Penny Hardaway's recruiting class is sick!

I mean he was a NBA All Star with his own signature shoe and has other NBA affiliated people on staff. It's possible that he is doing shady stuff but his name holds weight. Plus he was the top player in the country high school coach also.

He doesn’t have to do the dirty deeds in person, it’s enough that he has all the connections that that stuff gets done. The deep AAU roots + the connections to shoe companies = people doing stuff and money changing hands to steer players to Penny’s program.

He doesn’t have to do the dirty deeds in person, it’s enough that he has all the connections that that stuff gets done. The deep AAU roots + the connections to shoe companies = people doing stuff and money changing hands to steer players to Penny’s program.

Or, it could just mean kids want to play for him? I mean there is a possibility you are correct but quit stating it like it's a fact.

Or, it could just mean kids want to play for him? I mean there is a possibility you are correct but quit stating it like it's a fact.

I have no doubt that Penny's name and NBA connections are a major draw for a lot of players. That said it is pretty naive to think there isn't money changing hands as well because that is how college basketball works with the elite prospects and has for quite some time.

Maybe they’re all just Mark Cohn fans

I have no doubt that Penny's name and NBA connections are a major draw for a lot of players. That said it is pretty naive to think there isn't money changing hands as well because that is how college basketball works with the elite prospects and has for quite some time.

Until it all came to light and people started losing their jobs and being prosecuted for it. I would think coaches are being more careful right now especially brand new coaches.

I agree money is probably changing hands. But, I also think there are coaches who may benefit but want nothing to do with it. Some would prefer it didn’t happen but it’s pretty difficult to prevent it and even slipperyer to stop or even report because you don’t have facts.

Where is the cutoff point...only top 10 guys? Top 50? Top 100? Guys get paid?
All? Some?

I don’t think Penny is guaranteed dirty. Sam Mitchell, I believe is a pretty principled guy...doubt he’d knowingly be part of a program buying recruits. A lot of these players have Memphis connections.

It’s always easy to say somebody cheats. It’s more difficult to credit them for doing the job better.

It would be awesome if this team got up big early, and lost in the end, the way they did so many games last year.

I agree money is probably changing hands. But, I also think there are coaches who may benefit but want nothing to do with it. Some would prefer it didn’t happen but it’s pretty difficult to prevent it and even slipperyer to stop or even report because you don’t have facts.

All? Some?

I don’t think Penny is guaranteed dirty. Sam Mitchell, I believe is a pretty principled guy...doubt he’d knowingly be part of a program buying recruits. A lot of these players have Memphis connections.

It’s always easy to say somebody cheats. It’s more difficult to credit them for doing the job better.

Totally agree with your last line and I am definitely guilty of making a lot of assumptions based on what we know has gone on in the past in relation to these top recruits.

There is just so much money to be made off these top players that the sharks circle them from an early age all trying to get a piece.

All? Some?

Interesting that Sam Mitchell is no longer part of the program. Does that change your assumption?

The good guy on Penny's staff is out:

Sam Mitchell out as Memphis Tigers basketball assistant coach

Memphis basketball has a new assistant coach opening.

Tigers assistant Sam Mitchell is no longer part of the Tigers staff, coach Penny Hardaway said Tuesday.

Mitchell joined Hardaway's first staff in spring 2018 but spent most of his career in the NBA as a player and coach.

He began his coaching career in 2002 with the Milwaukee Bucks as an assistant and became head coach of the Toronto Raptors in 2004. During the 2006-07 season, Mitchell's Raptors finished 47–35, earning him NBA Coach of the Year honors.

He spent just one season under Hardaway and was known by the players as the assistant with a lot of tough love and humor.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...ut-assistant-coach-penny-hardaway/3673220002/

Go Gophers!!

Tigers assistant Sam Mitchell is no longer part of the Tigers staff, coach Penny Hardaway said Tuesday.

Mitchell joined Hardaway's first staff in spring 2018 but spent most of his career in the NBA as a player and coach.

He began his coaching career in 2002 with the Milwaukee Bucks as an assistant and became head coach of the Toronto Raptors in 2004. During the 2006-07 season, Mitchell's Raptors finished 47–35, earning him NBA Coach of the Year honors.

He spent just one season under Hardaway and was known by the players as the assistant with a lot of tough love and humor.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...ut-assistant-coach-penny-hardaway/3673220002/

Go Gophers!!

Assuming he was canned, but that's not immediately clear. Interesting.

Chuck Person may be looking for a job.

Go Gophers!!

Penny must have his eyes on another recruit and will hire his AAU coach/father figure.

The article goes on to say that Mitchell said on why he left that "I am doing some things" including investing in some Tex-Mex restaurants called Barbarossa. The article also says that the program wanted to bring Larry Brown aboard, but it doesn't look like it was going to happen now.

I won't go as far as saying Hardaway's program is for sure dirty, but the straight shooter assistant coach leaving because he supposedly needed the time to invest in Tex-Mex restaurants followed up by a failed bid to bring Larry Brown aboard doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Ummmm, what kind of shoe contract does Memphis have?

Interesting that Sam Mitchell is no longer part of the program. Does that change your assumption?

Haha Ya, I do some have some questions and concerns about Penny with that news and the explanation. Fran did give the all clear to all college coaches...dunno

The article goes on to say that Mitchell said on why he left that "I am doing some things" including investing in some Tex-Mex restaurants called Barbarossa. The article also says that the program wanted to bring Larry Brown aboard, but it doesn't look like it was going to happen now.

I won't go as far as saying Hardaway's program is for sure dirty, but the straight shooter assistant coach leaving because he supposedly needed the time to invest in Tex-Mex restaurants followed up by a failed bid to bring Larry Brown aboard doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

This is lovely written and was my similar, although less subtly poetic, thought when I saw the name Larry Brown pop up. :cool02:

Top Bottom