Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Not sure him leaving late will have much of an impact on their search. Where they are at now and the obvious resources they have should make them attractive enough for just about any coach to jump ship but there will be an adjustment period no matter who it is, which should bode well for the Gophers in the short term. Some seem to be saying they’ll promote from within but they’ve gotta be tempted to go big.

If they are going after a big name right away I wonder about Jay Wright or Tony Bennett. Both recently turned down big offers from UCLA, but I think Michigan is a much better fit for either than UCLA.

Don't think Beard would happen. He's making $4M+ a year on a long term contract living close to his family and could be elected the mayor of Lubbock tomorrow if he felt like it. IMO the only job he'd leave for at this point is Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ope3 View Post
    Maybe if the Cav's maintain their luck in the NBA Lottery, Beilein can have success. Otherwise, some school in 2021 or 2022 is going to make an awesome hire when he returns to the NCAA ranks.
    He'd be 70ish when he goes back to the college ranks, based on your timeline. Not sure I see that happening.

Wright or Bennett?? HUH? It baffles me when people think guys who have their programs, making a ton of money and have recently won titles are leaving. Wright is not leaving Nova, Few is not leaving Gonzaga, Bennett is not leaving UVa, come on people, stop bringing them up for every job that opens up.

Apologies if someone already posted this or expressed this. The increasingly toxic and corrupt nature of college basketball is not only making it more difficult for the clean coaches to operate, it dirties people by association and takes the joy of fair competition out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    Apologies if someone already posted this or expressed this. The increasingly toxic and corrupt nature of college basketball is not only making it more difficult for the clean coaches to operate, it dirties people by association and takes the joy of fair competition out of the game.

goood post

It’s all about recruiting. The desire to maintain the fake and fraudulent “amateur” branding of the two major revenue college sports has in turn created a cesspool of under the table rule violations and payments to recruits.

If these are going to survive long term, players need to be paid as student-employees of the universities, players need to be represented by a players union that negotiated with the NCAA and conferences (which run the show), and if we really care about fairness there needs to be a power conference draft that spreads blue-chips out to the various P programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    and if we really care about fairness there needs to be a power conference draft that spreads blue-chips out to the various P programs.
    You want to force kids to attend certain colleges?

Blog Entries

WTF. The last guy I would have expected that from. Cue Pitino to Ann Arbor rumors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    If they are going after a big name right away I wonder about Jay Wright or Tony Bennett. Both recently turned down big offers from UCLA, but I think Michigan is a much better fit for either than UCLA.

Don't think Beard would happen. He's making $4M+ a year on a long term contract living close to his family and could be elected the mayor of Lubbock tomorrow if he felt like it. IMO the only job he'd leave for at this point is Texas.
    I hear Bennett is a strong possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by leib0039 View Post
    Wright or Bennett?? HUH? It baffles me when people think guys who have their programs, making a ton of money and have recently won titles are leaving. Wright is not leaving Nova, Few is not leaving Gonzaga, Bennett is not leaving UVa, come on people, stop bringing them up for every job that opens up.
    It's a top 10 or so job. There are plenty of accomplished coaches making good money at good jobs who would consider it if Michigan wants to go the route of a established coach. Michigan may well be happy to let a guy like Yaklich take over for the sake of continuity, but if they want to go after a big name plenty would listen.
    Last edited by bizzle22; 05-13-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Good try ! Even i can, in my late 70's see a lure. It is imperative that every AD make that call to Wright ans Bennett but Donovan would be the big get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    You want to force kids to attend certain colleges?
    Nope.

No one is forcing them to play college basketball.

Just like no one forces anyone to play in the NFL or NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Nope.

No one is forcing them to play college basketball.

Just like no one forces anyone to play in the NFL or NBA.
    Just to clarify your argument, you claim that there should be a draft of high school blue chip recruits in order to disperse them fairly around college basketball programs. And that if a kid isn't pleased that he's drafted by, say, Seton Hall, then he can lump it because no one is forcing him to play college basketball.

Did I summarize that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by leib0039 View Post
    I would think that Marshall of WSU would be getting a look.