No Combine invite for Amir

i could easily see amir getting a first round promise in the late part of first round. He is a big 6'9 with perimeter skills. They dont grown on trees

to be honest...there was 20 guys better then him at the G-League workouts..

Love Amir, but he would do himself a favor by coming back to play his senior year.

the question for him is.. Does he want to be drafted or does he play euro ball until he's ready to jump to the NBA.

to be honest...there was 20 guys better then him at the G-League workouts..

Love Amir, but he would do himself a favor by coming back to play his senior year.

the question for him is.. Does he want to be drafted or does he play euro ball until he's ready to jump to the NBA.

probably was. Just takes one team to fall in love with him.

What's holding him back is the use of his off hand. He is a south paw true and true and he wont stick in the nba unless he finds a way to go right (or turns into james harden)

Several posters make comments like the part in bold, and all I can think is, are you freaking kidding me? The "flipping and flopping" is from taking a beating while driving to the hoop. Coffey was fourth in the B1G in free throw attempts, and he made 74% of 'em. Dude ain't afraid of contact. In fact, he's pretty good at initiating it and making the defense pay. What the hell else can you ask?

And yes, I very much want him back for another year.

JTG

Thanks JTB. Agree 100% and I think he was an elite finisher on open court contested drives to the hoop.

Several posters make comments like the part in bold, and all I can think is, are you freaking kidding me? The "flipping and flopping" is from taking a beating while driving to the hoop. Coffey was fourth in the B1G in free throw attempts, and he made 74% of 'em. Dude ain't afraid of contact. In fact, he's pretty good at initiating it and making the defense pay. What the hell else can you ask?

And yes, I very much want him back for another year.

JTG

Who said "flipping and flopping" was a bad thing? My comment was just pointing to the fact that it was that physical in B10 play, imagine grown men in the NBA waiting for him to drive into the lane. And I wouldn't be so worried for him if he actually made most of those flipping and flopping plays but it really just seemed like he was throwing up prayers and hoping to get a foul called which did not happen most of the time. Again, I'm not trying to bad mouth him, I'm just saying he needs another year to hone in and improve on his talents.

it goes both ways.

If Coffey returns to the Gophers, and has a big SR year, it could definitely improve his draft stock.

But - if he returns and does not play well - or just plays inconsistently, that could potentially hurt his draft stock.

In Europe or the G-League, he could play in a more pro-style game. He and his advisers might see that as a benefit.

If I had to guess, I would put the odds at 50-50. He will either come back, or he won't. That's 50-50.

His stock would absolutely rise if he plays the majority of the year like he did the last 8ish games of the season and improves his 3 point % a bit. Whether or not that would mean he actually gets drafted is another question, but his stock would definitely rise.

He said draft stock. And no, it wouldn’t “rise” if he didn’t get drafted.

And he can always work on his shot in the pros. He has nba attributes. Remember Vince carter and Richard Jefferson? They couldn’t shoot a lick from the outside coming from college. All nba players do during the season is babe shoot arounds.

And Michael Jordan didn’t make varsity as a sophomore...

This was pretty obvious that this would be the case! Great kid very good college player but doesn’t have a NBA game and that’s ok.

If I had to guess, I would put the odds at 50-50. He will either come back, or he won't. That's 50-50.

IIRC, wasn't Richard fairly adamant that if Amir wasn't drafted, he'd be back at the U? Thought he shrugged off the Euro or G League approach.

JTG

My gut says he'll be back.

But as John Cusack so famously said "I've been thinking with my guts since I was fourteen years old, and frankly speaking, between you and me, I have come to the conclusion that my guts have sh!t for brains."

IIRC, wasn't Richard fairly adamant that if Amir wasn't drafted, he'd be back at the U? Thought he shrugged off the Euro or G League approach.

JTG

Doogie seems to be the only one pushing the G-League option if not drafted. He keeps using Macura as a comparison of why Amir is going to do it, which is weird, since JP didn't leave early.

JTG

He said if Amir pulls out if the draft before the deadline, he will play for the gophers next year. But if Amir stays in the draft and goes undrafted then he will have no choice but to play in Europe or the G league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps he is just tired of school. It's not for everybody.

Perhaps he is just tired of school. It's not for everybody.

I read that it is a high priority of his dad for Amir to get his degree. I think he’ll be back if getting drafted looks unlikely.

I read that it is a high priority of his dad for Amir to get his degree. I think he’ll be back if getting drafted looks unlikely.

Sometimes you have to finish things out and get the job done.

I read that it is a high priority of his dad for Amir to get his degree.

I can believe it. Richard spent what, parts of four seasons with the Wolves? Maybe made a couple hundred grand in the NBA. That's a hell of an achievement, but I imagine he still has a use for a college degree. That ain't the kind of money that sets you up for life.

JTG

I can believe it. Richard spent what, parts of four seasons with the Wolves? Maybe made a couple hundred grand in the NBA. That's a hell of an achievement, but I imagine he still has a use for a college degree. That ain't the kind of money that sets you up for life.

JTG

It doesnt matter, but, coffey was only in nba for 1 season.

He doesn't have to play his senior year to do that. Can still complete his degree while playing in the G-League.

He doesn't have to play his senior year to do that. Can still complete his degree while playing in the G-League.

That is ridiculous! Going G league would be his one chance to make the NBA. He would have to work full time on improving his skills instead of going to classes and take finals. NBA scouts will not “discount” his development because of school work. If he stays in school, he is expected to go to class and still has “NBA development” potential. If he leaves the U his school work will be postponed until he is done playing basketball.

That is ridiculous! Going G league would be his one chance to make the NBA. He would have to work full time on improving his skills instead of going to classes and take finals. NBA scouts will not “discount” his development because of school work. If he stays in school, he is expected to go to class and still has “NBA development” potential. If he leaves the U his school work will be postponed until he is done playing basketball.

Off-season, players come back all the time at the one and done factories

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Off-season, players come back all the time at the one and done factories

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If he chooses to go pro, he better put his whole efforts into it while the clock is ticking.

The clock is already ticking

The clock ticks at a different pace while still in college. In college you are still in the “development stage” and filled with potential. In the G-league you are being given a last shot just incase.

The clock ticks at a different pace while still in college. In college you are still in the “development stage” and filled with potential. In the G-league you are being given a last shot just incase.

The G-League was literally called the Development League until a couple years ago. The only reason it is now called the G-League is because it is sponsored by Gatorade. It is not a last chance league. It's purpose is to develop NBA players.

The G-League was literally called the Development League until a couple years ago. The only reason it is now called the G-League is because it is sponsored by Gatorade. It is not a last chance league. It's purpose is to develop NBA players.

It is also a place to develop refs, coaches, etc. if you haven’t been signed by an NBA team, the path to the NBA is very slim. Only about 30 (none NBA contract) players get a chance at the NBA each year out of 27 teams. And very few are brought back for a second year. Here is a graphic of a G-league team makeup:

5eb54116f492f5f725bd8037caa202f2.jpg

Be real, it is a last shot to see if you stand out. Chances of getting to the NBA is very slim.

Top Bottom