2020 Recruit Plan

MBIII_Fan

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but do we know what our 2020 MN recruiting plan is?

I am assume Suggs is priority 1, followed by Garcia. By reading 247, I get the feeling we aren't after Dainja, Carlson and Walton as much. Is that accurate? What does the gopher hole community feel is the % chance of landing any of the MN guys. After Hurt said we stopped recruiting him (true?), do we believe we have a chance with Suggs?

What is the true feeling on Suggs? Will he actually try to play football somewhere?

Thanks experts!

We could get Garcia and Walton. That would be more than acceptable from MN. Suggs is more likely to be a Gopher than the Jones brothers but still not likely.

I think we're very in on all of them. Agree that I think Suggs is gone. Ideally you want to hit on 2 of them. I still am holding out hope that we get Dainja (more of a in the post type), Garcia or Carlson (some stretch the floor ability who can play at the same time as Dainja), and Walton.

I think we end of with Walton and either Garcia or Dainja. That would be an amazing class. I don't like Carlson at all and hope he moves on, seems like a perfect Wisconsin player.

Is Suggs considering football? Have any of his basketball offers made it known that they'll let him play both?

Thanks for the responses!

I think we end of with Walton and either Garcia or Dainja. That would be an amazing class. I don't like Carlson at all and hope he moves on, seems like a perfect Wisconsin player.

Curious what you think is wrong with Carlson? We consistently have players on our team that are nothing more than depth, and personally I'd be pretty confident he would be more than just a depth player.

EDIT: I haven't watched him play in person either to be fair. Going off evals and edited highlight tape lol

Last edited:

If Amir comes back, has a solid season and is a solid draft pick hopefully it helps us start keeping some of these top recruits from the state. Then this team could really take off.

I've watched Carlson a few times. No way he is 6'9", more like 6'6" maybe 6'7". He's not an explosive athlete, probably does a few things well, nothing great. Not a great outside shooter either from the games I saw.

of the MN guys....best case....we get 1 of Suggs/Walton & 1 of Garcia, Dain, Carlson. other MN guys are the Madsen Twins, Hadley, & Crowl.

Hopefully we can get Coffey back and we get another NCAA appearance and hopefully a couple wins in the tourney. Will really help sell the program.

We will also be able to sell the farm on the idea of playing 3 guards to any guards we are going after.
Can also sell the farm on playing time for a 3ish/wing type player
basically can use the above two until we get one or the other to happen...…

and we will also be able to sell the idea on the starting 4 spot for this team.

the wild card in all this will be how good Ihnen is.

of the MN guys....best case....we get 1 of Suggs/Walton & 1 of Garcia, Dain, Carlson. other MN guys are the Madsen Twins, Hadley, & Crowl.

If we are trying to get these guys, it is only because they are from Minnesota because the games I have seen none of them are Big Ten players

Good god, we have one guy saying we should pass on a top 100 prospect and another saying we will only recruit someone because of where they live. Nice!

I've watched Carlson a few times. No way he is 6'9", more like 6'6" maybe 6'7". He's not an explosive athlete, probably does a few things well, nothing great. Not a great outside shooter either from the games I saw.

He is 6’8 but agree with you. Good player shooting outside 15 needs work especially from three. Down low struggled against people his own size which many young players do. He needs to develop some moves on the block to become more well rounded.

If we are trying to get these guys, it is only because they are from Minnesota because the games I have seen none of them are Big Ten players

Gabe has been in contact with Xavier & Ohio State recently and holds offers from Marquette & VT. I think he will be a very good college player. and by he end of the summer he will have a nice offer list. the other 3 im not so sure on either but was just naming other MN guys that may be of interest.

Good god, we have one guy saying we should pass on a top 100 prospect and another saying we will only recruit someone because of where they live. Nice!

You think those guys would be mention as player we should recruit if they weren't from Minnesota

They are obviously doing all they can for Suggs but priority does seem to be Garcia and Dainja who both rave about the program as well as Walton. I’d love to see them really target Johnny Davis too. Garcia/Dainja, Davis and Walton would be a dream class imo.

They are obviously doing all they can for Suggs but priority does seem to be Garcia and Dainja who both rave about the program as well as Walton. I’d love to see them really target Johnny Davis too. Garcia/Dainja, Davis and Walton would be a dream class imo.
Fab Four
Suggs
Garcia
Dainja
Walton

You think those guys would be mention as player we should recruit if they weren't from Minnesota

At some point over the course of recruiting over the next calendar year, yeah I do think they could be mentioned. Look at the Nebraska PG decommit we hosted, is he going to have a better offer list than all of these guys? I'd argue they already have received offers from teams better than Nebby. I can't really say that with any certainty but I bet most of these MN kids have lists that are better.

Hadley- 2 D1 offers
Gabe Madsen-Marquette and VT offers
Mason Madsen-3 D1 offers
Crowl-Iowa and Colorado offers

So yeah I would say that we would consider recruiting these guys at some point throughout the cycle. Are they priority guys now? No but if they play well this summer they very well could be. Look at Kalscheur. Perfect example.

Let me guess, you made this judgement from the stands? People look shorter from an above angle.

He's really good on offense but hes awful on defense. Theres a reason his dream school Wisconsin isnt recruiting him.

Because he doesn't flop? I agree that he is much more of an offensive player, but who knows if that's really the reason Wisconsin isn't recruiting him. Maybe he and his brother are a package deal and they don't think taking his brother is worth it.

Because he doesn't flop? I agree that he is much more of an offensive player, but who knows if that's really the reason Wisconsin isn't recruiting him. Maybe he and his brother are a package deal and they don't think taking his brother is worth it.
I'd take a flyer on him if his brother was willing to walk on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

At some point over the course of recruiting over the next calendar year, yeah I do think they could be mentioned. Look at the Nebraska PG decommit we hosted, is he going to have a better offer list than all of these guys? I'd argue they already have received offers from teams better than Nebby. I can't really say that with any certainty but I bet most of these MN kids have lists that are better.

Hadley- 2 D1 offers
Gabe Madsen-Marquette and VT offers
Mason Madsen-3 D1 offers
Crowl-Iowa and Colorado offers

So yeah I would say that we would consider recruiting these guys at some point throughout the cycle. Are they priority guys now? No but if they play well this summer they very well could be. Look at Kalscheur. Perfect example.

Having a D1 offer doesn't make them a Big Ten player. I think Gabe Madsen is solid offensively but cannot guard a soul and I like Crowl. I think he is a good developmental big that would be more of a plan C if we miss on the other 3 bigs. Mason Madsen & Hadley aren't Big Ten players. I think we should focus on players like Johnny Davis before we go the route of Hadley & M Madsen

Let me guess, you made this judgement from the stands? People look shorter from an above angle.

He walked right past me. I'm 6'3" and he wasn't much taller than me. Garcia is a legit 6'10" maybe 6'11". I've seen him multiple times at lifetime in Savage.

He walked right past me. I'm 6'3" and he wasn't much taller than me. Garcia is a legit 6'10" maybe 6'11". I've seen him multiple times at lifetime in Savage.

When did you walk right past him ? I have him at least 6'9.

Having a D1 offer doesn't make them a Big Ten player. I think Gabe Madsen is solid offensively but cannot guard a soul and I like Crowl. I think he is a good developmental big that would be more of a plan C if we miss on the other 3 bigs. Mason Madsen & Hadley aren't Big Ten players. I think we should focus on players like Johnny Davis before we go the route of Hadley & M Madsen

What makes someone a B1G player before they play a B1G game then? What makes those guys not B1G players in your opinion?

I love this "so and so isn't a B1G player"....you can't just say what you don't like about him? My real issue was that you seem to be able to forecast where we will be in 12 months from now...I wouldn't rule out us taking a kid with p5 offers and some other perks of being close to home. If you should expect one thing from Pitino it should be a little roster turnover and some ups and downs year to year on roster construction.

What makes someone a B1G player before they play a B1G game then? What makes those guys not B1G players in your opinion?

I love this "so and so isn't a B1G player"....you can't just say what you don't like about him? My real issue was that you seem to be able to forecast where we will be in 12 months from now...I wouldn't rule out us taking a kid with p5 offers and some other perks of being close to home. If you should expect one thing from Pitino it should be a little roster turnover and some ups and downs year to year on roster construction.

Mason Madsen is definitely not a high major player, theres no chance the Gophers offer him. Hadley scores a ton of points in hs but its against terrible competition and most of his points come on layups, hes struggled int he eybl so far this year against good competition and quite frankly i dont think hes good enough.

Fab Four
Suggs
Garcia
Dainja
Walton

Haha i’d definitely be all for that but just more realistically i’d love to see us establish good wing depth. Gabe, Williams, Walton and Davis (maybe even throw Ihnen in there) would be a great defensive group. Villanova, Virginia, Texas Tech and so on have shown us how far you can go with good two way wings.

Top Bottom