Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    winning + media hype. The Minnesota fan market responds to the hype. That is what Gopher football needs to boost attendance. Look at all the talk about the Twins lately in the media, social media, etc. Including the National Media. Now, imagine that same level of hype surrounding Gopher football. When that happens, they will sell out the stadium. Or - IF that happens, they will sell out the stadium.
    Being 5-0 with some decisive wins going into Nebraska game will bring the media hype for the Gophs. Based on the attendance from last home stand, this road trip had the most to do with the crowds this weekend at Target Field.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Being 5-0 with some decisive wins going into Nebraska game will bring the media hype for the Gophs. Based on the attendance from last home stand, this road trip had the most to do with the crowds this weekend at Target Field.
    The weather didnít hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Twins home stand this weekend shows pretty clearly what winning can do to attendance.
    Keep in mind what the twins are doing right now is equivalent to the gophers winning their first 6 games by an average of 30 points. Not sure gopher ticket marketing should bank on that.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    The weather didn’t hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bonus. Weather was good the last home stand as well and nowhere near the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Keep in mind what the twins are doing right now is equivalent to the gophers winning their first 6 games by an average of 30 points. Not sure gopher ticket marketing should bank on that.

Gophs last three wins in 2018 were by AVG of 25.

And no out of conference stuff for the twins.

Gophs last three wins in 2018 were by AVG of 25.
    True but the horrible losses before that killed any chance for marketing momentum.

Edit: My analogy of winning their first 6 games by an average of 30 points may not have been strong enough. The Twins are the best team in baseball up to this point. They lead all of baseball in home runs, total bases, RBI, OPS, slugging percentage, and are 2nd in batting average. They have hit 8 home runs in a game twice this year. They are on pace to smash the all-time home run record. They also lead the league in run differential - they have outscored their opponents by 111 runs and if they win today (which is looking like they should) they will have won 11 of their last 12. The Twins performance thus far is, in college football terms, Alabama-like.

Throw in a holiday weekend with 2 days of 70 degrees and sunny and you have 2 sellouts.

And as a season ticket holder, I got a shorter security line and 10% off concessions yesterday.
    Last edited by Word; 05-26-2019 at 02:50 PM.

What I was alluding to - the Twins are a National story. ESPN, MLB network, etc are all talking about the Twins. Plus, heavy coverage from Twin Cities media, social media, etc.

That is the kind of buzz the Gopher football team needs to generate to really boost ticket sales. the regular die-hards on Gopher Hole can talk all they want, but for the Gophers to really change the perception, they need to be a national story, and they need to be the #1 story in the Twin Cities - #1 topic on every TV and radio station.

That is always going to be difficult, because like it or not, Gopher football season overlaps with the Vikings, and the Vikings are the #1 team in town. We'll see how the Twins season progresses - if the Twins are in the playoffs this fall, they will still be a big story. So, in order to seize the media spotlight, Gopher football has to do something dramatic enough to grab the headlines locally from the Twins and Vikings, and also command attention on the national stage - be on SportsCenter, and be the lead story on BTN - not the 4th highlight package after they get done talking about Ohio State for 15 minutes. That is a tall task.

so, the Gophers could start the season 5-0, and that might not be enough to really change perception - unless they are winning games by big margins and making highlight-reel plays on a consistent basis.

Minnesotans are notorious bandwagon jumpers. The Twins and Vikings have been the beneficiaries and victims of this disease. It wasn’t that long ago that the Vikings and their fans were begging for corporate ticket buy-outs. It was a year ago that the Twins were tanking at the box office.

The Vikings are one more dank season away from firing their best coach since Bud Grant and having games potentially blacked out. The Wild is not far away, and the Wolves become more irrelevant every season. But if they start winning like the Twins are, people will jump on like they invented the sport.

If the Gophers win and beat relevant opponents, ticket sales will go through the roof. It’s the Minnesota Way.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Minnesotans are notorious bandwagon jumpers. The Twins and Vikings have been the beneficiaries and victims of this disease. It wasnít that long ago that the Vikings and their fans were begging for corporate ticket buy-outs. It was a year ago that the Twins were tanking at the box office.

The Vikings are one more dank season away from firing their best coach since Bud Grant and having games potentially blacked out. The Wild is not far away, and the Wolves become more irrelevant every season. But if they start winning like the Twins are, people will jump on like they invented the sport.

If the Gophers win and beat relevant opponents, ticket sales will go through the roof. Itís the Minnesota Way.
    NFL hasn't blacked out games since 2015. As perplexing as it's been to me, the Vikings have had a very strong following since 1998, even in their down years. Not likely one bad year would hurt attendance that much.

True but the horrible losses before that killed any chance for marketing momentum.

Edit: My analogy of winning their first 6 games by an average of 30 points may not have been strong enough. The Twins are the best team in baseball up to this point. They lead all of baseball in home runs, total bases, RBI, OPS, slugging percentage, and are 2nd in batting average. They have hit 8 home runs in a game twice this year. They are on pace to smash the all-time home run record. They also lead the league in run differential - they have outscored their opponents by 111 runs and if they win today (which is looking like they should) they will have won 11 of their last 12. The Twins performance thus far is, in college football terms, Alabama-like.

Throw in a holiday weekend with 2 days of 70 degrees and sunny and you have 2 sellouts.

And as a season ticket holder, I got a shorter security line and 10% off concessions yesterday.
    Very special season so far for the Twins, no question. 5-0 with 20 point AVG margin and TCF will be full for Nebby. Fleck will be a one man marketing machine.

Undefeated going into the PSU game...look out.