Huskers' $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy on display at Nebraska Medical Center

I thought the story was that Michigan bought the water jug while in MN, they forgot it after the game, they called MN to get it back and MN told them they would have to win it back? Or did I just make that up?

Here's the story:
The earthenware jug, originally used by Michigan coach Fielding H. Yost, is painted with the victories of each team. The name most likely originates in the 1869 song of the same name by Joseph Winner.

After Yost took over coaching the Wolverines in 1901, the team went on to win 28 straight games. In the meantime, Minnesota assembled one of the best teams in school history, so Gopher fans were excited about possibly ending the Wolverines' streak.

When Yost and the team came into Minneapolis for the 1903 game, student manager Thomas B. Roberts was told to purchase something to carry water. Yost was somewhat concerned that Gopher fans might contaminate his water supply.[4] Roberts purchased a five-gallon jug for 30¢ from a local variety store in Dinkytown.[5][6] The jug itself is known as a Red Wing Pottery "five gallon beehive jug", and was made in Red Wing, Minnesota.[7][1]

Twenty thousand fans watched the matchup between the two teams in an overflowing Northrop Field. Minnesota held the fabled "point-a-minute" squad to just one touchdown, but hadn't yet managed to score a touchdown of their own. Finally, late in the second half, the Gophers reached the endzone to tie the game at 6. As clouds from an impending storm hung overhead, pandemonium struck when Minnesota fans stormed the field in celebration. Eventually the game had to be called with two minutes remaining. The Wolverines walked off the field, leaving the jug behind in the locker room of the University of Minnesota Armory.[8]

The next day custodian Oscar Munson brought the jug to L. J. Cooke, head of the Minnesota athletics department,[4] and declared in a thick Scandinavian accent: "Yost left his yug." Exactly how Munson came to possess the jug is a bit of a mystery. Some accounts say that Munson purposely stole the jug in the chaos that ended the game, although most believe it was accidentally left behind. Thomas Roberts, writing in 1956, stated that the jug had served its purpose, so he intentionally left it sitting on the field.

Replica of the Little Brown Jug on display in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 2007. The real jug is kept in storage.
Still, Cooke and Munson were excited to have this little bit of memorabilia, proceeding to paint it brown (it had originally been putty-colored and currently is painted half blue, which is Michigan's color) and commemorate the day by writing "Michigan Jug –; Captured by Oscar, October 31, 1903" on the side along with the score "Michigan 6, Minnesota 6". Of course, in the spirit of the moment, Minnesota's score was written many times larger than that of Michigan.

When the two schools met in football again in 1909, Cooke and the Minnesota team captain decided that playing for the jug "might be material to build up a fine tradition between the two institutions." When presented with this idea, Yost and Michigan's captain agreed, and the jug thus became the traveling trophy it is today.[4][9] Michigan took home the jug in 1909 and 1910. Minnesota and Michigan met up again in 1919 after Michigan rejoined the Big Ten Conference, marking the first year that Minnesota won the jug outright.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Brown_Jug_(college_football_trophy)

I was there (online) when it was created. I thought it was stupid and forced (by our mascot trying to create a trophy), not natural. Even less relevant now, because Faux Pelini is old news and not funny any more.

Oh $hit....you were there? Well I guess we should concede trophy determining rights to the guy that "was there".

Oh...and I'm pretty sure that the trophy was a fan creation based on a twitter back and forth. So I'm not sure where you get that 'our mascot was trying to create a new trophy' from.

Again....it just sounds like a lazy excuse from an ornery old man....like the guy below.

Correct.

And Pelini isn’t even the coach anymore. The account should close down.

At this point, all we have here are a few hyper-staunch internet blowhards who want it to be a real trophy for no other reason than “winning” that “fight”. Just to say they won. That’s it. Nothing else tangible or helpful to the Gophers would be gained.

You know to be honest, if the trophy itself actually tried to look like a legit, thoughtful trophy, instead of a cheesy internet meme, that’d be one thing.

But, of course, that was EXACTLY what they were going for! That’s was the joke of it. Meant to live for 15 seconds and then die off.

Why does it matter who the coach is? The trophies should die when the coaches leave the program? You realize how stupid that sounds, right?

So you'd be more open to it if it were not an internet gag that had legs?

Yeah.....definite old "get off my sidewalk you damn kids" farter here.

As I posted before....we have three far better traveling trophies....but for Nebraska fans....this is probably their best. I don't know what they have with Iowa, who should be their biggest rival, but the Chair is at least organic rather than a sponsored bit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom