No Combine invite for Amir

It is also a place to develop refs, coaches, etc. if you haven’t been signed by an NBA team, the path to the NBA is very slim. Only about 30 (none NBA contract) players get a chance at the NBA each year out of 27 teams. And very few are brought back for a second year. Here is a graphic of a G-league team makeup:

5eb54116f492f5f725bd8037caa202f2.jpg

Be real, it is a last shot to see if you stand out. Chances of getting to the NBA is very slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just not correct. 40% of players on NBA rosters to begin the season played in the G League at some point. It’s become a fairly common route to the NBA.

This is just not correct. 40% of players on NBA rosters to begin the season played in the G League at some point. It’s become a fairly common route to the NBA.

Look deeper into the stats, my infor comes right from the NBA site. That 40% includes every player that has seen the court in the G-league. Many young players are sent to the G-league to get PT. Just look at how many of those spots are available to a player as Amir if he doesn’t get drafted or signed to a NBA contract.

Look deeper into the stats, my infor comes right from the NBA site. That 40% includes every player that has seen the court in the G-league. Many young players are sent to the G-league to get PT. Just look at how many of those spots are available to a player as Amir if he doesn’t get drafted or signed to a NBA contract.

This is what I'm talking about. It's the category Amir would fall into on a two-way deal. What I'm saying about Amir is that if he's promised a two-way deal then I think there is a very real possibility he will not return to school.

We might be talking about two different things. I'm talking about players signing two-way deals. Almost every player who signed a two-way deal last season got called up at some point. The guys who make those G-League teams via local player tryout or by being a returning player are in a different category than Amir, and are obviously much less likely to make it to the NBA.

Link.

“Common route” of starting on a 2 way contract as a way to get into the NBA?

off the top of my head, I can think of three Timberwolves players last year that started the season in the G-League.. two of them have a chance this year to make the Wolves roster and get a NBA contract

I do believe the G league opportunity will be there a year from now?
Playing in front of 10,000 plus people in most every game, finishing your degree, finishing your career fighting for a Big Ten title, NCAA run, 1st team all Big Ten, leading teammates as "the man"...all that and more ain't ever gonna present itself in his lifetime again. Clearly best year of his basketball life is on the horizon.

Link.

“Common route” of starting on a 2 way contract as a way to get into the NBA?

Here's where the 40% number comes from: https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-players-g-league-experience-start-of-season-2018-19/

Here's a list of the 48 players who earned NBA call-ups through the G-League in the 2018-19 season: https://gleague.nba.com/callups/

Here's a list of the players on two-way deals during the 2018-19 G-League season: https://gleague.nba.com/twowayplayers/

If you go through the list of two-way players you'll see that most of them ended up playing for their NBA team at some point in the season. The Wolves brought up each of their two-way players for 10+ games each last season. Same for the Bulls, which is one of the teams reported to be showing a good amount of interest in Amir.

I do believe the G league opportunity will be there a year from now?
Playing in front of 10,000 plus people in most every game, finishing your degree, finishing your career fighting for a Big Ten title, NCAA run, 1st team all Big Ten, leading teammates as "the man"...all that and more ain't ever gonna present itself in his lifetime again. Clearly best year of his basketball life is on the horizon.

From where i sit your right but some of these young men have a different dream.

This is what I'm talking about. It's the category Amir would fall into on a two-way deal. What I'm saying about Amir is that if he's promised a two-way deal then I think there is a very real possibility he will not return to school.

We might be talking about two different things. I'm talking about players signing two-way deals. Almost every player who signed a two-way deal last season got called up at some point. The guys who make those G-League teams via local player tryout or by being a returning player are in a different category than Amir, and are obviously much less likely to make it to the NBA.

I was looking at it from the point of view that he didn’t get a two way contact (which is an NBA contract). And thus talking about the average number of players that get call ups each year. The 40% is a little deceiving because it counts all the NBA players that also spend some time in the G.

Any word on Amir? I believe today (26th) is the key day for his decision. Draft or no draft?

I think Amir's looking at a nice long career in Europe. Short of a newfound shooting touch, I see no scenario where he ends up an NBA player.

As for coming back next year: Does he enjoy the experience at the U? Is it fun being a Gopher & BMOC? His family's not destitute so he doesn't need to put bread on the table. On the other hand, you only have so many quality years to earn in his profession, does he want to spend one of them getting beat up at the U & risking injury?

I know this won't be a popular take, but I think we're a bubble team next year with Amir & talk of an Elite-8 is downright kooky. We're banking on a PG we've never seen play in the B1G, Eric Curry's knee being 100% & Oturu playing the entire season without any injuries. I think the loss of Murphy is going to hurt more than most realize.

Most of the teams in college basketball bank on unknowns nature of the game as are injuries.

I think Amir's looking at a nice long career in Europe. Short of a newfound shooting touch, I see no scenario where he ends up an NBA player.

As for coming back next year: Does he enjoy the experience at the U? Is it fun being a Gopher & BMOC? His family's not destitute so he doesn't need to put bread on the table. On the other hand, you only have so many quality years to earn in his profession, does he want to spend one of them getting beat up at the U & risking injury?

I know this won't be a popular take, but I think we're a bubble team next year with Amir & talk of an Elite-8 is downright kooky. We're banking on a PG we've never seen play in the B1G, Eric Curry's knee being 100% & Oturu playing the entire season without any injuries. I think the loss of Murphy is going to hurt more than most realize.

Your assuming no other player steps up or improves. Mcbrayer, Washington, Stull, Stockmans production is replaceable. With Coffee we should return but agree Elite 8 is a stretch.

Your assuming no other player steps up or improves. Mcbrayer, Washington, Stull, Stockmans production is replaceable. With Coffee we should return but agree Elite 8 is a stretch.

I'm a Gopher fan, not trolling & am not trying to crap on our players, but it feels like we're counting on Oturu to be an All-American. Behind him Curry is a good, not great PF, if healthy & that's a big "if". Omersa's an undersized forward, who was light years away from playing significant minutes last season. The Turk has some decent offensive moves, but looks like a below average rebounder, below average shot blocker & lacks athleticism. Sam Freeman is a lightly recruited, Spring addition. Here's hoping all the pieces come together for a best-case scenario. I will happily come back here and eat crow if we make an NCAA run.

I'm a Gopher fan, not trolling & am not trying to crap on our players, but it feels like we're counting on Oturu to be an All-American. Behind him Curry is a good, not great PF, if healthy & that's a big "if". Omersa's an undersized forward, who was light years away from playing significant minutes last season. The Turk has some decent offensive moves, but looks like a below average rebounder, below average shot blocker & lacks athleticism. Sam Freeman is a lightly recruited, Spring addition. Here's hoping all the pieces come together for a best-case scenario. I will happily come back here and eat crow if we make an NCAA run.

I’ve got a completely opposite take - we are gaining three good guards and a couple of big guys that can shoot from outside - this will allow Oturo to have spacing in the post - Coffey will have room to drive if he comes back - ( Murphy, as good as he was, played within ten feet of basket, clogged lanes and was late defensively on a lot of recoveries on outside shooters) watch carr’s highlight and see someone that has great release points when driving and decent form on outside shots. Think of Carr, kauleshaer, Coffey, demir with a bigger, stronger oturo on the inside. Pick your poison on that lineup.

I’ve got a completely opposite take - we are gaining three good guards and a couple of big guys that can shoot from outside - this will allow Oturo to have spacing in the post - Coffey will have room to drive if he comes back - ( Murphy, as good as he was, played within ten feet of basket, clogged lanes and was late defensively on a lot of recoveries on outside shooters) watch carr’s highlight and see someone that has great release points when driving and decent form on outside shots. Think of Carr, kauleshaer, Coffey, demir with a bigger, stronger oturo on the inside. Pick your poison on that lineup.

Yeah Murphy is a strange course where of course he had a monumental Gopher career worthy of a jersey retirement, but at the same time it doesn't feel like he's leaving a massive void. It would be a huge loss if we were planning on keeping the same offense, but I would assume we can have faith in Pitino to open it up a bit. I feel that losing Coffey is a much bigger hit than Murphy.

Yeah Murphy is a strange course where of course he had a monumental Gopher career worthy of a jersey retirement, but at the same time it doesn't feel like he's leaving a massive void. It would be a huge loss if we were planning on keeping the same offense, but I would assume we can have faith in Pitino to open it up a bit. I feel that losing Coffey is a much bigger hit than Murphy.

Never discount the importance of rebounding. It will be a long time before we see another one like #3.

A good point that RP may show a different style of offense. Murph was a force inside and no one on the roster will duplicate that next season. Oturu will be the main man there but he has room for lot of improvement. Lets hope he has more space to operate than Murphy had.

Never discount the importance of rebounding. It will be a long time before we see another one like #3.

A good point that RP may show a different style of offense. Murph was a force inside and no one on the roster will duplicate that next season. Oturu will be the main man there but he has room for lot of improvement. Lets hope he has more space to operate than Murphy had.

Very true about #3. But I do expect Oturu's rebounding numbers to jump quite a bit. And Demir will need to be effective on the boards. If he can average what he did last year (6-7), that would be good enough IMO. Definitely concerned about Curry, but he has been a pretty good rebounder so far. Just has to get and stay healthy....

If Coffey comes back and the Gophers miss the tourney, it will be a huge disappointment. Without Amir, I'm not sure what to think.

Bingo. Completely different style of play coming next season. We've been playing a style that took advantage of all that Murphy had to offer. It appears there's an opportunity to take advantage of much different skill sets now.

I'm not sure losing Coffey would be a bigger hit than Murph graduating, but I'm not saying you're wrong, either. I hope like hell he's back for one more year.

JTG

I hope like hell he's back for one more year.

JTG

Starting to feel like one of those situations where I'm anxiously waiting for the time an 18 year old kid announces where he is going to school. Should be too old to care, but, damn it, it's the Gophers.

Anyone else starting to get nervous he isn't coming back? I had figured he would be back but the longer this drags on the more it feels like he is just waiting for that one team (NBA, Europe, China, NBL, etc) to say here is the check, and he says I am getting paid. I don't blame him but man it would be awesome to have him back!

As a Gopher Sports eternal optimist I believe this will be the best team since the days of Flip, Osborne, Michael, and McHale. I remember them well and they were incredible and the Barn rocked. I know all of you will point to the Final 4 (that wasn't) team and they were great. We can argue which team was best but the edge will always go to the team I watched and the players I knew. Now for next year. Carr should be our best PG since Bobby Jackson. Sorry, Nate. Amir should return and he polished some skills last year as PG and is absolutely working hard on the weaknesses. Murphy is a tough one to replace. It will be done by committee. With a surrounding cast of stars Gabre will be unstoppable. These players absolutely open the floor on offense. We have depth which may enable freer substitution and more effort on D. No more anxiety over IW. That is a plus, and I do wish him well at Iona. Hope he becomes everything we hoped for here. Finally, we have quality depth.

Take it for what it's worth but his IG story shows him back on campus... either he's returning or coming to gather his belongings lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As a Gopher Sports eternal optimist I believe this will be the best team since the days of Flip, Osborne, Michael, and McHale. I remember them well and they were incredible and the Barn rocked. I know all of you will point to the Final 4 (that wasn't) team and they were great. We can argue which team was best but the edge will always go to the team I watched and the players I knew. Now for next year. Carr should be our best PG since Bobby Jackson. Sorry, Nate. Amir should return and he polished some skills last year as PG and is absolutely working hard on the weaknesses. Murphy is a tough one to replace. It will be done by committee. With a surrounding cast of stars Gabre will be unstoppable. These players absolutely open the floor on offense. We have depth which may enable freer substitution and more effort on D. No more anxiety over IW. That is a plus, and I do wish him well at Iona. Hope he becomes everything we hoped for here. Finally, we have quality depth.
Marcus Carr as a Sophomore will not be Nate Mason as a Junior. Also Bobby J was our two guard. Love the optimism though, as I think they can be good as well. Without Coffey, it's a bubble team

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom