Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I think the more apt comparison for Gopher football would be if the Gophers offered cheap tickets for the non-conference games - $5 or $10 for unsold upper-deck tickets. to be fair, the Twins were not offering the best seats in the house for $5. the first offer was for outfield seats. the second offer was for standing-room only tickets - no seat to sit in - just walk around and watch the game.

The equivalent seats for a Gopher football game would be the upper-deck corners. Those seats are highly likely to be empty, so why not at least try to get a few more people to show up for the game. Shoot, they might have fun and buy tickets for another game. And, they might spend some money on concessions.
    And they might buy gophers gear to wear if they haven't been to a game in a while.
    Who hates iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    And they might buy gophers gear to wear if they haven't been to a game in a while.
    I wonder what the spending on concessions and etc are say someone who paid $40 vs $5 a ticket.

In order to fill every seat for an entire home schedule, the Twins have to sell nearly 3,200,000 tickets. To do the same thing for Gopher football, the team needs to sell 355,635 tickets.
    They're operating with very different numbers here, but the goal should be the same. Put as many people in those seats as possible. If you have to take a loss up front to make more money later, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by LakerFan View Post
    The other adder for the Twins that goes beyond ticket and concession revenue is that you have 32000 fans who will see that going to a Twins game with a packed house can actually be fun and maybe worth the price of regular admission someday. Yes they timed it to go along with the team being hot, that isn't a bad time to generate interest in your club. I'd be fine with the gophers waiting until they start 4-0 and then blasting a deal like this to pack the stadium for the balance of the season.
    On average, it is about 2,650 per game. Went to a game last week and there were maybe 3,500 there total. Weather was not great, but there was nobody at the game and they had a bunch of concession stands either closed or only partially open. Hat's off to the Twins for trying something, though. Going Sunday so I'll see what impact better weather, best record in MLB, and the flash sale has on attendance.

No reason at all to have over 10,000 empty seats ever again. Lower the prices and build a strong fan base. The guy with kids cant pay the big money any more.

Just had a wacky thought. Gopher FB should get a bunch of cardboard cutouts of 'fans' in maroon and gold, and stick them in the unsold seats. at least it would look better on TV.

you could have a few of them in standing pose, so the sitting cardboard fans could complain about people standing all the time.

Seriously - or at least semi-seriously - if it's 15 minutes before kickoff and there are a lot of empty seats in the stadium, let students in for free and let them sit anywhere they want in the stadium, just to have actual living beings in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski U Mah Gopher View Post
    Another thing with the sale, they waived fees. That was big, too.
    Yes multiple cool factors including truly $5, hottest team since 1987, warmer weather, and they are not just winning but dominating.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    They don't typically have as nice of weather, but they do now, so it's probably not a big concern.

I really don't think the Twins vs Gophers comparison makes sense here.

I don't have a problem with flash sales, but I think the lay of the land is quite different.
    Yes and on your second paragraph the Gophers would have to blow out their first six opponents to have a similar feel to how the Twins started the year. Itís such a short season and usually Gopher football has had a bad loss around game five that takes the air out for the casual fan and local media talkers.

Blog Entries

Different dynamics going on in May with the Twins than Gopher Football.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Blog Entries

Would they have sold many if they sucked?

Twins have been hovering around the best record in baseball...
    They would have sold more than doing nothing.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

People are renewing. - Mark Coyle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    What is this? I received quite a lecture from a meteorologist that these things donít matter in this debate.
    Simple math:
    Ticket Price * Attendance, dummy.

Just donít point out the flaws in his logic. Then he changes his argument.

Actually, itís kind of fun to wind him up. Iím almost at the point where I can predict where heíll strike from next....

Of course if PJ Fleck said the sky was chartreuse and anyone dared to say it was really blue heíd die on his sword defending the FACT that the sky really is green.

Blog Entries

They don't typically have as nice of weather, but they do now, so it's probably not a big concern.

I really don't think the Twins vs Gophers comparison makes sense here.

I don't have a problem with flash sales, but I think the lay of the land is quite different.
    Very different, but it doesnít mean you couldnít have success at it a may not work the same way, but try something vs. mumble people are renewing and leave it at that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingMyTailOff View Post
    Yes multiple cool factors including truly $5, hottest team since 1987, warmer weather, and they are not just winning but dominating.
    Iím going to bet the Ď91 team might take issue with this statement, but youíre on the right track.

Kind of like a team that won 11 of their last twelve games last year (or whatever it was) and are getting a lot of buzz now.....

Maybe give fans a reason to try it before they buy it in the first weeks of the season?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Different dynamics going on in May with the Twins than Gopher Football.
    So, what? Donít do anything? Do you work for the AD?

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    Just don’t point out the flaws in his logic. Then he changes his argument.

Actually, it’s kind of fun to wind him up. I’m almost at the point where I can predict where he’ll strike from next....

Of course if PJ Fleck said the sky was chartreuse and anyone dared to say it was really blue he’d die on his sword defending the FACT that the sky really is green.

The sky does turn green from time to time