Collin Sexton recalls "crazy" 3-on-5 Alabama-Minnesota game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Saldajeno:

Collin Sexton came alive in the virtual fourth quarter of the said game as Alabama nearly eclipsed Minnesota's 14-point lead and cut it to just three, 83-80, at crunch time.

However, the Tide lost steam and the Gophers eventually survived, 89-84.

Recalling the said game, Sexton, who is now in the pros with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, quipped, "That game was crazy, but I enjoyed it."

Sexton added that he and his Alabama teammates learned a lot from that game.

"As a team, we just gotta make sure that we make smarter decision... [and] no matter what the odds are, just keep playing," he said about the Tide's takeaways from the game.

He then shared his personal lessons from the game: "Never give up pretty much. Just keep playing and don't let everybody bet against you."

Sexton finished with 40 points in that incredible gallant stand by Alabama, and he believes it factored a lot in him getting selected early into the NBA Draft the following year.

"I feel it helped a lot," the eighth overall pick of the 2018 draft said.

https://www.dugout.ph/sexton-recalls-crazy-3-on-5-game

Go Gophers!!

To me, that is when the 2017-18 Gophers' season turned. Prior to that, they looked like a top ten team, even up to the point of all the ejections. Then they took their foot off the gas, made it interesting, and seemingly lost confidence from that point on. Then the injuries and suspensions happened but they were trending in the wrong direction even before that.

MN just didnt know what to do at that point. In hindsight they should've just attacked the basket

They should attacked until all their players had fouled out and then just ran out the clock.

That game confirmed my belief that Richard was not a very good game day coach. That opinion has not changed.

They should attacked until all their players had fouled out and then just ran out the clock.

They should have attacked until everyone fouled out and then just poured it on against no defenders and no way for Bama to inbound the ball.

The game up until the 5 v 3 was very exciting. Lots of jawing at each other. Refs letting things go (until they let it get out of hand). Fans getting into it with the players. Mason shaking someone then staring at him when he hit the 3. It was the culmination of this team coming together, and looking like an upper-echelon team...then it all crashed down on them.

MN just didnt know what to do at that point. In hindsight they should've just attacked the basket

I think Pitino was trying to de-escalate the situation so he had the offense just shooting a bunch of outside shots. He probably should have had them attacking again sooner on offense than they did. When they finally did the Gophers scored very easily. If he has them pour it on the whole time, then Pitino looks like the bad guy. A no win situation.

Last edited:

I think Pitino was trying to de-escalate the situation so he had the offense just shooting a bunch of outside shots. He probably should have had them attacking again sooner on offense than they did. When they finally did the Gophers scored very easily. If he has them pour it on the whole time, then Pitino looks like the bad guy. A no win situation.

x2

What GII wrote

X3

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Plenty of things to judge Pitino on as a game day coach. I don’t see this game is one of them. It was such an unusual situation for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should have attacked until everyone fouled out and then just poured it on against no defenders and no way for Bama to inbound the ball.

They should have played 4 on 3, while leaving someone at the basket on the other end for a guaranteed layup everytime. Cherry-picking complaints are way better than almost losing with a 2 man advantage.

Bingo!!!!

I agree. Pitino was in a no win situation.

Imagine if Coffey had been the type of player at that time that he was the 2nd half of the year.

Top Bottom