WOW: Michigan’s John Beilein has agreed to a five-year deal to coach Cleveland Cavs

Good link with how people actually affiliated with the Big 10 rank all the basketball jobs.

Good link... my immediate quibble with the poll: No way are the Gophers near the bottom in game atmosphere. I was in Indiana when Bobby Jackson beat the Hoosiers late in a full arena. That atmosphere was no where near as loud or fun (Close game...Indiana didn't lose until the end) as Williams Arena. Yet, they have Indiana rated number 1. Plus sight lines from good seats at Indiana are not nearly as good as at Williams Arena. No way, not even close. I had no envy at all for the basketball atmosphere inside the arena in Indiana.
The trip was very fun!

In addition to Bizzle's reply... Michigan is also perceived by many as the best academic institution in the Big Ten.

No question the $$ is in their favor, I guess it depends on how much you weigh that. Plenty of schools with big football $$ still struggle to translate it to basketball success (Texas). As far as academics, that can cut both ways unless they are holding the athletes to a lower standard.

With regards to think rankings in the link, I think they are pretty accurate. I would argue that Maryland should be #4. Knocking them for "not belonging in the B1G" is silly and temporary. The Michigan/Wiscy/Purdue/Illinois group is pretty interchangeable.

Last edited:

In addition to Bizzle's reply... Michigan is also perceived by many as the best academic institution in the Big Ten.[/QUOTE

Second best by almost everyone, with Northwestern clearly number one.

Pffffft ....sure, sure but who actually counts Northwestern in a basketball discussion?

Actually, I did completely forget them ?

John Beilein's record vs the Gophers while at Michigan:

Overall / 18-4
Last 15 / 14-1

Big 10 Tourney / 3-0
@ Williams Arena / 7-2
@ Crisler / 8-2

vs Richard Pitino / 10-1
vs Tubby Smith / 8-3 (Tubby won the first 2 games)

Reminds me of the Little Brown Jug.
He also beat the Gophers while at Richmond in the 2002 NIT.

I am hoping Ryan Saunders has better success vs the Cavs.

Last edited:

This didn't take long:

‘Guys drowned out his voice’: Cavaliers players unhappy with the college coaching style of John Beilein

In the midst of losses in four consecutive games and 10 of their past 11, Cavaliers players are bristling at new coach John Beilein because he’s treating this season like they, and he, are still in college, numerous sources told The Athletic.

It’s already gotten to the point where players are looking past Beilein to his lead assistant, J.B. Bickerstaff, for guidance, those sources said.

“Guys drowned out his voice, and when guys start searching for the next in line for help, I believe you’ve lost them,” one Cavs player said.

“The little things become big things, and sometimes very big things,” another player said.

“Our assistants are definitely more prepared for the NBA,” a third said.

Beilein, 66, is in his first season as an NBA coach after 27 successful seasons in college, the most recent 12 at the University of Michigan, where he took the Wolverines to nine NCAA Tournaments and two Final Fours.

Veterans and younger players, from all corners of the roster, are frustrated with what they see as the pitfalls of a college environment Beilein brought with him. When the Cavs were 4-5, players viewed some of these things as quirks of a coach with a different approach.

Go Gophers!!

So....John Beilein might be available after this season.... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Guy has major heart attack...then bolts for NBA...Greed,Stupidity and Ego

I can understand wanting to take this job at the end of a career for a pay day and just to see if you can be successful, surprised to hear that he apparently has not adjusted his style of coaching. How bad could it be though to already lose the team less than halfway through the season... If Beilein is fired I doubt he returns to head coaching again but you never know.

Sounds like he had the nerves to stress fundamentals and defense. He'd get a better reception with that focus at a pickup game at the Y than the NBA.

He's living in the mistake by the lake. Best to leave the armpit of the nation as fast as possible. No Michigan man should ever be subject to such putricity as Cleveland.

Sounds like he had the nerves to stress fundamentals and defense. He'd get a better reception with that focus at a pickup game at the Y than the NBA.

I go to the YMCA quite often, I highly doubt it. There is less defense played at the Y than the NBA if you can believe it. Defense is a dying art...

Guy has major heart attack...then bolts for NBA...Greed,Stupidity and Ego
Or some people just like a new challenge once in awhile. Maybe it's something he always wanted to try and he didn't want to miss the opportunity.

I go to the YMCA quite often, I highly doubt it. There is less defense played at the Y than the NBA if you can believe it. Defense is a dying art...
I once had the audacity to take a charge when a guy tried to blast his way head-first to the hoop. I’m proud to say that I took the only charge that I and everyone else playing that day has ever witnessed at a Y pickup game.

John. Sorry the NBA didn't work out. We have a nice challenging job back in the B1G for you....

One of the worst takes I've heard. Dude got paid plenty at Michigan. He didn’t need a payday. He said on WoJo that he wanted to try and see if he could do the NBA. Nothing wrong with him wanting to try.
Yeah mid sixties bad heart...give nba HC a try just for the fun of it...makes millions more in nba =Greed.NBA and NCAA. Are 2 different animals= stupidity or Ego...Guess what...My take puts yours to shame..facts rule

Does he have a son we could hire? Hiring the unqualified offspring of successful coaches is our MO.

Yeah mid sixties bad heart...give nba HC a try just for the fun of it...makes millions more in nba =Greed.NBA and NCAA. Are 2 different animals= stupidity or Ego...Guess what...My take puts yours to shame..facts rule

He literally said it on Wojo's podcast a month or two ago. Wanted to try and reach the pinnacle. If his heart is that bad and he's old why would he care about a money grab when he was already making 3.4 mill a year in Michigan? Competitors typically like to try and reach the highest level and be successful. I do agree with you on facts rule though.

"If job A pays more than job B, then the only possible explanation for taking job A is greed."

Cleveland players: "How dare you even think about making me play defense..."

Reminds me of John Calipari at the Nets. Calipari was trying to get his team to play harder one game and even asked them to dive for loose balls. Sam Cassell said on an ESPN 30 for 30 that he literally laughed at Calipari and told him he will never dive for a ball because he's in the NBA.

"If job A pays more than job B, then the only possible explanation for taking job A is greed."

Wrong. Guess you've never experienced personal ambition, desire for something different, desire to improve, potential needs of others in the family, or doing something just for the challenge.

Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Cavaliers coach John Beilein apologizes after calling players 'thugs' instead of 'slugs,' per report

Cleveland Cavaliers coach John Beilein contacted his stunned players individually Wednesday night after saying they were no longer playing "like a bunch of thugs" during a film session earlier in the day, according to a report from ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

According to the report, Beilein told players he meant to use the word "slugs."

The majority of the Cavs are African-American. The team, 10-27 and losers of five straight, watched film in a Detroit area hotel, preparing for the start of a six-game trip that opens Thursday against the Pistons.

"I didn't realize that I had said the word 'thugs,' but my staff told me later I did and so I must have said it," Beilein told ESPN on Wednesday night. "I meant to say slugs, as in slow moving. We weren't playing hard before, and now we were playing harder. I meant it as a compliment. That’s what I was trying to say. I've already talked to eight of my players tonight, and they are telling me that they understand."

According to the report, Cavs general manager Koby Altman was alerted to the situation, discussed it with Beilein and was gathering details about the film session.

Go Gophers!!

Meanwhile in Cleveland...

Cavaliers coach John Beilein apologizes after calling players 'thugs' instead of 'slugs,' per report

Cleveland Cavaliers coach John Beilein contacted his stunned players individually Wednesday night after saying they were no longer playing "like a bunch of thugs" during a film session earlier in the day, according to a report from ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

According to the report, Beilein told players he meant to use the word "slugs."

The majority of the Cavs are African-American. The team, 10-27 and losers of five straight, watched film in a Detroit area hotel, preparing for the start of a six-game trip that opens Thursday against the Pistons.

"I didn't realize that I had said the word 'thugs,' but my staff told me later I did and so I must have said it," Beilein told ESPN on Wednesday night. "I meant to say slugs, as in slow moving. We weren't playing hard before, and now we were playing harder. I meant it as a compliment. That’s what I was trying to say. I've already talked to eight of my players tonight, and they are telling me that they understand."

According to the report, Cavs general manager Koby Altman was alerted to the situation, discussed it with Beilein and was gathering details about the film session.

Go Gophers!!
I can't believe they considered firing him over the thugs comment. Unreal! He'd be smart to resign and coach college again next season.

I can't believe they considered firing him over the thugs comment. Unreal! He'd be smart to resign and coach college again next season.
Agreed, it is not working out for him and that is an understatement. However it has been fun to here about Kevin Love's on court antics this season and the frustration he has with the team.

Calling a black person a thug when they didn't do anything violent/criminal is a clear sign of racism. You don't see an issue with employing a racist coach in the NBA?

I'm speaking generally, so I'm not saying Beilein is racist or that he deserves to be fired. I have no idea what his intentions were. But at the very least, the optics are not good and I understand why the GM wanted to investigate the situation to be sure.

Calling a black person a thug when they didn't do anything violent/criminal is a clear sign of racism. You don't see an issue with employing a racist coach in the NBA?

I'm speaking generally, so I'm not saying Beilein is racist or that he deserves to be fired. I have no idea what his intentions were. But at the very least, the optics are not good and I understand why the GM wanted to investigate the situation to be sure.
Who says...thug behavior is color blind...quit being a race baiting snow flake

Top Bottom