Proposal would extend 3-point line in men’s basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per NCAA.com:

The NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee on Friday proposed moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches.

If the recommendation is approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on June 5, the rule would be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I. Due to the potential financial impact, the new 3-point line would go into effect for the 2020-21 season in Divisions II and III.

Committee members proposed the rules change after receiving positive feedback from the annual rules survey and from coaches whose teams competed in the 2018 and 2019 National Invitation Tournament, where the international 3-point distance was used on an experimental basis.

The committee cited the following rationale for extending the line:

Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.

Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.

Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court.

“After gathering information over the last two seasons, we feel it’s time to make the change,” said Tad Boyle, committee chair and coach at Colorado. “Freedom of movement in the game remains important, and we feel this will open up the game. We believe this will remove some of the congestion on the way to the basket.”

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...sal-would-extend-3-point-line-mens-basketball

Go Gophers!!

Proof that the ncaa has it in for the Gophers, we’re already shooting at a 20% clip. Come on!

Proof that the ncaa has it in for the Gophers, we’re already shooting at a 20% clip. Come on!

I view this as a positive. We already suck from downtown, so maybe this even outs the playing field? :)

A foot and a half difference (roughly) is going to impact some shooters drastically. Seems like very little time to train and adjust to a pretty significant new rule.

How many college shooters launched from two feet behind the line this past season? If you could make the shot at a similar percentage you’d shoot it there. Farther to close out, easier to create space, start your step back from outside the current line versus inside the line etc

Probably does effect all teams similarly? Would change the game short term, I think.

The further the better, push 'em back. The three point has become too big of a part of the game.

Like it. 3 point line is too close.

67.5 decimeters, 675 centimeters, 6750 millimeters pretty simple system.

No thanks. This would just put a disadvantage to smaller schools. You get mid-majors into the tournament, and some of them stand a chance because they have some small guys who can shoot outside. This would just force them to play inside more against P5 schools.

This does the opposite. The move favors teams that like to drive to the rim from the perimeter

The teams that can make them would have a greater advantage. It could result in some ugly games.

Disagree, it will spread out the defense and lead to less bad mid range.

There will be similar amounts of threes taken, less mid range, and more in the paint

Get rid of the 3 point line. It's ruined basketball. I hate it.

Last night in the rockets/warriors game..........78 three pointers were launched.

Does a hockey player get 2 goals for scoring from 40 feet out? Does a batter get 2 homers for hitting it 400 feet? A 50 yard bomb is much prettier than a 2 yard td run, yet both are worth 6 points.

A basket should be worth 2 points from anywhere on the court. Why are some baskets worth 3 and the others worth 2? It's soooooo dumb!

Get rid of the 3 point line. It's ruined basketball. I hate it.

Last night in the rockets/warriors game..........78 three pointers were launched.

Does a hockey player get 2 goals for scoring from 40 feet out? Does a batter get 2 homers for hitting it 400 feet? A 50 yard bomb is much prettier than a 2 yard td run, yet both are worth 6 points.

A basket should be worth 2 points from anywhere on the court. Why are some baskets worth 3 and the others worth 2? It's soooooo dumb!

Should free throws also be worth two?
Should touchdowns and field goals both be worth 6? 3? Should extra points be worth 3?

Should free throws also be worth two?
Should touchdowns and field goals both be worth 6? 3? Should extra points be worth 3?

Free throws are worth 2.........it's two FREE points.

Touchdowns and field goals both worth 6, ah, what?

Free throws are worth 2.........it's two FREE points.

Touchdowns and field goals both worth 6, ah, what?

You have different scoring for different types of scores in football and other parts of basketball. Does that offend you the same way?

You have different scoring for different types of scores in football and other parts of basketball. Does that offend you the same way?

Except you shoot two free throws so it isnt the same thing. Plus free throws take place with time stopped and no defense. The difference between a free throw and a field goal is not the same as the difference between a 2 point fg and a 3 pt fg.

That isnt to say there shouldnt be a 2 point shot and a 3 point shot...just saying your comparison isnt great.

Except you shoot two free throws so it isnt the same thing. Plus free throws take place with time stopped and no defense. The difference between a free throw and a field goal is not the same as the difference between a 2 point fg and a 3 pt fg.

That isnt to say there shouldnt be a 2 point shot and a 3 point shot...just saying your comparison isnt great.

I guess I'm missing out on the field goal argument.

A 55 yarder is worth 3 points, as is a 20 yard field goal. Shouldn't a long field goal be worth more?

Disagree, it will spread out the defense and lead to less bad mid range.

There will be similar amounts of threes taken, less mid range, and more in the paint

Anything is possible but what happens is going to depend on which two teams are playing.

But, I disagree it will automatically spread out the defenses. If you can't make threes from the greater distance it allows me to pack the interior even tighter.
Most teams currently subscribe to the philosophy of layups and threes being good shots with midrange shots being bad shots. (Math) If you can't make threes you are screwed, to an even greater degree with the new rule proposal. We'll now contest your midrange shots more easily and you won't score very often.

Yes, it spreads the court if you can make threes from greater distance but in year one I promise percentages will be down and certain games will be ugly. It's not easy for the majority of shooters to extend their range two feet in a couple months when they were working on being good enough to actually have enough confidence from the old distance...now you want me to shot from two feet farther? Coach, I can't get it there with my same stroke....should I work on a different two handed shot? (thought by many, unspoken by most, too much pride to innovate by even more)

Question apart from this discussion...will there be room to move your feet without going out of bounds on corner threes? (without widening the court?) Size 13 plus shoes are not going to have much room in the corner? More ref controversy, replays etc. Widening courts is a major renovation in some places.

Less threes attempted means less transition opportunities....less exciting plays...more packed in 5 on 5 half court possessions versus set defenses.

Not sure I like the idea short term and especially when it's effective with a couple months warning. "I need different recruits for this rule change."

Top Bottom