gets tiresome quickly. Bothers me that Rosen allows himself to be dragged down to their level. Their ratings contradict my opinions for sure, so maybe Im just missing something.

A sense of humor?

Top Bottom