2019 Big Ten Quarterback Rankings (11. Zack Annexstad, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

11. Zack Annexstad, Minnesota

Minnesota left spring practice without a clear answer under center. Annexstad and Tanner Morgan will continue their battle into the fall, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see both quarterbacks receive significant snaps in 2019. Annexstad won the job as a freshman walk-on last season, starting the first seven games for coach P.J. Fleck. The Minnesota native was limited to eight appearances due to injury and threw for nine touchdowns and 1,277 yards. Morgan edged Annexstad (1,401 to 1,277) in passing yards and also tossed nine scores last season.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-quarterback-rankings-2019

Go Gophers!!

I'm glad to see Zack get some love I just ... not sure ... oh it's athlon....

Tough to get a lot of love in rankings like this when you don't have a run a way number 1 guy. Probably should have put our combo over the unproven options at PSU and Northwestern but splitting hairs at that point.

per Athlon:

11. Zack Annexstad, Minnesota

Minnesota left spring practice without a clear answer under center. Annexstad and Tanner Morgan will continue their battle into the fall, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see both quarterbacks receive significant snaps in 2019. Annexstad won the job as a freshman walk-on last season, starting the first seven games for coach P.J. Fleck. The Minnesota native was limited to eight appearances due to injury and threw for nine touchdowns and 1,277 yards. Morgan edged Annexstad (1,401 to 1,277) in passing yards and also tossed nine scores last season.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-quarterback-rankings-2019

Go Gophers!!
Not a fan of this their rating system for this one.
Some of the QBs rated ahead Minnesota haven't played or put up worse numbers.

It's like they ranked them by which team they've heard more about from their friends.

If I asked some schlub at work to rank the QBs in the big ten I'd probably get a better list than what athlon put out. [emoji28]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

It's like they ranked them by which team they've heard more about from their friends.

If I asked some schlub at work to rank the QBs in the big ten I'd probably get a better list than what athlon put out. [emoji28]

It’s like they rank it by which schools have more fans subscribing to their rag.

Honestly I bet that schlub at work would have a tough time naming most of the BIG QB's off the top of their head. I could name 7 before looking at the list, OSU, Neb, Iowa, Purdue, Minn, Wis, and Rut (this one only because of the Annexstad connection). Should of known Mich, and Mich State but couldn't remember the names.

Doesn't appear a lot of difference between #1 and #11 (other than the name on the front of the jersey):

Michigan's Shea Patterson last year: 2600yds 22 TDs 7 INTs (junior)
Minnesota's Annexstad/Morgan last year: 2678yds 18 TDs 13 INTs (both freshmen)

Martinez and Stanley (when healthy) are probably the two best QBs in the West, but I think MN guys can push them hard

Doesn't appear a lot of difference between #1 and #11 (other than the name on the front of the jersey):

Michigan's Shea Patterson last year: 2600yds 22 TDs 7 INTs (junior)
Minnesota's Annexstad/Morgan last year: 2678yds 18 TDs 13 INTs (both freshmen)

Martinez and Stanley (when healthy) are probably the two best QBs in the West, but I think MN guys can push them hard

You're right. The main statistical difference between Patterson and Annexstad/Morgan is in the interception category. And as you point out, the two Gopher QBs were freshmen, making their first collegiate starts. The INT numbers should improve with experience.

That being said, it sounds as though Michigan is moving to a new offense that will fit Patterson to a "T".

I also agree with you on Martinez and Stanley. Stanley is very good. Martinez? Scary good. Martinez looks like a rare talent, to my eyes.

.....and yet people still post garbage from athlon. Goodness just stop already

.....and yet people still post garbage from athlon. Goodness just stop already

Especially an Athlon ranking list. We know where anything Mich, tOSU, etc. will land, and we know where anything Gophers will land. We've seen this show before. Nothing. Ever. Changes.

Especially an Athlon ranking list. We know where anything Mich, tOSU, etc. will land, and we know where anything Gophers will land. We've seen this show before. Nothing. Ever. Changes.

Until at least we go out and win the West, then it might start to shift some, but agree that until we are viewed as a true contender in the BIG we won't get much love from places like Athlon that are just basing things off perception more than reality.

Until at least we go out and win the West, then it might start to shift some, but agree that until we are viewed as a true contender in the BIG we won't get much love from places like Athlon that are just basing things off perception more than reality.

Does anyone know why the QB at tOS is eligible this year? He transferred this winter/spring and is immediately eligible.

Does anyone know why the QB at tOS is eligible this year? He transferred this winter/spring and is immediately eligible.

Because it's Ohio State, and not some place like Minnesota.

Or, Google "Justin Fields+transfer+Ohio St.+racist comments" and you can draw your own conclusions.

If Zach is #11 then is Morgan #12 and just who did they rank above these guys?

You can find plenty of info about the story out there. The thumbnail is he lost his starting spot at Georgia, Ohio State needed a QB, he came up with a bogus reason that the NCAA used to grant him immediate eligibility because............Ohio State.

You can find plenty of info about the story out there. The thumbnail is he lost his starting spot at Georgia, Ohio State needed a QB, he came up with a bogus reason that the NCAA used to grant him immediate eligibility because............Ohio State.

Being a highly visible star, he probably was able to tap into people who know how to play the NCAA transfer eligibility game. They probably would not give immediate eligibility to a regular Joe Schmo who transfers to Middling U. Rules are rules. But, then there are the exceptions.

Top Bottom