Shama: U Prez Maybe ‘Home Run’ for Athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Joan Gabel takes over as University of Minnesota president July 1 and her tenure will be interesting on many fronts including athletics.

Former Golden Gophers football player Mark Sheffert was a member of the presidential search committee, and he is a shrewd evaluator of people and organizations. It didn’t take him long during the search process to become an admirer of Gabel.

Sheffert has over 40 years of business experience and in 2014 was inducted into the Minnesota Business Hall of Fame. He is former president of First Bank System (now US Bancorp) and now he is founder and CEO of Manchester, a renowned Minneapolis-based firm providing financial and advisory services to organizations. A reserve football player for the Gophers in the 1960s, he is a passionate but sometimes critical supporter of the University on multiple issues including athletics.

Sheffert has long insisted that high profile U sports like football can and should be more successful, and do so on a consistent basis. He told his colleagues on the academics-heavy search committee he wanted the U to hire a person “that understands” the value of Division I sports in this marketplace.

The athletic department reported to Gabel at South Carolina where she is provost. She has been exposed to big-time sports at South Carolina, including the football-crazed South Eastern Conference environment. Her experiences should be beneficial to the U Athletic Department and Gophers fans.

“I love sports—I’m a huge fan,” Gabel said in a 2015 story about her on the University of South Carolina website.

“She is a supporter of athletics. She loves athletics,” Sheffert agreed. “She thinks we can do better in athletics, and I love that too. She said during the interview (process), ‘I think there are a lot of opportunities at the University of Minnesota that haven’t been capitalized on, and we’re going to do that.’ ”

When Sheffert and others on the search committee looked at Gabel they saw a candidate with not only interpersonal skills, but a balanced blend of administrative, academic, law, finance and business backgrounds. “She started off as a commercial litigator. Commercial litigators are the true professionals of the legal field,” Sheffert said. “She was also at Missouri (as) head of the business school.”

Gabel will become the 17th president of the University and the first female. Sheffert is pleased to have Gabel, who quickly earned his confidence, make history at Minnesota. “She did her homework (on the University),” he said. “She knew more about us coming into the (interview) meeting than we knew about her. As soon as I read her resume, I said to myself, ‘This is going to be our next president.’ “

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I'm hopeful and all but it's not like anyone comes in and says the opposite of:

“I love sports—I’m a huge fan,” Gabel said in a 2015 story about her on the University of South Carolina website.

I hate sports, I hate athletes, I hate fans of sports and I'm just gonna **** **** up!

Maybe? Hard hitting story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be excellent to have a president who realizes you can be both a great academic school and succeed in athletics.

Schools need a balance of good academics, solid athletic programs, and the arts in my opinion. I believe this president will do well.

I'm hopeful and all but it's not like anyone comes in and says the opposite of:

I hate sports, I hate athletes, I hate fans of sports and I'm just gonna **** **** up!

Pretty sure that was the closing line of Ken Keller's inauguration speech.

Pretty sure that was the closing line of Ken Keller's inauguration speech.

It began with “Football is Vietnam” Moos, amped up by “Get Football off Campus” Magrath, perfected by “Football is Hate” Keller, and executed by “Vat iz dis Vootball Ting?” Hasselmo.

Maybe? Hard hitting story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. Way to take a firm stand and support it!!

Based on Shama's stance, it is also possible that the new Prez maybe horrible for the sports program. So, in essence, his article is worthless. Next!!

Top Bottom