Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GopherPlaya View Post
    They weren't part of a top AAU program with a player that was already considered a number 1 draft pick plus a staff with 2 other coaches with NBA affiliation who have also coached top ranked AAU players. Dan Majerle is at Grand Canyon state and Mullin & Ewing are both in their mid 50s.
    The AAU and high school coaching contacts are the key right now. Penny is a God in Memphis and this recruiting class wont hurt that. I cant imagine Miller and Sam will want to be assistant college coaches for many years. The proof in the pudding will be in 2 or 3 years when the rising seniors wont have had contact with Penny via the AAU circuit and Miller and/or Sam may be gone. At some point, he may want to try NBA as well. Time will tell.,

Penny is dropping bags for sure, as One Shining podcast phrases it
    THIS IS....GOLDEN....GOPHER.....BASKETBALL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gophereric30 View Post
    Yeah he must really be a nice guy and be a natural at this recruiting thing. It's his first year and he might land 7 5 star recruits lol it must be the draw to memphis.
    To be fair, half these guys played for him in AAU and he forced Tubby out of Memphis by not giving him access to his players in an attempt to get the job.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthkid View Post
    Now if he can actually coach, I guess we'll find out
    With that talent it would be hard to NOT finish the season in the Top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by watertown 1987 guy n View Post
    With that talent it would be hard to NOT finish the season in the Top 20.
    And will that be enough for the fan base that wants national championships? We'll see how he keeps that number of talented guys satisfied with limited minutes to go around. I'm no Slick Cal fan, but he has the ability to bring in the talent and have them play as a team. That isn't easy. We'll see if Penny can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    To be fair, half these guys played for him in AAU and he forced Tubby out of Memphis by not giving him access to his players in an attempt to get the job.

A new recipe for success.

I mean if you got leverage.....

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    James Wiseman 5* #1
    D.J. Jeffries 5* #25
    Boogie Ellis 5* #40
    Lester Quinones 5* top 100
    Malcolm Dandridge 4* top 100
    Damien Baugh 4*
    Rayjon Tucker #2 rated Grad Transfer by ESPN

Still has a shot at:
    RJ Hampton 5* #5
    Precious Achiuwa 5* #17
    Trendon Watford 5* #19

If he gets 1 of the 3 still undecided guys he will have a recruiting class absolutely packed to fill out the top 8 of his roster! Is he cheating? Or do kids just want to play for Penny?

Watch out Blue Bloods! Memphis is coming back to the pack!
    Quinones and Ellis are 4* in 247's composite, but still a really good class. Someone should start a poll on how long it takes before we hear about the FBI investigating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    Quinones and Ellis are 4* in 247's composite, but still a really good class. Someone should start a poll on how long it takes before we hear about the FBI investigating them.
    Will be fun to find out if he can coach.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Will be fun to find out if he can coach.
    I have my doubts.

I have my doubts.
    It'll be nice to hate Memphis again after ten years of forgetting they exist.

Penny offering a bigger deal than Ol Tex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my doubts.
    If he can't coach, it will become obvious pretty quickly with that level of talent.

As others have already mentioned, there's the AAU connection that Penny forged with these recruits and Memphis has done quite well historically for keeping its local talent at home at a better rate than others-perhaps attributed to the shadiness or purported shadiness employed by the likes of Dana Kirk, Coach Cal, and Josh Pastner, or just due to hometown loyalty.

As builtbadger and others have stated, now let's see how he coaches all that talent and balances the minutes and touches. One only need look to Cam Reddish this season to find a very relevant example of how difficult that task can be, even for well established, veteran coaches.
    Last edited by coolhandgopher; 05-15-2019 at 07:44 AM.
    These are, I must admit, some of my favorite kind of fans. I think sometimes about that line in Woody Allen’s “Crimes and Misdemeanors,” — the main character’s father, a deeply religious man, is asked: “And if all of your faith is wrong … just what if?”

And the man says: “I’d still have a better life than all those that doubt.”
    -Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post

Yeah Smith definitely got shafted by Penny. I imagine he will fail in 5 years and probably run his mouth a ton just like he did with Rick Barnes this year.