Fran Fraschilla: U with Coffey Return Could be Top 20

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla believes next season could be very rewarding for Amir Coffey and the Golden Gophers if the junior guard-forward returns for his senior season.

In a telephone conversation Sunday night Fraschilla, who follows the Gophers closely, talked about Coffey’s interest in skipping his senior season to turn professional and also what a return to Minnesota might mean for the team. “I think if Amir comes back they definitely have a chance to be a top 20, top 25 (team in national rankings),” the former college coach said. “He would be a leading candidate for Big Ten Player of the Year. So right off the bat that says a lot.”

Fraschilla has confidence in several of Coffey’s teammates including the sophomore class of Marcus Carr, Gabe Kalscheur, Jarvis Omersa and Daniel Oturu. “I think they’re going to be very competitive even if Amir doesn’t come back,” Fraschilla said. “I think they’ll be competitive in the Big Ten and could be an upper tier team, first division team.”

Coffey, 6-foot-8 and about 205 pounds, was a third-team All-Big Ten selection last season and was at his best in March, often making key plays in important games. The Gophers’ leading scorer, he was among the league’s most versatile players both offensively and defensively. He played point guard and wing for Minnesota while averaging 16.6 points and starting every game.

Coffey has been playing in the May 12-14 NBA G League Elite Camp, a three-day tryout for NBA Draft hopefuls in Chicago. However, he didn’t receive an invitation to the NBA Draft Combine (also in Chicago) that begins today and runs through May 19. He has until 5 p.m. on June 10 to withdraw his name for the June 20 NBA Draft and still retain eligibility to play for Minnesota next season.

Asked about Coffey’s decision to explore his professional options, Fraschilla said, “I believe he is doing the right thing.” But Fraschilla acknowledged it’s a “red flag for sure” that the former Hopkins star didn’t receive an invitation to the NBA Draft Combine.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

If Fran thinks the Gophers "could be an upper tier team, first division team" without Coffey, it doesn't seem like a stretch for him to say they "have a chance to be a top 20, top 25 team" with Coffey.

I would think that most upper tier teams in the B1G float in or near the Top 25 anyway.

Should the Gophers by chance win the Big Ten Title next season with Amir Coffey, that would boost his stock with an extra year of seasoning. I hope he decides to return. It's a win-win IMHO.

Should the Gophers by chance win the Big Ten Title next season with Amir Coffey, that would boost his stock with an extra year of seasoning. I hope he decides to return. It's a win-win IMHO.

I would think a top 4 finish and Coffey improving his 3pt%, FT% and getting stronger (this would probably help the most) would help elevate him to a draftable commodity. He has to stop falling on the ground during contact and show that he can finish stronger at the rim.

No better place to do that than in the B1G!

Top Bottom