Penny Hardaway's recruiting class is sick!

Otis

Reaction score
James Wiseman 5* #1
D.J. Jeffries 5* #25
Boogie Ellis 5* #40
Lester Quinones 5* top 100
Malcolm Dandridge 4* top 100
Damien Baugh 4*
Rayjon Tucker #2 rated Grad Transfer by ESPN

Still has a shot at:
RJ Hampton 5* #5
Precious Achiuwa 5* #17
Trendon Watford 5* #19

If he gets 1 of the 3 still undecided guys he will have a recruiting class absolutely packed to fill out the top 8 of his roster! Is he cheating? Or do kids just want to play for Penny?

Watch out Blue Bloods! Memphis is coming back to the pack!

All I'll offer here is this: Hmmmmm......makes you wonder.

James Wiseman 5* #1
D.J. Jeffries 5* #25
Boogie Ellis 5* #40
Damien Baugh 4*

Still has a shot at:
RJ Hampton 5* #5
Precious Achiuwa 5* #17
Trendon Watford 5* #19

If he gets 1 of the 3 still undecided guys he will have a recruiting class absolutely packed to fill out the top 8 of his roster! Is he cheating? Or do kids just want to play for Penny?

You know the answer to this. AAU connections, agent connections from his former playing days, and parents of players of an age that probably watched and admired Penny all are factors. Now if he can actually coach, I guess we'll find out

that many mouths to feed...he will have turnover after next season

hes taking a page right out of his old coach Pete Bells book

Also help to have guys like Sam Mitchell and Mike Miller on staff to do the actual coaching

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I smell a new Tark the Shark in the pool.
Come to Memphis where an education is optional and a lucrative donation is provided.
How much is 5 million pennies, mom?

It could just be that he appeals to the kids and their parents.. .. doesn't have to be anything special going on here.

As Penny floors it spitting gravel everywhere........"Eat my dust Tubby!"

Yeah he must really be a nice guy and be a natural at this recruiting thing. It's his first year and he might land 7 5 star recruits lol it must be the draw to memphis.

Yeah he must really be a nice guy and be a natural at this recruiting thing. It's his first year and he might land 7 5 star recruits lol it must be the draw to memphis.

I mean he was a NBA All Star with his own signature shoe and has other NBA affiliated people on staff. It's possible that he is doing shady stuff but his name holds weight. Plus he was the top player in the country high school coach also.

I mean he was a NBA All Star with his own signature shoe and has other NBA affiliated people on staff. It's possible that he is doing shady stuff but his name holds weight. Plus he was the top player in the country high school coach also.

You could be right! I guess chris mullin, patrick Ewing, and dan majerle just aren't very good recruiters.

You could be right! I guess chris mullin, patrick Ewing, and dan majerle just aren't very good recruiters.

They weren't part of a top AAU program with a player that was already considered a number 1 draft pick plus a staff with 2 other coaches with NBA affiliation who have also coached top ranked AAU players. Dan Majerle is at Grand Canyon state and Mullin & Ewing are both in their mid 50s.

They weren't part of a top AAU program with a player that was already considered a number 1 draft pick plus a staff with 2 other coaches with NBA affiliation who have also coached top ranked AAU players. Dan Majerle is at Grand Canyon state and Mullin & Ewing are both in their mid 50s.

The AAU and high school coaching contacts are the key right now. Penny is a God in Memphis and this recruiting class wont hurt that. I cant imagine Miller and Sam will want to be assistant college coaches for many years. The proof in the pudding will be in 2 or 3 years when the rising seniors wont have had contact with Penny via the AAU circuit and Miller and/or Sam may be gone. At some point, he may want to try NBA as well. Time will tell.,

Penny is dropping bags for sure, as One Shining podcast phrases it

To be fair, half these guys played for him in AAU and he forced Tubby out of Memphis by not giving him access to his players in an attempt to get the job.

With that talent it would be hard to NOT finish the season in the Top 20.

And will that be enough for the fan base that wants national championships? We'll see how he keeps that number of talented guys satisfied with limited minutes to go around. I'm no Slick Cal fan, but he has the ability to bring in the talent and have them play as a team. That isn't easy. We'll see if Penny can do the same.

To be fair, half these guys played for him in AAU and he forced Tubby out of Memphis by not giving him access to his players in an attempt to get the job.

A new recipe for success.

James Wiseman 5* #1
D.J. Jeffries 5* #25
Boogie Ellis 5* #40
Damien Baugh 4*

Still has a shot at:
RJ Hampton 5* #5
Precious Achiuwa 5* #17
Trendon Watford 5* #19

Quinones and Ellis are 4* in 247's composite, but still a really good class. Someone should start a poll on how long it takes before we hear about the FBI investigating them.

Quinones and Ellis are 4* in 247's composite, but still a really good class. Someone should start a poll on how long it takes before we hear about the FBI investigating them.

Will be fun to find out if he can coach.

Penny offering a bigger deal than Ol Tex [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have already mentioned, there's the AAU connection that Penny forged with these recruits and Memphis has done quite well historically for keeping its local talent at home at a better rate than others-perhaps attributed to the shadiness or purported shadiness employed by the likes of Dana Kirk, Coach Cal, and Josh Pastner, or just due to hometown loyalty.

As builtbadger and others have stated, now let's see how he coaches all that talent and balances the minutes and touches. One only need look to Cam Reddish this season to find a very relevant example of how difficult that task can be, even for well established, veteran coaches.

Last edited:

Yeah Smith definitely got shafted by Penny. I imagine he will fail in 5 years and probably run his mouth a ton just like he did with Rick Barnes this year.

Top Bottom