Gophers PJ Fleck on the transfer portal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

The portal is the NCAA's cryptic name for the database it maintains to track which athletes - in all sports - have notified their schools they wish to transfer. The big change from last year's rules reform was athletes no longer needed to request permission to transfer. Schools and coaches can no longer stop a transfer and dictate where the athlete goes. The point of the portal was to create transparency and order.

Before rules reform, the transfer process could be clandestine. Because athletes needed permission from their current coach to be contacted by other schools, it encouraged third parties to get involved, an active grapevine filled with high school and 7-on-7 coaches, personal trainers, parents and friends of friends.

"Before it was by word of mouth," Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck said. "Somebody gave you a call, 'This guy might be transferring,' and get going. Now, it's every day we have people that are in our program checking the portal."

The portal provides more exposure for the transferring player and, ostensibly, more opportunities. Instead of deals being struck under the table even before players officially were granted their release, now every school in the country has chance to make a pitch.

"It takes away ... the middleman in making the connection," Norvell said.

Georgia Tech coach Geoff Collins said: "I think it's beneficial for the players."

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20190513/sports/305139991

Go Gophers!!

The NCAA football "market" is so weird and wonky you can read into the portal almost anything you like.

PJ seems to be more flexible and willing to deal with the changing nature of the game compared to other coaches.

I read the title and thought pj fleck was leaving

The NCAA football "market" is so weird and wonky you can read into the portal almost anything you like.

PJ seems to be more flexible and willing to deal with the changing nature of the game compared to other coaches.

Think in general this younger generation of coaches is going to be more flexible to the way things are evolving because they have not been around long enough to get totally set in their ways.

Transferring is becoming a bigger and bigger part of the game. The smart coaches will find a way to use it to their advantage.

If it expands it will only benefit the blue chip schools. Think about it. The net flow of talent will be up not down. Restricted free agency is necessary for a competitive league. Yes, it’s not fair to the players. I can name ten thousand other things that aren’t fair.

If it expands it will only benefit the blue chip schools. Think about it. The net flow of talent will be up not down. Restricted free agency is necessary for a competitive league. Yes, it’s not fair to the players. I can name ten thousand other things that aren’t fair.

Yes and No. We already see it helping and hurting those programs on the QB front. They are getting the best available options but they are also losing guys to the portal that don't want to sit behind someone else.

Players will certainly look to move up if possible but there will also be plenty that don't want to sit behind other great players and will trickle down to other schools as well.

It seems like it would be better for those players to consider lesser schools out of high school rather than letting the coaches separate the wheat from the chaff behind closed doors. Not only will free agency make a mess of roster management I maintain it will further concentrate the best players at blue chips.

It seems like it would be better for those players to consider lesser schools out of high school rather than letting the coaches separate the wheat from the chaff behind closed doors. Not only will free agency make a mess of roster management I maintain it will further concentrate the best players at blue chips.

Yeah, I said the same on a different thread. If the pace continues to grow with these transfers, I can see a lot of high 3* and 4* waiting a lot longer to commit, or picking places they know they can play right away after red shirting. Especially QBs.

Yes and No. We already see it helping and hurting those programs on the QB front. They are getting the best available options but they are also losing guys to the portal that don't want to sit behind someone else.

Players will certainly look to move up if possible but there will also be plenty that don't want to sit behind other great players and will trickle down to other schools as well.

I agree w/ MNVCGUY about talent trickling both ways. Jalen Hurts chose to stay at AL last year, but had he transferred it certainly would have been talent moving down (using a well known example, obviously not universal).

Actually, with having to sit a year (outside of Grad Transfers), I think more will be down than up because the helmet schools won't want to tie up a scholarship on someone that can't contribute right away. They'd rather sign a true freshman so they could get a couple years out of them.

It'd be interesting to see if you could go through the list of transfers and see what the average school rank change was (move up or down), or to compare some type of player rating vs. the average player rating of the team they left and the team they went to. Wish I had the time and desire to do that...

Hurts was a grad transfer this year. He may have stayed at Bama because he didn’t want to risk throwing out a year of eligibility.

Top Bottom