Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 79
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Mnuchin will refuse to turn over Trump's tax returns

    Will there be a point that R's will care about any of this? Or are we now OK with forgetting checks and balances, the Congress having no oversight, and the President being completely above the law?

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/polit...own/index.html


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Will there be a point that R's will care about any of this? Or are we now OK with forgetting checks and balances, the Congress having no oversight, and the President being completely above the law?

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/polit...own/index.html
    Why ask such a rhetorical question?

  3. #3

    Default

    A president isn’t required to release his tax returns.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    A king isn’t required to release his tax returns.
    FIFY Galty.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    FIFY Galty.
    Sorry, I thought this was a serious thread.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Sorry, I thought this was a serious thread.
    Do you not believe that a subpeona'd document must be produced? By our system of laws and governance, by what right can his tax returns be withheld?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    Do you not believe that a subpeona'd document must be produced? By our system of laws and governance, by what right can his tax returns be withheld?
    Considering there are serious questions about the constitutionality of the request, the courts will rightfully decide if the returns must be produced. The courts will decide, not Congress.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FiveStarFan is my biggest fan

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    Do you not believe that a subpeona'd document must be produced? By our system of laws and governance, by what right can his tax returns be withheld?
    The House has no reason to see his tax returns. They should spend their time solving problems for the American people instead of wasting tax dollars to obtain tax returns that will prove nothing of value.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    The House has no reason to see his tax returns. They should spend their time solving problems for the American people instead of wasting tax dollars to obtain tax returns that will prove nothing of value.
    The only way to prove they hold nothing of value is to examine them. Why do you personally think Trump won't release them, particularly after loudly calling out the previous President for not showing his official birth certificate, and continued the attack even after it was provided? Seems he is hiding something, not? Personally, based on the way he conducted his business by stiffing others and lying, I think he's very likely a tax cheat (like his old buddy Cohen), and is trying not to expose such. Furthermore, he remains the subject of multiple criminal probes, beyond Mueller's probe. They have the right to see evidence as they see fit.

    Congress has Constitutional-granted authority to oversee the Executive branch. I doubt even the majority-radical-RW Supreme Court would uphold something as egregious as removing the power of Congress for oversight.
    Last edited by cncmin; 05-06-2019 at 06:22 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    Why ask such a rhetorical question?
    I don't know. Hoping to be wrong.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    A president isn’t required to release his tax returns.
    The law gives the chair of the tax committee the right to request anyone's tax return. It's black and white. And in light of the massive tax bill, it's a perfectly legitimate request to want to know how the President benefited from it and any subsequent legislation being considered.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherGod View Post
    Considering there are serious questions about the constitutionality of the request, the courts will rightfully decide if the returns must be produced. The courts will decide, not Congress.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congress passed the law after the Teapot Dome scandal. It's never been defied until now. Of course it hasn't been an issue recently because every President for the last 50 years has released them voluntarily. You're right, the courts will decide. Either the Congress still has oversight over the President, or they don't, and he has absolute power. Be careful what you wish for.
    Last edited by howeda7; 05-06-2019 at 06:37 PM.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Congress passed the law after the Teapot Dome scandal. It's never been defied until now. Of course it hasn't been an issue recently because every President for the last 50 years has released them voluntarily. You're right, the courts will decide. Either the Congress still has oversight over the President, or they don't, and he has absolute power. Be careful what you wish for.
    You and the left only want them as a political weapon. You hate Trump. There is no other reason. Just be honest. The IRS has them, he gets audited every year, Mueller no doubt saw them, there is no smoking gun. You are the boy who cried wolf. He would happily offer up his birth certificate though! You can bet on that.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    The only way to prove they hold nothing of value is to examine them.
    .
    And yet another example of why you are the gift that just keeps giving. God love ya, man.
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    So. MN
    Posts
    3,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogee Oglethorpe View Post
    And yet another example of why you are the gift that just keeps giving. God love ya, man.
    +1, the guy certainly is a beauty!
    Please consider donating to this site; especially if you are a frequent poster.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •