Hoiberg pushed out Brady Heiman one hour before accounting final

For the most part athletes are not there to get an education.

That is incorrect. The overwhelming majority of college athletes are attending school to get an education.

For the most part athletes are not there to get an education. There’s also a different set of standards to be admitted. At some point it seems college basketball players will be paid to play. Not only are they getting a free education but then make thousands of dollars to play a game. I have no issue with asking a player to leave. All of you saying this shows his true character is laughable. Do you keep an employee at a company because he’s a good person? College basketball is a business. It’s about winning and doing what you think is best going forward much the same as making business decisions with employees.

Like dp pointed out, the far majority of athletes do need their education in order to make a living in life.

And since players currently don’t get paid (expect for tuition and cost of living stipend) you can throw out that conclusion.

Also, college scholarships are offered to high school kids as a four year commitment. It is a contract. A school that brings in a player has an obligation to “try and make it work”. And a new coach takes a job knowing the limitations of the job. He knows what players are at the school and which one he may be “stuck with”. How he deals with the players is a direct reflection on his character!

A business that frequently fires, high profile new hires, will not find anyone that will trust them. Especially if that new employee had to move across the country, transplant their family and enroll their kids into a new school, etc.... Nobody wants to work/play, for a manager/coach that treats their people like objects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record Neb fans dont care about how it went down. If anyone expected Hoiberg to check the time of a players final your delusional. Neb hired a big boy coach to do big boy things. Its not a charity and Heiman didnt fit the bill for what he needed. He will land on his feet. Total over reaction. Fans looking for ways to be upset over petty things.

For the record Neb fans dont care about how it went down. If anyone expected Hoiberg to check the time of a players final your delusional. Neb hired a big boy coach to do big boy things. Its not a charity and Heiman didnt fit the bill for what he needed. He will land on his feet. Total over reaction. Fans looking for ways to be upset over petty things.

Petty to you. Probably not petty to Heiman.

For the most part athletes are not there to get an education. There’s also a different set of standards to be admitted. At some point it seems college basketball players will be paid to play. Not only are they getting a free education but then make thousands of dollars to play a game. I have no issue with asking a player to leave. All of you saying this shows his true character is laughable. Do you keep an employee at a company because he’s a good person? College basketball is a business. It’s about winning and doing what you think is best going forward much the same as making business decisions with employees.

What business need was there to tell the player at that exact time? Would there have been any negative consequences of waiting a few more hours to tell him?

If a business chose to fire people right before a major event people would be mad too. Most companies try to fire people on a Tuesday or Wednesday so the employee has most of the business week to look for a new job. Most also try not to fire employees within a few days of major holidays or their birthday. People absolutely look down on companies who fire employees at bad times. There's a difference between letting someone go for business reasons and firing someone at a bad time.

What business need was there to tell the player at that exact time? Would there have been any negative consequences of waiting a few more hours to tell him?

If a business chose to fire people right before a major event people would be mad too. Most companies try to fire people on a Tuesday or Wednesday so the employee has most of the business week to look for a new job. Most also try not to fire employees within a few days of major holidays or their birthday. People absolutely look down on companies who fire employees at bad times. There's a difference between letting someone go for business reasons and firing someone at a bad time.

Haha. Where do you work, Arby's?

One hour before a big exam, the grade from which has future implications? Telling the kid bad news couldn't wait a day or two or even a week? That's pretty horrible. I just lost a lot of respect for Hoiberg, and hope he is as awful at Nebraska as he now deserves to be.

Waiting a week would have been much worse. The later it happens, the less opportunities he gets. The only thing I didn't like was that it took nearly a month after Hoiberg was hired to let the kid know.

I love this discussion, is it a business and should be treated as such and should players be treated like employees, or are these student's that should be treated accordingly, if in fact rules similar to employer/employee relationship apply why aren't athletes being paid, I feel they operate under a different set of rules and the cutthroat attitude should be condemned, if not then it is time to start paying them.

I love this discussion, is it a business and should be treated as such and should players be treated like employees, or are these student's that should be treated accordingly, if in fact rules similar to employer/employee relationship apply why aren't athletes being paid, I feel they operate under a different set of rules and the cutthroat attitude should be condemned, if not then it is time to start paying them.

Correct, if Heiman is telling the truth that he was told to leave (which he doesn't have to oblige) and he's been a good citizen and student, it's a joke. Basketball has enough scholarships where if you have a guy who's a good citizen, you can keep him. The issue lies obviously when you do that consistently.

Now the conversation could've been how his skill set doesn't fit the system and that he may not get playing time. That's the appropriate conversation to give a kid a chance to decide if he'd like to attempt to prove the coach wrong or buy into the role because he wants to be a University of Nebraska student athlete. These kids are not being paid and can should be given a little courtesy and respect as well.

In my line work, we usually do it Friday morning, give them credit for the day, but it's easier from a payroll perspective. Although one company I worked for the pay period was Th-W, so Wednesday was a big firing day there

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It's nice to see that your fandom trumps your moral code.

Great post and that is what i just do not understand. No one ever demands championships from the coaches. Swear you could win 25 games every year, be .500 in the conference and make the tourney and people would think that was legend status. Do that somewhere else and we have fans that think that coach is not so hot.

If we made the tournament every single year, but didn't make any serious runs, there would be exactly 0 fans who would consider the coach a legend. In fact, most would eventually want him fired. When it comes to our fans expectations, you love speaking in hyperbole.

Top Bottom