No Combine invite for Amir

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Tyler Cook only Big Ten G League Elite Camp invite to “survive and advance” to Combine.

Last edited:

What does Amir do? Does he take a professional contact overseas or does he return to UMN for his senior season?

hes coming back and we are going to battle for the big ten title and a nice elite 8 run

I would think his best play now is to come back. I can understand the rationale that your NBA stock won't be higher after another year of college, but the NBA doesn't seem like it is in the cards. So if your option is Euro basketball, that will be there after a senior year. Might as well come back.

I would think his best play now is to come back. I can understand the rationale that your NBA stock won't be higher after another year of college, but the NBA doesn't seem like it is in the cards. So if your option is Euro basketball, that will be there after a senior year. Might as well come back.

If a team was interested in taking him in the draft they would have recommended him to the combine. Players who don’t make the combine are unlikely going to be drafted.

Amir will be a much better player having played through the process to this point.

He will be first team all big ten, team will be top tier, and his jersey in the rafters. He will be drafted next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason to believe his draft stock will rise next year

No reason to believe his draft stock will rise next year

His stock would absolutely rise if he plays the majority of the year like he did the last 8ish games of the season and improves his 3 point % a bit. Whether or not that would mean he actually gets drafted is another question, but his stock would definitely rise.

He'll get plenty of playing time with good players surrounding him. That being said he'll feel more relax knowing that he has a good core with him and he'll do better.

If a team was interested in taking him in the draft they would have recommended him to the combine. Players who don’t make the combine are unlikely going to be drafted.

Amir will be a much better player having played through the process to this point.

He will be first team all big ten, team will be top tier, and his jersey in the rafters. He will be drafted next year.

Not necessarily. There is some gamesmanship involved in the voting in who moved on to the combine.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

His stock would absolutely rise if he plays the majority of the year like he did the last 8ish games of the season and improves his 3 point % a bit. Whether or not that would mean he actually gets drafted is another question, but his stock would definitely rise.

+1 Amir was inconsistent through 2/3rds of last season. If he played all season like he did the last 8 games he would be drafted. If he shows he has the mental toughness and stamina to play at that level all season his senior year he will be all Big 10 and an NBA player.

Come back play have a good year and he could be a second round pick like Bates-Diop.

He'll be the better because of his experience in the G-League. Now, he needs to focus on what will make him become a better player.

Seems like his best bet is to come back. Even if it's a low chance he at least keeps his hopes of being drafted alive. The Europe contract will be waiting for him either way. Why close the door on the NBA before you have to?

I do think he could raise his stock if he can either improve his 3 point shooting or be an all big 10 defensive type.

Agreed especially if next year he play s like the last 6-8 games he did at the end of the last season.

Agreed especially if next year he play s like the last 6-8 games he did at the end of the last season.

Really like him and hope he gets what he is looking for no matter his decision. He sure has plenty to work on. Especially making those around him better. He is a scorer but not even average as a shooter. He plays one half of the half court due to his off hand. Not a good rebounder and yes i know he played on the perimeter. I compared him to other guards. He should be, but is not a plus defender. I can make a longer list of what he does well but most people know what those are. He could play himself into the top 50.

hes coming back and we are going to battle for the big ten title and a nice elite 8 run

I like your thinking, other than stopping at the Elite 8. If they make it to the Elite 8, they might as well keep going.

Not necessarily. There is some gamesmanship involved in the voting in who moved on to the combine.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

i could easily see amir getting a first round promise in the late part of first round. He is a big 6'9 with perimeter skills. They dont grown on trees

Come on guys, Amir was ok but not first or second round talent yet. I want him to succeed but I really don't think he's ready. Imagine if he actually shot better and made more of those missed layups. Have you guys forgotten all the bricks from 1 feet in and him flipping and flopping around in B10 play? He is talented but I really believe he needs one more year in college. I really hope he gets good sound advice and stays.

Amir is a very good college player with a good ability to handle, pass, and drive for a 6-8 guy. He is a good athlete and solid defender.

He is not an a great athlete at the NBA level. He is a below average shooter especially from three. In today's NBA, unless you have elite quickness or some other skill, you cannot overcome bad three point shooting on the perimeter.

His best bet is to shoot 1000 3's a day over the summer, return for his senior year, and hope to hit 40%.

Really like him and hope he gets what he is looking for no matter his decision. He sure has plenty to work on. Especially making those around him better. He is a scorer but not even average as a shooter. He plays one half of the half court due to his off hand. Not a good rebounder and yes i know he played on the perimeter. I compared him to other guards. He should be, but is not a plus defender. I can make a longer list of what he does well but most people know what those are. He could play himself into the top 50.

I agree. It took him a while last year to gain enough confidence to be more aggressive.

So how long will this drag out till we hear his decision?

If you view Amir as a good defender, you were watching a different guy than I was. He's an adequate team defender but struggles to keep dribblers in front of him. How does that translate into the pro game, where he has to play man up on a quicker player... not well. His height seems to work against him in this respect, as he's so lanky that his body jut can't react quickly enough to a quick first step.

I hope he comes back, and personally I think it is the right thing to do because if he plays a full season like he did the last 10 games or so I think he could be drafted and if he doesn't do that the European leagues would still be there for him as they are this year so why not try to improve your draft stock?

With that said who knows what he is thinking, who knows what agents have told him and gotten into his head, who knows what NBA people have told him so who knows if he'll be back or not.. . Guess we'll just have to wait and find out but for some reason I still have a bad feeling about him coming back. I don't know why but I do.

Come on guys, Amir was ok but not first or second round talent yet. I want him to succeed but I really don't think he's ready. Imagine if he actually shot better and made more of those missed layups. Have you guys forgotten all the bricks from 1 feet in and him flipping and flopping around in B10 play? He is talented but I really believe he needs one more year in college. I really hope he gets good sound advice and stays.
I agree, he needs more muscle on his frame as well, that will help with some of the bunnies he's missed

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Several posters make comments like the part in bold, and all I can think is, are you freaking kidding me? The "flipping and flopping" is from taking a beating while driving to the hoop. Coffey was fourth in the B1G in free throw attempts, and he made 74% of 'em. Dude ain't afraid of contact. In fact, he's pretty good at initiating it and making the defense pay. What the hell else can you ask?

And yes, I very much want him back for another year.

JTG

I think by nature he is not aggressive enough, sometimes that comes across afraid of contact. I think when he does drive to the hole he does it aggressively, he not afraid of contact. What the NBA is afraid of is he vanished for games and games. He will probably come back, then prove he is a consistent scorer. It's interesting that Ethan Happ didn't get invited either.

And he can always work on his shot in the pros. He has nba attributes. Remember Vince carter and Richard Jefferson? They couldn’t shoot a lick from the outside coming from college. All nba players do during the season is babe shoot arounds.

Top Bottom