WOW: Michigan’s John Beilein has agreed to a five-year deal to coach Cleveland Cavs

Not sure him leaving late will have much of an impact on their search. Where they are at now and the obvious resources they have should make them attractive enough for just about any coach to jump ship but there will be an adjustment period no matter who it is, which should bode well for the Gophers in the short term. Some seem to be saying they’ll promote from within but they’ve gotta be tempted to go big.

If they are going after a big name right away I wonder about Jay Wright or Tony Bennett. Both recently turned down big offers from UCLA, but I think Michigan is a much better fit for either than UCLA.

Don't think Beard would happen. He's making $4M+ a year on a long term contract living close to his family and could be elected the mayor of Lubbock tomorrow if he felt like it. IMO the only job he'd leave for at this point is Texas.

Maybe if the Cav's maintain their luck in the NBA Lottery, Beilein can have success. Otherwise, some school in 2021 or 2022 is going to make an awesome hire when he returns to the NCAA ranks.

He'd be 70ish when he goes back to the college ranks, based on your timeline. Not sure I see that happening.

Wright or Bennett?? HUH? It baffles me when people think guys who have their programs, making a ton of money and have recently won titles are leaving. Wright is not leaving Nova, Few is not leaving Gonzaga, Bennett is not leaving UVa, come on people, stop bringing them up for every job that opens up.

Apologies if someone already posted this or expressed this. The increasingly toxic and corrupt nature of college basketball is not only making it more difficult for the clean coaches to operate, it dirties people by association and takes the joy of fair competition out of the game.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Apologies if someone already posted this or expressed this. The increasingly toxic and corrupt nature of college basketball is not only making it more difficult for the clean coaches to operate, it dirties people by association and takes the joy of fair competition out of the game.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

goood post

It’s all about recruiting. The desire to maintain the fake and fraudulent “amateur” branding of the two major revenue college sports has in turn created a cesspool of under the table rule violations and payments to recruits.

If these are going to survive long term, players need to be paid as student-employees of the universities, players need to be represented by a players union that negotiated with the NCAA and conferences (which run the show), and if we really care about fairness there needs to be a power conference draft that spreads blue-chips out to the various P programs.

WTF. The last guy I would have expected that from. Cue Pitino to Ann Arbor rumors.

If they are going after a big name right away I wonder about Jay Wright or Tony Bennett. Both recently turned down big offers from UCLA, but I think Michigan is a much better fit for either than UCLA.

Don't think Beard would happen. He's making $4M+ a year on a long term contract living close to his family and could be elected the mayor of Lubbock tomorrow if he felt like it. IMO the only job he'd leave for at this point is Texas.

I hear Bennett is a strong possibility. :cool:

Wright or Bennett?? HUH? It baffles me when people think guys who have their programs, making a ton of money and have recently won titles are leaving. Wright is not leaving Nova, Few is not leaving Gonzaga, Bennett is not leaving UVa, come on people, stop bringing them up for every job that opens up.

It's a top 10 or so job. There are plenty of accomplished coaches making good money at good jobs who would consider it if Michigan wants to go the route of a established coach. Michigan may well be happy to let a guy like Yaklich take over for the sake of continuity, but if they want to go after a big name plenty would listen.

Last edited:

Good try ! Even i can, in my late 70's see a lure. It is imperative that every AD make that call to Wright ans Bennett but Donovan would be the big get there.

Nope.

No one is forcing them to play college basketball.

Just like no one forces anyone to play in the NFL or NBA.

Just to clarify your argument, you claim that there should be a draft of high school blue chip recruits in order to disperse them fairly around college basketball programs. And that if a kid isn't pleased that he's drafted by, say, Seton Hall, then he can lump it because no one is forcing him to play college basketball.

Did I summarize that correctly?

I would think that Marshall of WSU would be getting a look.

Just to clarify your argument, you claim that there should be a draft of high school blue chip recruits in order to disperse them fairly around college basketball programs. And that if a kid isn't pleased that he's drafted by, say, Seton Hall, then he can lump it because no one is forcing him to play college basketball.

Just to clarify your argument, you claim that there should be a draft of high level college prospects in order to disperse them fairly around NBA programs. And that if a player isn't pleased that he's drafted by, say, the Knicks, then he can lump it because no one is forcing him to play pro basketball.

I'm shocked. If Michigan doesn't have a homerun hire, this absolutely knocks them down a bit. Beilein (in my opinion) was the best coach in the Big Ten. No one in college basketball was better at developing players.

Just to clarify your argument, you claim that there should be a draft of high level college prospects in order to disperse them fairly around NBA programs. And that if a player isn't pleased that he's drafted by, say, the Knicks, then he can lump it because no one is forcing him to play pro basketball.

How does a Bielein thread turn into a return to your quest for college basketball to turn into the NBDL's minor league?

How does a Bielein thread turn into a return to your quest for college basketball to turn into the NBDL's minor league?

You just contributed to that by replying to it. If you want to pretend to righteously stay on topic, then actually follow through with that.

Dude is 66 coming off a double bypass surgery...now he wants to coach a ton more games and deal with multimillionaire jocks...

Force kids to attend college in the state they graduate high school from. Then watch all the kids jockey for admission to prep schools in the states with the blue Blood schools. This would just push recruiting down a level.

Force kids to attend college in the state they graduate high school from. Then watch all the kids jockey for admission to prep schools in the states with the blue Blood schools. This would just push recruiting down a level.

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, it has nothing to do with what I said.

It’s all about recruiting. The desire to maintain the fake and fraudulent “amateur” branding of the two major revenue college sports has in turn created a cesspool of under the table rule violations and payments to recruits.

If these are going to survive long term, players need to be paid as student-employees of the universities, players need to be represented by a players union that negotiated with the NCAA and conferences (which run the show), and if we really care about fairness there needs to be a power conference draft that spreads blue-chips out to the various P programs.

I do believe this would take some of the desperation out of it and make it less likely that kids who are trying to be clean would end up succumbing to temptation. But the idea that this would be a panacea which would eliminate cheating has no basis in reality. It might make a small dent in cheating, but that's about it.

I'm shocked. If Michigan doesn't have a homerun hire, this absolutely knocks them down a bit. Beilein (in my opinion) was the best coach in the Big Ten. No one in college basketball was better at developing players.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Hiring him was a master stroke, but it was by no means a sure thing at the time. To equal its results, it would have to be a similar calculated risk or, like you say, a home run hire.

Dude is 66 coming off a double bypass surgery...now he wants to coach a ton more games and deal with multimillionaire jocks...

"jocks" is just a word you don't see enough.

And the fact that he doesn't have to get on his knees for a bunch of 15, 16 and 17 year old kids might make the NBA appealing. Yes, it is more games. But I don't think NBA coaches are sitting in gyms all summer hoping a kid like their smile. Or flying to high school games to watch a kid put up 40 against inferior competition because another coach just did the same.

Tommy Crean

I was thinking the exact same thing. Hiring him was a master stroke, but it was by no means a sure thing at the time. To equal its results, it would have to be a similar calculated risk or, like you say, a home run hire.

Where are the Tom Crean rumors?

he's only Harbaugh's bro in law and all.

I do believe this would take some of the desperation out of it and make it less likely that kids who are trying to be clean would end up succumbing to temptation. But the idea that this would be a panacea which would eliminate cheating has no basis in reality. It might make a small dent in cheating, but that's about it.

The cheating that goes on is entirely due to the fact that recruits get to sign with whichever school offers the best deal, and of course that there are supposed to be rules in place to promote fairness and the right thing.

Imagine if NFL teams were simply allowed to offer the best college players and those college players could sign with whomever they wanted. And there were “strict rules” in place that NFL teams were supposed to follow regarding the recruitment of these players.

The cheating there would make college look like child’s play.

But then that’s all absurd in the first place. The pros are obviously made up of professional athletes. Whereas in college they’re scared to death that unless they prop up this grand delusion that the players are amateurs, no one will watch.

I could see Few leave for the right job. He would benefit in getting talent at the right Power 5 school. He still loses players who don’t want to play in Big West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Bottom