Former University of Minnesota athletics official sentenced for fraud

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Verges:

A former assistant athletics director was sentenced Monday, May 6, to 21 months in prison for stealing $361,336 from the University of Minnesota over five years.

Brent Holck, 37, was given a lighter-than-expected sentence because he’s taken responsibility for his crime and is making efforts to pay back what he stole.

From April 2012 through January 2017, Holck would cancel ticket sales to games after they’d taken place and deposit the refunded money into his own accounts.

He also issued game tickets and parking passes to acquaintances, who then sold them and kicked back most of the proceeds to Holck.

John Kokkinen, assistant U.S. attorney, said Holck defrauded his employer over and over for five years with a sophisticated scheme that auditors could not detect.

“This was not an example of a fleeting lapse of judgment,” Kokkinen said. “This was repeated conduct over the course of five years.”

The fraud was uncovered only after a customer showed up late to an event, prompting a university review of its ticket orders.

Defense attorney Aaron Morrison said Holck was shocked when the university and prosecutors tallied up how much he had stolen.

“I think it showed … the real stranglehold that his gambling had on him,” he said.

Holck since has sought treatment for gambling addiction and is working with a financial planner to determine how to make restitution. He came to court Monday with an initial $100,000 restitution check withdrawn from his retirement account.

“He wants to make the U whole,” Morrison said.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/n...-minnesota-athletics-official-sentenced-fraud

Go Gophers!!

per Verges:

A former assistant athletics director was sentenced Monday, May 6, to 21 months in prison for stealing $361,336 from the University of Minnesota over five years.

Brent Holck, 37, was given a lighter-than-expected sentence because he’s taken responsibility for his crime and is making efforts to pay back what he stole.

From April 2012 through January 2017, Holck would cancel ticket sales to games after they’d taken place and deposit the refunded money into his own accounts.

He also issued game tickets and parking passes to acquaintances, who then sold them and kicked back most of the proceeds to Holck.

John Kokkinen, assistant U.S. attorney, said Holck defrauded his employer over and over for five years with a sophisticated scheme that auditors could not detect.

“This was not an example of a fleeting lapse of judgment,” Kokkinen said. “This was repeated conduct over the course of five years.”

The fraud was uncovered only after a customer showed up late to an event, prompting a university review of its ticket orders.

Defense attorney Aaron Morrison said Holck was shocked when the university and prosecutors tallied up how much he had stolen.

“I think it showed … the real stranglehold that his gambling had on him,” he said.

Holck since has sought treatment for gambling addiction and is working with a financial planner to determine how to make restitution. He came to court Monday with an initial $100,000 restitution check withdrawn from his retirement account.

“He wants to make the U whole,” Morrison said.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/n...-minnesota-athletics-official-sentenced-fraud

Go Gophers!!

Here's to hoping he can serve his time and get his life back on track.

Here's to hoping he pays the other $261,000 back and his wife quits working for the U as well.

What a piece of garbage. He should spend a minimum of 3 years in jail.

Steal a 10k car? Up to 10 years
Steal hundreds of thousands? 21 months

I think these acquaintances should have had to pay a price too...

Denny Hecker got 10 years and his crimes were far greater than this guy.

In MN the max sentence for auto theft is 5 years. Doubt anyone with no prior record that steals a car is getting 5 years.

Denny Hecker got 10 years and his crimes were far greater than this guy.

In MN the max sentence for auto theft is 5 years. Doubt anyone with no prior record that steals a car is getting 5 years.
Read the statute wrong.

I guess if you steal a car it can be 5 years whereas if you steal millions of dollars you get 10?

Moral of the story, steal big
You get more bang for your buck

If gambling away hundreds of thousands of AD funds and giving back some of it deserves more than 2 years, then Joel Maturi should be in Stillwater forever for gambling away millions on Tim Brewster and then giving away even more money.

Not acceptable obviously, but the department probably spent more replacing a 3 yr old field to get the colors the way they wanted. Sometimes “playing” with house money doesn’t feel the same as stealing from pensioners.

Not acceptable obviously, but the department probably spent more replacing a 3 yr old field to get the colors the way they wanted. Sometimes “playing” with house money doesn’t feel the same as stealing from pensioners.

They didn't pay anything for the new turf, that was provided courtesy of the Minnesota United soccer folks.

They didn't pay anything for the new turf, that was provided courtesy of the Minnesota United soccer folks.

But what about all the costs involved with taking out the heating coils?

Read the statute wrong.

I guess if you steal a car it can be 5 years whereas if you steal millions of dollars you get 10?

Moral of the story, steal big
You get more bang for your buck

Old saying: Do big things, they print your picture. Do little things, they print your fingers.

JTG

I wonder if this guy was active on GH? Interesting how he was finally caught.

Here's to hoping he pays the other $261,000 back and his wife quits working for the U as well.

If I recall, his wife works for the U of M and for the Golden Gopher Fund. Crazy that she wouldn't notice an extra $300k, unless he was a known gambler or something.

If I recall, his wife works for the U of M and for the Golden Gopher Fund. Crazy that she wouldn't notice an extra $300k, unless he was a known gambler or something.

Probably spent a lot of time at the Vu.

Didn't the article say he was a known gambler?

If his scam was virtually impossible to detect (as stated earlier), have others tried this in athletic departments across the U.S.?

If his scam was virtually impossible to detect (as stated earlier), have others tried this in athletic departments across the U.S.?

Well apparently it wasn't impossible to detect. Think it's one of those things that will eventually show up.

If gambling away hundreds of thousands of AD funds and giving back some of it deserves more than 2 years, then Joel Maturi should be in Stillwater forever for gambling away millions on Tim Brewster and then giving away even more money.

Zing!

This isn't the first time I've seen this nonsense on here (that his wife should quit or be forced to quit). What is this garbage based on? Guilt by association? When someone is convicted for murder and gets the death penalty, do you advocate for their spouse to be executed as well?

And yes, he is/was a known gambler. It's covered in the OP article.

This isn't the first time I've seen this nonsense on here (that his wife should quit or be forced to quit). What is this garbage based on? Guilt by association? When someone is convicted for murder and gets the death penalty, do you advocate for their spouse to be executed as well?

Haha. You should know garbage- most of your posts qualify. Your analogy is silly; not to mention the execution crack.

If a married couple work at the same organization/company, they both absolutely should not be allowed to work if one is convicted of embezzlement. Pretty simple and standard stuff.

Haha. You should know garbage- most of your posts qualify. Your analogy is silly; not to mention the execution crack.

If a married couple work at the same organization/company, they both absolutely should not be allowed to work if one is convicted of embezzlement. Pretty simple and standard stuff.

Ok, Less. The analogy is perfect. People need to actually have done something wrong in order to be punished. Where is your proof that she did anything wrong? And where did you get the goofy nonsense idea that it's "standard stuff" to punish innocent people for being associated with a guilty person?

Oh, and since you're so knowledgeable about this case, surely you're aware that he was running this racket for many years before they were even married. I'm sure that was her fault too.

That’s nothing - Trump “stole” that much through his construction efforts that resulted in numerous bankruptcies![emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s nothing - Trump “stole” that much through his construction efforts that resulted in numerous bankruptcies![emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh good, political garbage on the football board. Awesome response.

She works in fundraising and with money at the U of M. Seems like a conflict of interest. They both work for the U of M and in athletics. She had to know about an additional 300k coming in, especially knowing what he made as ticket director.

If this happened or he did this before they were married, then maybe not. He may have been fired or quit before and they just met at U of M.

Top Bottom