No Combine invite for Amir

This can't bode well for the prospect of Amir coming back.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not if it matters but Diallo of Providence is returning to school so there is still a chance Coffey returns.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I read that both Diallo and Franks are returning to school.

What is the process for pulling out of the draft, does he have to notify the NBA before close of business tomorrow or does he have until midnight to do it. He could do the workout and based on feedback still pull out, timelines are getting pretty tight though.

Not if it matters but Diallo of Providence is returning to school so there is still a chance Coffey returns.

It looks like he is going to get every ounce of feedback he can get before making a final decision. If he is leaning towards coming back unless he thinks he is getting drafted- this would be another chance to get a team to give him an indication that they will take him.

I just don’t see the upside of anyone associated with a team giving any potential draftee honest information.

I just don’t see the upside of anyone associated with a team giving any potential draftee honest information.

Good call. Easy to call into question the integrity of the process when we already have personnel people from teams saying privately they sandbag guys they might want so more teams won't see them. It would seem that it is the team's best interests to have as many players as possible available to draft. Telling a a guy, "No way," only hurts them. I suppose there are things like conscience and personal integrity that could come into play that would veer toward honesty, but the team's interests and the players are not the same here.

I would say as far as honesty goes it's not in any teams best interest to show their hand either way. In my line of work I'll never tell someone they gave the job in the interview or even if I decided that I am not going to hire them, I'll feed them some generic line about where we're at in the process. I am sure everyyone has been interviewed for a job and had a good idea of where they stood afterwords. For Coffey or anyone need smart people to decide the bull****, help him ask the right question and those people need to be honest with him, the people that end up in bad situations either surround themselves with yes men or people who are looking for theres, and will tell you anything you want to hear for their gain.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

For Coffey or anyone need smart people to decide the bull****, help him ask the right question and those people need to be honest with him, the people that end up in bad situations either surround themselves with yes men or people who are looking for theres, and will tell you anything you want to hear for their gain.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming Richard is very active in this process and is going to ask the right questions. Can't remember his path to the NBA, but I'm pretty sure he knows the landscape, the odds, the possibilities, etc and is making sure Amir is considering everything.

I think that is why it was a good step by the NCAA to allow players to hire an agent as they go through the process while still maintaining college eligibility. The agent knows what the player wants, and there is some incentive for the teams to be honest with agents. Most agents represent multiple players, so if a team is dishonest with an agent and cause him to give bad advice to a player -- that could hurt the team in future negotiations with other players represented by the agent. Obviously, in the end, money talks. But I still think there is something to be said about teams maintaining good relationships with agents.

Somewhat related to Amir's workout with the Kings tomorrow. It was announced today that Bobby Jackson is back on the Kings staff working under Luke Walton. Good sign for Bobby that he was retained by a new coach and he'll work as a player development coach. I'd guess he'd be at the workout tomorrow.

STrib: Amir Coffey reaches decision day: Gophers or NBA?

Will Amir Coffey return to the Gophers for his senior season or officially turn pro with hopes of being picked in June’s NBA draft?

Coffey’s decision could heavily shape the expectations for Minnesota’s 2019-20 Big Ten season. The guard is expected to participate in a workout with the Sacramento Kings early Wednesday afternoon, but the deadline for non-seniors to remove their name from the draft is Wednesday at 10:59 p.m. (Central).

The 6-8 former Hopkins standout earned All-Big Ten honors and led the Gophers to the NCAA tournament second round in March. Coffey declared early for the draft in April to pursue his NBA dreams.

“It’s all about what’s best for Amir,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said last week. “If he has an opportunity to change his life, we’ve got to support that.”

During a breakout junior season, Coffey averaged 16.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists. In his last eight games, Coffey took his game to an elite level with averages of 23.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals.

Coffey participated in the NBA G League Elite Camp earlier this month in Chicago. That didn’t lead to an NBA combine invite, but he has worked out with nearly a dozen NBA teams. The general feedback Coffey received from NBA personnel so far is he could go from the 45th pick to undrafted June 20.

If Coffey returns, the Gophers would have three starters back from a 22-win team, including sophomores-to-be Gabe Kalscheur and Daniel Oturu.

“Hopefully, he gets as much information as possible and makes a great decision,” Pitino said. “If he does come back, I really do believe it could be one of our best seasons since I’ve been here.”

http://www.startribune.com/amir-coffey-reaches-decision-day-gophers-or-nba/510525732/

Go Gophers!!

I don;t think it's decision between the Gophers and the NBA. It's a decision between the draft/non-NBA pro-ball and the Gophers. Big difference. Headline a bit misleading.

Bummer. Hes an intriguing prospect. Wouldnt surprise me he goes higher than anticipated

Would be interesting to know what Kings told him today. Hope things work out for him, but if he doesn’t get drafted, ultimately this seems like a silly move.

Top Bottom