Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Hoiberg pushed out Brady Heiman one hour before accounting final

Go Gophers!!

I find this very interesting. Through the years, there has been a ton of conversation on Diedhiou on Gopherhole. Pitino wanted to fill out his roster and took a risk with Gaston. It obviously didn't work out, and even knowing that after a couple of years, Pitino did not push him out the door. It begs the question... are you willing to stay loyal with the players on your team in hopes that it benefits future recruiting (shows that a coach/program is completely committed to the players)? Or does winning take absolute precedence, so you take the cutthroat approach? I understand Hoiberg didn't recruit Heiman, but I wonder if a more seasoned Pitino would have asked Gaston to leave...

What a tool! Nobody should F a kid over that close to a test! Could have waited till he finished. Recruiting ammo for all other coaches!

Doesn't sound like this was done the right way. But in general I don't have a problem with coaches asking players to leave. This isn't the summer league baseball team for 13 year olds, lots of money and jobs on the line. It's Fred's job to do what is best for his program, and sometimes that involves doing things that aren't going to be very popular.

I will say this, if a coach asks a player to leave then that player should be allowed to go to any school they want.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post

Go Gophers!!
    No class at all. Pushing out a kid is one thing, but how you do it shows your true character. Absolutely no consideration for the player whatsoever! Wasn’t the B1G pushing to make scholarship offers a minimum of four years for incoming freshman?

At ISU, Hoiberg was know for getting players with questionable character. Now we know we’re that comes from!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post

Go Gophers!!
    Wow. Heiman is an in state Nebraska kid. What was the local reaction?

This doesn’t seem wise imo. Nebraska has plenty of spots to fill already, surely didn’t need the opening, and the kid was no superstar but showed some promise as a freshman big. He’s no Diedhou, that’s for sure. Heck if we hadn’t signed Freeman we might be interested. I know we offered him in HS.

curious. since the coach kicked him out, would the ncaa still make him sit a year?

Quote Originally Posted by GopherOhana View Post
    curious. since the coach kicked him out, would the ncaa still make him sit a year?
    It's Nebraska. You bet he'll have to sit. UNC, Puke, etc. No, go ahead and play right away.

Good points above about pushing out a local kid with a pretty depleted roster. I'll give Freddie the benefit of the doubt on the timing. Entirely possible he doesn't know the finals schedule of his players. Just looks like bad form on other fronts, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Man View Post
    I'll give Freddie the benefit of the doubt on the timing. Entirely possible he doesn't know the finals schedule of his players. Just looks like bad form on other fronts, though.
    This.

A lot of overreaction on this one. Social media at its finest!

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGopher View Post
    Wow. Heiman is an in state Nebraska kid. What was the local reaction?
    Reading some twitter comments, they aren't thrilled. Doesn't seem like a wise move though. If they struggle it will keep getting brought up, if they win, nobody will care.

It's college. It's May. There are finals. Everyone knows this. Not too hard for the coach to have someone do a quick check.

Overall this move doesn't seem highly atypical by any means, but it also doesn't demonstrate the perceived notion of any sense of class; the latter part seeming to me, inarguable. Unless there also happens to be character or motivation concerns that we're unaware of, it also just doesn't make much sense to me from a basketball standpoint.

Blog Entries

Wow. Pretty cold and hard to defend.

Default Not only that.......

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Wow. Pretty cold and hard to defend.
    .....I thought this kid looked pretty good in spot duty as a frosh. At the best, this is not a good P.R. start for dear Freddy. As worst he made a bad basketball decision too.

Quote Originally Posted by gopherguy15 View Post
    Through the years, there has been a ton of conversation on Diedhiou on Gopherhole. Pitino wanted to fill out his roster and took a risk with Gaston. It obviously didn't work out, and even knowing that after a couple of years, Pitino did not push him out the door.
    Oh, C'mon now. Pitino isn't an angel here. It was almost a forgone conclusion that Buggs, Gilbert, and Washington would leave the program based on Pitino's conspicuously differential treatment of them. Gaston may have been a different story given that he was an international student and may have had to leave the country if he lost a scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post

I will say this, if a coach asks a player to leave then that player should be allowed to go to any school they want.
    Certainly agree with that. With the way things are going these days, I suspect a student could get a waiver fairly easily under those circumstances.