Former Gophers/Rutgers QB Phillip Nelson getting a tryout this week at Cowboys camp

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Did he insist on starting as a requirement for getting the tryout? :p

It's too bad the direction his football career took based on one fateful...

Last edited:

Hope he makes it.

Yeah, a few bars along the way. Will be curious if he does make it. Might be working on his behind the head pass along the way that he was featured for.

What became of the other combatants? IIRC one faced prison and the other suffered some long lasting neurological deficits.

It's hard for me to root for a guy that transferred out of Minnesota then sent a guy to the hospital with brain damage and never faced the consequences. While his accomplice did.

Whether he cares less or not.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Kolstad didn’t deserve what happened to him but he did initiate the assault on Nelson. He ran up and knocked him to the ground with a shove or a punch. Then Trevor Shelley, who IIRC didn’t even know Nelson, hit Kolstad from behind and knocked him out leading to the skull fracture and brain bleed. Then Nelson kicked Kolstad while he was down which was obviously not called for but also not out of the blue. Nobody was totally innocent here and tragically reminds that a simple punch in anger, if it lands the right way, can knock someone out and lead to very serious consequences.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cy_9Ym6q15U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kolstad didn’t deserve what happened to him but he did initiate the assault on Nelson. He ran up and knocked him to the ground with a shove or a punch. Then Trevor Shelley, who IIRC didn’t even know Nelson, hit Kolstad from behind and knocked him out leading to the skull fracture and brain bleed. <b>Then Nelson kicked Kolstad while he was down which was obviously not called for but also not out of the blue. </b>Nobody was totally innocent here and tragically reminds that a simple punch in anger, if it lands the right way, can knock someone out and lead to very serious consequences.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cy_9Ym6q15U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PN9 actually crossed the street to kick a kid who was laying on the ground in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PN9 actually crossed the street to kick a kid who was laying on the ground in the head.

Not calling him a saint. Anger and alcohol is a bad mix that leads to a lot of bad outcomes.

Not calling him a saint. Anger and alcohol is a bad mix that leads to a lot of bad outcomes.

True, but to downplay what he did to “not called for” seems a bit extreme.

Nelson's Gopher career was one of the biggest bummers associated with the program over the past 10 years, in my opinion. I had really high hopes he would finally be the QB that would be lighting up B1G defenses. It felt like a combo situation where the Kill staff struggled with QB's (and Nelson proved to be no different) as well as an entitled aura surrounding Nelson and his family, where he took his ball and left rather than compete for a role he felt he was entitled to.

Meanwhile, he had is life-defining moment outside a Mankato bar and although I don't condone his actions - I am amazed at the way some here have chosen to judge him for life based on one bad 20-something college kid booze fueled decision.

SIAP... regarding the thread title, I don’t think he ever made it to Rutgers as East Carolina was his last collegiate stop.

True, but to downplay what he did to “not called for” seems a bit extreme.

Lashing out after getting hit is pretty typical human behavior, particularly under the influence of alcohol. It’s never acceptable to hit or kick an incapacitated opponent and Nelson got off very lightly IMO. I think everyone can agree with that. However, let’s not forget a cascade of bad decisions led to the outcome.

Nelson's Gopher career was one of the biggest bummers associated with the program over the past 10 years, in my opinion. I had really high hopes he would finally be the QB that would be lighting up B1G defenses. It felt like a combo situation where the Kill staff struggled with QB's (and Nelson proved to be no different) as well as an entitled aura surrounding Nelson and his family, where he took his ball and left rather than compete for a role he felt he was entitled to.

Meanwhile, he had is life-defining moment outside a Mankato bar and although I don't condone his actions - I am amazed at the way some here have chosen to judge him for life based on one bad 20-something college kid booze fueled decision.

Happenstance is a crazy thing. If he lost the fight we'd think quite differently.

Happenstance is a crazy thing. If he lost the fight we'd think quite differently.
Yeah. If he wouldn't have kicked someone in the head while they were incapacitated, and instead ran away after he fell or took some lumps, I wouldn't think he deserves more punishment.

Pretty crazy...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

If Nelson was the one that hit his head on the ground/curb/wall/hydrant and suffered a brain bleed which could easily have happened after a premeditated attack would that change anyone’s opinion of Kolstad?

If Nelson was the one that hit his head on the ground/curb/wall/hydrant and suffered a brain bleed which could easily have happened after a premeditated attack would that change anyone’s opinion of Kolstad?

Interesting question. I know I wouldn’t publicly root for him to make the Giants squad.

Top Bottom