What can the U learn form the Twins "flash ticket sale"?

I think the more apt comparison for Gopher football would be if the Gophers offered cheap tickets for the non-conference games - $5 or $10 for unsold upper-deck tickets. to be fair, the Twins were not offering the best seats in the house for $5. the first offer was for outfield seats. the second offer was for standing-room only tickets - no seat to sit in - just walk around and watch the game.

The equivalent seats for a Gopher football game would be the upper-deck corners. Those seats are highly likely to be empty, so why not at least try to get a few more people to show up for the game. Shoot, they might have fun and buy tickets for another game. And, they might spend some money on concessions.

All they have to do is buy the cheap seats in the corners and then move to the empty better seats. They'll have lots of choices, but we will have more fans in the stands.

Attendance at the second game of Twins double-header looked pretty light. Didn't watch first game. Heard last night was about half full.

Attendance at the second game of Twins double-header looked pretty light. Didn't watch first game. Heard last night was about half full.

I was at the first game. Lots of empty seats. Glad they filled the ones they did at $5. Too bad concession revenue doesn’t count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought tickets for three games at $5 each. Found out we had a conflict for the early game today and put them on stubhub for $6 and they sold in about two minutes. I looked on stubhub after that at and the cheapest tickets were $16.
So it was still a great promotion but the winning plus nice weather has definitely created demand for tickets again.

Other than the Vikings and Loons in year one, I don’t know if we will see any teams sell out regular season games consistently again in this market. I think Gopher football or basketball would have the best shot.

I bought tickets for three games at $5 each. Found out we had a conflict for the early game today and put them on stubhub for $6 and they sold in about two minutes. I looked on stubhub after that at and the cheapest tickets were $16.
So it was still a great promotion but the winning plus nice weather has definitely created demand for tickets again.

Other than the Vikings and Loons in year one, I don’t know if we will see any teams sell out regular season games consistently again in this market. I think Gopher football or basketball would have the best shot.

Basketball would be tough to completely sell out all the time if only because of the dumb ass start times they get sometimes.

I was at the first game. Lots of empty seats. Glad they filled the ones they did at $5. Too bad concession revenue doesn’t count.

Was at the second game. Decent showing for a double header. To think, what would be the possible "consequences" if they did a flash sale for upper deck $5 seats for the first three home games...Coyle's head hurts just to consider such a radical move...

Do the math. $5 seats with 81 home games and 40,000 + seats. 7 home games and 50,000 seats. Easy for the Twins to do this for crappy May weather. IF the Gophers were to do this the flash ticket prices would be around $20. People would still complain that prices are to high. If everyone that made the statement if we just played outside on campus I would go to the games. Were did all those people go. One thing about Minnesota sports fans, they will always find an excuse not to go to a game.

Do the math. $5 seats with 81 home games and 40,000 + seats. 7 home games and 50,000 seats. Easy for the Twins to do this for crappy May weather. <b>IF the Gophers were to do this the flash ticket prices would be around $20. People would still complain that prices are to high. </b>If everyone that made the statement if we just played outside on campus I would go to the games. Were did all those people go. One thing about Minnesota sports fans, they will always find an excuse not to go to a game.

If they did a flash sale to sell out and then didn’t sell out - then, yes, $20 would have been too high. This is simple economics here.... supply/demand. The idea is to fill the stadium, for all the reasons stated, make it $10, $5, or free with donation to food shelf. Who cares? The problem is that Coyle thinks like you do and doesn’t try. Anything. But, people are renewing so.....

Do the math. $5 seats with 81 home games and 40,000 + seats. 7 home games and 50,000 seats. Easy for the Twins to do this for crappy May weather. IF the Gophers were to do this the flash ticket prices would be around $20. People would still complain that prices are to high. If everyone that made the statement if we just played outside on campus I would go to the games. Were did all those people go. One thing about Minnesota sports fans, they will always find an excuse not to go to a game.

Simple - Try a kid or two sixteen and under go free with an accompanying adult who pays full ticket price or some combos like that. Or, maybe throw in free vouchers for food and drinks for family promo. These are for designated seats that almost always remain empty except for in demand games. The important thing be in your face advertising. Commercials will do a lot to put the Gophers public consciousness. How often do you hear about the Gophers except for in the news? They need some positive vibes. They need to brainstorm or do a test.

You go to Oklahoma City and all you hear about is Sooner Football in all media, in the bathrooms, on the radio, etc... That is extreme.

Last edited:

All they have to do is buy the cheap seats in the corners and then move to the empty better seats. They'll have lots of choices, but we will have more fans in the stands.

So in other words, the real value of those "empty better seats" is about the same as the cheap seats. After all, that's what people were willing to pay for 'em.

Not disagreeing with you, just sayin'. Maybe the admin oughta take that into account.

JTG

What is this? I received quite a lecture from a meteorologist that these things don’t matter in this debate.
Simple math:
Ticket Price * Attendance, dummy.

Except I never once said that. Funny how you constantly complain about alleged lies, that aren't actually lies, and then you continue to post lies.

Except I never once said that. Funny how you constantly complain about alleged lies, that aren't actually lies, and then you continue to post lies.

But you did. Of course now I’m going to point out when and we will all see a Classic GWG Pivot. The whole routine gets old. Just like when I “lied” about how you said I shouldn’t care if Coyle is lying and deceiving as long as he is promoting the U. Wasn’t lying then either, but if you keep saying it folks will believe you right?

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...-amp-innovative-to-get-season-ticket-sales-up

Start at post #50 where you give the magic equation. Posts #56 & #66 is when you are first questioned about other revenue, posts #70,#73,#75 is where you challenge those questions by saying looking at ticket revenue alone is the only comparison to make as it is the only thing required to attend a game.

You can pivot now. I don’t intend to continue this discussion with you. It is a shame you can’t see how transparent you are.

But you did. Of course now I’m going to point out when and we will all see a Classic GWG Pivot. The whole routine gets old. Just like when I “lied” about how you said I shouldn’t care if Coyle is lying and deceiving as long as he is promoting the U. Wasn’t lying then either, but if you keep saying it folks will believe you right?

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...-amp-innovative-to-get-season-ticket-sales-up

Start at post #50 where you give the magic equation. Posts #56 & #66 is when you are first questioned about other revenue, posts #70,#73,#75 is where you challenge those questions by saying looking at ticket revenue alone is the only comparison to make as it is the only thing required to attend a game.

You can pivot now. I don’t intend to continue this discussion with you. It is a shame you can’t see how transparent you are.

And just like I said in all of those posts, I was only making a comparison with ticket sales. I never said anything about concessions, parking, souvenir sales 'not mattering', but that I excluded them because they are not required to attend a game. Which they are not. And many people, including myself, have attended games without spending any money at the game outside of the price of a ticket.

Another classic failure of your reading comprehension. Keep on making up lies and fighting your crusade...

And let's face it, most of the folks complaining about the prices here were paying / paid for seats already.... and we're not the general flash sale kinda customers.

Twins game today maybe half full. You can tell what seats were the $5 ones. Hard to tell if it caused a bump or if, based on Twins hot start and the nicer weather, they basically cannibalized.

Last edited:

Its the marketing folks' jobs to give them an excuse to go to the game.

Would they have sold many if they sucked?

Twins have been hovering around the best record in baseball...

Would they have sold them faster with better weather?

Winning is always a plus, but there are a lot of factors and not trying anything creative because winning is a big factor just doesn't make much sense to me.

Would they have sold them faster with better weather?

Winning is always a plus, but there are a lot of factors and not trying anything creative because winning is a big factor just doesn't make much sense to me.

I think certainly think hovering around the best record in baseball, and weather being really great helped a lot.

I think a "Goldy's Deal" the week of is a great idea, but I also think comparing this Twins sale to any possible Goldy's Deal have so many different variables that ... kinda doesn't work as a direct comparison.

Last edited:

It's a genius plan by the Twins. Get people in the seats who otherwise wouldn't have come and the Twins reap the rewards via concessions they buy.

There is only ONE reason the Gopher marketing department won't do this plan. And ONE reason only.

Season ticket holders.

The marketers have very valid fears that offering $5 tickets to football and basketball games will result in whiny Gopher season ticket holders screaming from the top of their lungs about getting a raw deal. And, that in fact always happens.

Look what happened when they decreased the upper deck cost at Williams Arena a few weeks ago. An absolute ****storm from guess who? Season ticket holders, who were not impacted in any way by that lowering of the upper deck costs. But, they complained and complained loudly.

I promise if season ticket holders promised to NOT complain about flash sales, I can absolutely, guarantee that flash sales would be a more regular occurrence.

It's a no win for the marketers. People are bitching they don't do flash sales. Then, when they do flash sales, people bitch that they are being treated unfairly because some new guy gets a cheap seat while a long-time season ticket holder pays the freight. You can't have it both ways. You can't complain they don't do flash sales and then complain when they do.

For the record, I'm in the camp that says season ticket holders mostly get the best seats and they pay a price for those seats. We are mostly paying a premium and getting a premium seat, and are offered some unique fan experiences that some dude who just dropped $20 on a ticket in a flash sales isn't getting. So, the season ticket holders need to pipe down when upper deck, crappier seats are offered at reduced rates or as part of flash sales to help fill the building. The complaining really is the ONLY reason they don't offer cheap flash sales. But, the reality is, the Gopher season ticket holder is the most entitled, whiny fanbase in the Big Ten and does not have the ability to pipe down.

Last edited:

It's a genius plan by the Twins. Get people in the seats who otherwise wouldn't have come and the Twins reap the rewards via concessions they buy.

Based on the hot start and improved weather, I highly doubt that is the case, but no real way to tell. Definitely got some folks who would not have for sure.

I’m going to bet the ‘91 team might take issue with this statement, but you’re on the right track.

The 2006 team had the MVP, batting champ, Cy Young, and one of the best relievers in baseball. Of course they then got swept in the playoffs.

Yes multiple cool factors including truly $5, hottest team since 1987, warmer weather, and they are not just winning but dominating.

1987 was magical for its own improbable, unique reasons and cast of characters.

But as far as hot teams, they were not until post season. They had a couple good months but most were .500 or below, and they were outscored. Great at home, sucked on the road. I would put 88, 91, 92, 02-04, 06, 10 as hotter regular season teams.

Say What?

There is only ONE reason the Gopher marketing department won't do this plan. And ONE reason only.

Season ticket holders.

The marketers have very valid fears that offering $5 tickets to football and basketball games will result in whiny Gopher season ticket holders screaming from the top of their lungs about getting a raw deal. And, that in fact always happens.

Look what happened when they decreased the upper deck cost at Williams Arena a few weeks ago. An absolute ****storm from guess who? Season ticket holders, who were not impacted in any way by that lowering of the upper deck costs. But, they complained and complained loudly.

I promise if season ticket holders promised to NOT complain about flash sales, I can absolutely, guarantee that flash sales would be a more regular occurrence.

It's a no win for the marketers. People are bitching they don't do flash sales. Then, when they do flash sales, people bitch that they are being treated unfairly because some new guy gets a cheap seat while a long-time season ticket holder pays the freight. You can't have it both ways. You can't complain they don't do flash sales and then complain when they do.

For the record, I'm in the camp that says season ticket holders mostly get the best seats and they pay a price for those seats. We are mostly paying a premium and getting a premium seat, and are offered some unique fan experiences that some dude who just dropped $20 on a ticket in a flash sales isn't getting. So, the season ticket holders need to pipe down when upper deck, crappier seats are offered at reduced rates or as part of flash sales to help fill the building. The complaining really is the ONLY reason they don't offer cheap flash sales. But, the reality is, the Gopher season ticket holder is the most entitled, whiny fanbase in the Big Ten and does not have the ability to pipe down.

I don't buy it.

Are twins ticket holders complaining about flash sales?

I don't think season ticket holders would in any amount that matters.

I don't care if you buy it or not, but it is 100% the reason the Gophers have not offered a lot of flash sales. "Protecting" the season ticket holder is their priority.

You would think wrong.

No, that's part of my point.

You think wrong.

I don't care if you buy it or not, but it is 100% the reason the Gophers have not offered a lot of flash sales. "Protecting" the season ticket holder is their priority.

t.

Complete BS!!!!!!!!!!!! If they cared about the season ticket holders they wouldn't have jacked the prices the way they did driving away so many season ticket holders that had been around for decades through crappy times.

Top Bottom