Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Underrated/Too Early Canceled TV Shows

Network television stations have a knack for throwing away good shows in favor of $hitty shows (like Last Man Standing). Fox is the worst offender. How many great shows have they canned? Arrested Development (I know Bob_Loblaw posts here), Futurama, Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, etc. That doesn't even mention one of their biggest flubs....that they managed to retain....Family Guy. I don't give a damn about that show since a couple years after it rebooted. Same goes for Futurama. Best animated show of all time.....for the initial run. The Comedy Central episodes were spotty.

But...back on track. Underrated/canceled too early shows. I already named a few, but I'll repeat.

Arrested Development: Came back on Netflix. Way later than the initial run so all the main actors were aged a bit. But still pretty good. Not nearly as good as the first three seasons. It helped that the main cast was willing to come back. And I'm sure that having Ron Howard backing it helped.

Freaks and Geeks: Early Paul Feig and Judd Apatow project. Wonder why Seth Rogan is in nearly all his films?!? Early stars in this 1999-2000 show that was critically acclaimed....but FOX executive declined: James Franco, Seth Rogan, Jason Segal, Martin Starr, Linda Cardellini, etc.

Undeclared: Another show that was canned too early. Another Judd Apatow project. Stars included: Both Seth Rogan and Jason Segal once again....but also Charlie Hunnam. Great show....only got one season.

Futurama.....Family Guy.....already got into. Happy Endings needs a mention. Awesome show on ABC that was cut for no reason. Probably because it didn't have a laugh track.

Brings me to my greatest underrated....upset that it's gone show....The Life and Times of Tim (HBO).

Don't judge too early. The animation is crude.....but the writing is spot on hilarious. It's the funniest show ever made. And I don't take that lightly.

There is an irony in that Bart Simpson is a genesis in the rise of our current political divide. If everything on Fox had failed, we'd all be much better off today.

I find it strange that Comedy Central refuses to play anything funny anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    There is an irony in that Bart Simpson is a genesis in the rise of our current political divide. If everything on Fox had failed, we'd all be much better off today.
    Shut up and go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    I find it strange that Comedy Central refuses to play anything funny anymore.
    Check out 'The Other Two'. It's the only show worth watching on CC now. But it's actually pretty great.

Yeah, having anything but lefty biased news media has been disaster. The inability to indoctrinate the US population in left-wing political philosophy has really slowed the march to lefty totalitarianism.

Sorry stocker. Had to respond. Back to the thread topic.

Fox network show I liked a couple years ago was Rob Lowe’s The Grinder. Canceled after one season, but was funnier than heck.

The Orville just ended Season 2 and is good. Funny and dramatic action.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    Shut up and go away.

Check out 'The Other Two'. It's the only show worth watching on CC now. But it's actually pretty great.
    We watched the first one and thought it was decent, but we forgot to set it up to record. I’ll circle back.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    Fox network show I liked a couple years ago was Rob Lowe’s The Grinder. Canceled after one season, but was funnier than heck.

The Orville just ended Season 2 and is good. Funny and dramatic action.
    I never got around to 'The Grinder'. And how could anyone dislike Rob Lowe? But my favourite podcaster (Sean Clements), and I make sure to listen to everything he's on, was a producer on that show....and also wrote three of the episodes. He's an incredibly talented dude. But.....KFC.....just going in......Hollywood Handbook (podcast) is not for everyone. It's the stupidest thing on earth....which is what makes it funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    We watched the first one and thought it was decent, but we forgot to set it up to record. I’ll circle back.
    I wasn't intrigued after the first episode either. A little disappointed, being a Drew Tarver fan. But watch a couple more episodes. By the end of the season.....you'll be hooked. Not guaranteed! But it's one of my favourite new shows. I personally think the writers knocked it out of the park. I'd bet toes that it will receive Emmy nominations before it ends.

The Apprentice wasn’t on Fox.

Like it or not, that show (at least the first two season, which I admit were decently entertaining and I watched .... not the 15 billion seasons/spin-offs/celebrity garbage that come after) is why we have president Trump today. The literal, singular reason.

The producer deserves a brick through his window, every day, for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    The Apprentice wasn’t on Fox.

Like it or not, that show (at least the first two season, which I admit were decently entertaining and I watched .... not the 15 billion seasons/spin-offs/celebrity garbage that come after) is why we have president Trump today. The literal, singular reason.

The producer deserves a brick through his window, every day, for the rest of his life.
    Interesting take. But keep it on topic.

And The Apprentice was good for the first couple seasons. And it was entertaining because of Trump for the rest of its run.

TV is in many cases a lowest-common-denominator medium.

A network could theoretically put on the greatest TV show of all time, but if enough people don't watch it, it will be cancelled. On the other hand, a network could put on a show that is (by my standards) a steaming pile of dung, but if enough people watch it, it will be renewed.

I have liked a lot of sci-fi, fantasy type shows that got the boot after one or two seasons. Dollhouse, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Firefly, Alphas, etc. (odd fact - every one of those shows featured Summer Glau. If she is in a show I like, I just expect it be to be cancelled)

With the TV world becoming increasingly fragmented, and more shows moving to streaming services, there will be - hopefully - more of a chance for some of those fringe shows to survive.

men behaving badly was laugh out loud funny, which is rare for a sitcom. ron eldard, justine bateman, rob schneider. i'm not a big fan of schneider, but the role was perfect for him. eldard and bateman left after the first season and it didn't last after the second.

when she says "it's a crevice tool."
    We have a philosophical difference on what constitutes a law

another great show that was cancelled too soon was millennium. from chris carter when the x-files was the hottest show on tv. it was more subdued, but i loved the tone. and lance henrickson was amazing. only lasted 3 seasons.

Blog Entries

Happy Endings and the Grinder were good. But the ratings justified both (and every other show on this list) being cancelled. Another is Jericho. They brought it back for a second season after the fans protested but gutted the budget and it wasn't as good.

tour of duty. i became a vietnam war movie buff in high school, and i think this tv show was the impetus for that. and it introduced me to one of the best stones songs.