Former University of Minnesota athletics official sentenced for fraud

But what about all the costs involved with taking out the heating coils?

Where does this information about the heating coils being taken out come from? They are in place, working and will be used if needed for years to come. never removed.

She works in fundraising and with money at the U of M. Seems like a conflict of interest. They both work for the U of M and in athletics. She had to know about an additional 300k coming in, especially knowing what he made as ticket director.

If this happened or he did this before they were married, then maybe not. He may have been fired or quit before and they just met at U of M.

I know exactly what she does. The Golden Gopher Fund is far removed from ticketing - they likely never even saw each other during work hours on a day-to-day basis unless they went out of their way to do so. Furthermore, the kind of work she does has nothing at all to do with the revenue generated by athletics ticket sales. She would have zero idea about the money coming in or out from that activity and would have no reason to.

How do you know that she had to know about it? In all likelihood he had a separate checking account in his own name to hide it from her as well. Furthermore, he's a compulsive gambler and the money was probably going out as fast as it was coming in. He obviously hid this pretty well as he got away with it for many years (hiding it from many people who actually were in position to know directly about his activities) and yet his girlfriend/later wife, who has nothing to do with that activity and is in no position to know anything about it, clearly knew about everything going on? The faulty logic is baffling.

This isn't the first time I've seen this nonsense on here (that his wife should quit or be forced to quit). What is this garbage based on? Guilt by association? When someone is convicted for murder and gets the death penalty, do you advocate for their spouse to be executed as well?

And yes, he is/was a known gambler. It's covered in the OP article.

"They cannot arrest a husband and wife for the same crime." - George Bluth

Where does this information about the heating coils being taken out come from? They are in place, working and will be used if needed for years to come. never removed.

Long running sarcasm.

She works in fundraising and with money at the U of M. Seems like a conflict of interest. They both work for the U of M and in athletics. She had to know about an additional 300k coming in, especially knowing what he made as ticket director.

If this happened or he did this before they were married, then maybe not. He may have been fired or quit before and they just met at U of M.

If there is no evidence of her involvement, she should not be fired. I'm pretty certain they would've looked into her actions as an employee

Sounds like he was gambling and most likely hiding information from her. No reason to punish her for sins of her husband

I'm having exact same discussion with my coworker on a different case and it's infuriating to me that some insist the spouse had to have known and/or been on it.

I know exactly what she does. The Golden Gopher Fund is far removed from ticketing - they likely never even saw each other during work hours on a day-to-day basis unless they went out of their way to do so. Furthermore, the kind of work she does has nothing at all to do with the revenue generated by athletics ticket sales. She would have zero idea about the money coming in or out from that activity and would have no reason to.

How do you know that she had to know about it? In all likelihood he had a separate checking account in his own name to hide it from her as well. Furthermore, he's a compulsive gambler and the money was probably going out as fast as it was coming in. He obviously hid this pretty well as he got away with it for many years (hiding it from many people who actually were in position to know directly about his activities) and yet his girlfriend/later wife, who has nothing to do with that activity and is in no position to know anything about it, clearly knew about everything going on? The faulty logic is baffling.

That's fair. It is high likely she had no idea as most people who do things like this don't get caught and have separate accounts. He took $300k, but doesn't say what he ended with and if he was gambling, then may be nothing. I have had friends get a divorce due to gambling and she had no idea for a while until bills started getting missed or she saw other behavior changes. At a minimum, I am sure they looked into her as well, but knowing what the GGF does and her role there, you are right, she would not be near the ticket office or see him regularly.

So a long while back some random user posted claiming they "heard" that heating coils were removed at some point.

That post sort of became the poster child for ignorant "only at the U" type outrage based in ... nothing that for some reason always gains traction with a subset of really dumb people.

After that everyone started repeating it just out of sarcasm. The coils are there, nobody with a clue thinks they're not, it's just fun to say that they removed them for absurd reasons / did weird things with them.

Now having said that it is 100% true that Coyle ordered the heating coils renamed "heating coyle's" and that is something that would only happen at the U (they so crazy at the U!).

Agreed. In addition, if they are still together, she may well be helping pay the restitution to the U.

While Mr. Holck may have had a gambling problem, it appears as if both he and his wife have parking "problems/issues". A quick peek at public court records shows close to 100 parking violations between them mostly involving U of M parking lots, etc.

I don't think there is any requirement for the U to remove her from her position, but your passionate defense of here makes some pretty big assumptions and relies on some very irrelevant analogies.

That being said, she was in the best possible position to benefit financially from his dealings and we can be sure that the authorities at least looked into her knowledge of what went down and it would seem found nothing that would rise to any criminality. But you can be sure that if she had access to considerable funds of the U, they too looked to make sure every penny in every column added up in the ledger of her department.

While Mr. Holck may have had a gambling problem, it appears as if both he and his wife have parking "problems/issues". A quick peek at public court records shows close to 100 parking violations between them mostly involving U of M parking lots, etc.

Parking restrictions on campus are a joke, coupled with highly aggressive enforcement policies. It shouldn't be that surprising that they have some parking tickets, especially if their jobs required them to drive to and park at various locations on campus. I have no idea what the timeframe is for their violations, but if averaged out over the time they worked on campus - "close to 100 parking violations" averages to less than one ticket per month between them.

Is saying that you don't want to hear someone's political opinion, now considered a political opinion? Good grief.

Is writing what I wrote with a sarcasm emoji worth your comment?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must have a lot of time on your hands.

People looked up this guy's wife's parking tickets?

The desire to go all internet detective and call people out is pretty creepy. No matter what you go googling for ... nobody here knows these people.

Oh I would much rather not have to comment on political evangelists on a football board, but yet here we are.

Oh I would much rather not have to comment on political evangelists on a football board, but yet here we are.

Parking restrictions on campus are a joke, coupled with highly aggressive enforcement policies. It shouldn't be that surprising that they have some parking tickets, especially if their jobs required them to drive to and park at various locations on campus. I have no idea what the timeframe is for their violations, but if averaged out over the time they worked on campus - "close to 100 parking violations" averages to less than one ticket per month between them.

True! I have a friend that incurred well over a thousand dollars in parking tickets. That's not including the times he fell victim to the quick hook "Nekton" tow trucks that circled the campus at that time.

He also issued tickets and parking passes to personal or business acquaintances, including alumni and corporate sponsors, who then sold those tickets and gave the majority of the proceeds to Holck.

I don't buy into the idea that these buddies acting as middle men and taking a cut didn't know / shouldn't be paying restitution either. A previous article indicated they didn't know ... but dude gives you free tickets, you sell them, you get to keep a cut ... what could they think is going on?

Updated article. Funds were for gambling addiction and wife is no longer employed with the University.

http://www.startribune.com/onetime-...d-361k-to-feed-gambling- addiction/511078112/

That's good news wifey no longer employed by U in fundraising position. Absolutely mind boggling that some here thought
it's ok for her to remain employed. I guess that's the public sector mindset. No chance it would happen at a private company.

That's good news wifey no longer employed by U in fundraising position. Absolutely mind boggling that some here thought
it's ok for her to remain employed. I guess that's the public sector mindset. No chance it would happen at a private company.

She never worked in a fundraising position. And even if she had, I don't know what that has to do with anything. It's absolutely asinine that she would be fired for something she had absolutely nothing to do with. Also, what's with the demeaning "wifey" nonsense?

Last edited:

Here at Gopher Hole due process applied to the players....but apparently for wives it is guilt by association.

Top Bottom