Power Five’s Top-20 running backs for the 2019 season (20. Mohamed Ibrahim, Minn)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Harrington:

20. Mohamed Ibrahim, Minnesota: When Rodney Smith went down with a injury early in the season it opened up the door for Ibrahim. He was a late bloomer, but quickly emerged as the Golden Gophers’ primary back. Ibrahim finished the season the season with 1,160 yards on the ground to go along with nine touchdowns. He hit the century mark in rushing against New Mexico State, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin. However, Ibrahim saved his best performance for last in Minnesota’s bowl win over Georgia Tech when he rumbled for 224 yards and two touchdowns. He’ll be P.J. Fleck’s featured back this fall so his workload and production should increase. Ibrahim will definitely take some of the pressure off Minnesota’s new starting quarterback.

https://stayaliveinpower5.com/2019/05/14/power-fives-top-20-running-backs-for-the-2019-season/

Go Gophers!!

should've just stopped after saying the portion about GTech, because the rest just isn't good.

giphy.gif

per Harrington:

20. Mohamed Ibrahim, Minnesota: He’ll be P.J. Fleck’s featured back this fall so his workload and production should increase.

Not saying Harrington is a dink, but does he know something the rest of us don't know?

So arguably the third string back ranks #20 but the probable first and second string backs don't rate at all. Hmmmm. Okay.

Not saying Harrington is a dink, but does he know something the rest of us don't know?
Ha, he also is predicting a new starting QB. I guess Anexstad and Morgan got jumped in the depth chart while I wasn't looking.

I wonder who our mystery starting QB is!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Don’t be so sure Rodney Smith will be the starter and Brooks will be the #2. In November/December, Mo was more effective and explosive than either of the two seniors ever have been.

Plus, Mo’s a Fleck guy and the other two ain’t.

I like that Ibrahim is being noticed for his play last year....but....c'mon....the rest of that write-up is sloppy at best.

I love Mo and he really came on last season but Shannon has had three games I’d label as equally explosive or more explosive. On the negative side he isn’t as careful with the ball as he could be. Brooks may or may not play well again but remains my favorite current back. I can appreciate what the others bring to the table. Mo seems to have that Cobb-like quality to find and attack the right gap.

Smith and Brooks didn’t have the luxury of a competent pass game for most of their careers and the defense was playing downhill on virtually every play. I’d love to see them in peak form in this offense - I think it could be an incredible three or four headed ground attack (Green in on short yardage) that would crush most defenses into submission by the fourth quarter. A beautiful sight.

Interesting & impressive. I posted this update on www.gsufans .com on the (Flite Line board.)

per Harrington:

20. Mohamed Ibrahim, Minnesota: When Rodney Smith went down with a injury early in the season it opened up the door for Ibrahim. He was a late bloomer, but quickly emerged as the Golden Gophers’ primary back. Ibrahim finished the season the season with 1,160 yards on the ground to go along with nine touchdowns. He hit the century mark in rushing against New Mexico State, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin. However, Ibrahim saved his best performance for last in Minnesota’s bowl win over Georgia Tech when he rumbled for 224 yards and two touchdowns. He’ll be P.J. Fleck’s featured back this fall so his workload and production should increase. Ibrahim will definitely take some of the pressure off Minnesota’s new starting quarterback.

https://stayaliveinpower5.com/2019/05/14/power-fives-top-20-running-backs-for-the-2019-season/

Go Gophers!!

We're going to have a log-jam at running back. Fleck should want to keep Mo's momentum, but there's no way we leave Smith and Brooks on the sidelines.

Ha, he also is predicting a new starting QB. I guess Anexstad and Morgan got jumped in the depth chart while I wasn't looking.

I wonder who our mystery starting QB is!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Good point. All Seth Green, all the time!

Maybe Harrington is a dink.

I love Mo and he really came on last season but Shannon has had three games I’d label as equally explosive or more explosive. On the negative side he isn’t as careful with the ball as he could be. Brooks may or may not play well again but remains my favorite current back. I can appreciate what the others bring to the table. Mo seems to have that Cobb-like quality to find and attack the right gap.

Smith and Brooks didn’t have the luxury of a competent pass game for most of their careers and the defense was playing downhill on virtually every play. I’d love to see them in peak form in this offense - I think it could be an incredible three or four headed ground attack (Green in on short yardage) that would crush most defenses into submission by the fourth quarter. A beautiful sight.

I remember quite well several games where these 2 legitimately were the offense, making several guys miss in the backfield multiple times, just to keep us in it (think Nebraska there is the one that most comes to mind)

Smith and Brooks if healthy are better than Ibrahim but it sure is nice to have all 3. Ibrahim has the potential to be just as good by the time he's a senior.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Three headed monster baby!

"The Mythical Greek Hydra was a serpentine water beast that had multiple heads, the guardian of the underworld the Hydra was a formidable foe and deadly in multiple ways. Not only could the Hydra strike with many of its heads, each snake like head contained sharp teeth, and poisonous breath deadly to humans. Worse still, were you to try and defend yourself against the Hydra, with a sword or similar edged weapon, if you cut off one of the Hydras many head, two would grow back in its place."

The way you take care of a Hydra or in the Gophers case the three headed monster.

GSU will bring Listerine for your backs bad poisonous breath. More importantly when the head is removed from the 3 headed monster it has to be cauterized from the heat of the GSU defense.

should've just stopped after saying the portion about GTech, because the rest just isn't good.

Yeah, pretty clear the writer knows very little about our roster. The QB line is puzzling though because it is clear we have two returning QBs with game experience, must have gotten us mixed up with another team that is breaking in a new QB or something along those lines.

Ibrahim could certainly end up as the feature back but if Brooks and/or Smith have any semblance of health this year I don't see his workload increasing.

Maybe one day you will have a Full Back / running back like this.

GSUs Adrian Peterson, Never was held under 100 ypg even against P5 teams Like OSU and UGA..

1998 - 1932 yards
1999 - 1837 yards
2000 - 2052 yards
2001 - 1195 yards

Total rushing over 4 years 7,590 yards

EXAMPLE - ESPN play of the week in 1999 FCS NC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02t-qgwhmm8

Last edited:

Maybe one day you will have a Full Back / running back like this.

GSUs Adrian Peterson, Never was held under 100 ypg even against P5 teams Like OSU and UGA..

1998 - 1932 yards
1999 - 1837 yards
2000 - 2052 yards
2001 - 1195 yards

Total rushing over 4 years 7,590 yards

EXAMPLE - ESPN play of the week in 1999 FCS NC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02t-qgwhmm8

Our 3rd string running back is rated number 20 in the country...yeah I think we’re okay at that position.

Of course AP was running from 1998 -2001, but I doubt that any of your 3 backs will ever hit 7,590 yards in 4 years or 3 years and over 100 YPG over that 3- 4 years in that time. I dont think you ever had any running backs that have done so.

This year GSU will be running all over you with our QB and many running backs.

What happened to your 1st and 2nd string RBs?

Last edited:

Of course AP was running from 1998 -2001, but I doubt that any of your 3 backs will ever hit 7,590 yards in 4 years or 3 years and over 100 YPG over that 4 year in that time. I dont think you ever have.

Nope we haven't had a back go for 7,590, but we have had one go in the first round. AP was a 6th rounder.

Of course AP was running from 1998 -2001, but I doubt that any of your 3 backs will ever hit 7,590 yards in 4 years or 3 years and over 100 YPG over that 4 year in that time. I dont think you ever have.

Your RBs weren't very impressive to me in the bit I watched.

Nice run by the big guy. I remember him playing for the Bears. Unfortunate name. "No, the other one" "yes, I'm in the NFL, but I'm the other one"

Nice run by the big guy. I remember him playing for the Bears. Unfortunate name. "No, the other one" "yes, I'm in the NFL, but I'm the other one"

Its sad that those NFL teams didn't want a true Full Back and gave AP such little time on the field. Why dont you look up GSU's APs stats in the NFL with his limited playing time.

Don’t be so sure Rodney Smith will be the starter and Brooks will be the #2. In November/December, Mo was more effective and explosive than either of the two seniors ever have been.

I agree with you completely, but the views that Ibrahim will surely play behind both Smith and Brooks reflect an unfortunate phenomena: once most people make up their minds about something, it is very difficult to change those minds with evidence.

I agree with you completely, but the views that Ibrahim will surely play behind both Smith and Brooks reflect an unfortunate phenomena: once most people make up their minds about something, it is very difficult to change those minds with evidence.

The statement about explosiveness was false IMO, and team circumstances and personnel have changed that help the backs get to to the second level. Mo is really good, but the other two are older, bigger stronger, faster. I think they are all good and Mo was a revelation later in the year. We are sitting pretty at RB this year.

The statement about explosiveness was false IMO, and team circumstances and personnel have changed that help the backs get to to the second level. Mo is really good, but the other two are older, bigger stronger, faster. I think they are all good and Mo was a revelation later in the year. We are sitting pretty at RB this year.

I really thought it was pretty obvious what Brooks brought to the table that Mo doesn't during the Indiana game. More explosive for sure. Not sure how people can think otherwise. Mo is more of a David Cobb - finds the hole, dependable, but not explosive.

I really thought it was pretty obvious what Brooks brought to the table that Mo doesn't during the Indiana game. More explosive for sure. Not sure how people can think otherwise. Mo is more of a David Cobb - finds the hole, dependable, but not explosive.

He reminds me of a Cobb-Brooks hybrid. He takes care of the ball and he’s a bit more patient. He sure loves to accelerate into contact and deliver a blow. Brooks...love him and is thrilling to watch as he explodes into secondary players but can be careless with his ball handling which I’m sure opposing coaches harp on...and may lose him carries vs the other two (assuming he’s healthy). This will be an interesting story line as the season carries on similar to the QB skirmish.

Top Bottom