Huskers' $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy on display at Nebraska Medical Center

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Kelsey:

A trophy born of a Twitter exchange between Internet-famous Faux Pelini and a college mascot is on display this month at the Nebraska Medical Center.

The $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy, created in 2014, will be displayed throughout May in the Omaha hospital’s pediatric unit.

It’s been used to raise awareness for the Team Jack Foundation and pediatric brain cancer in Nebraska and the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital.

A Twitter exchange between the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers’ mascot, Goldy, and Faux Pelini, a Twitter account parodying former Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini, led to the creation of the trophy in 2014.

A make-believe bet on the game between the two schools — with Faux Pelini saying if the Huskers won, he would get to break a chair over Goldy’s back — turned into the trophy.

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebra...cle_a4a9ff01-7a6c-5336-beb9-47738c864fb5.html

Go Gophers!!

Seems like a real trophy to me.

Let's win it back and display it for the kids and at the Masonic Children's hospital at the U of M!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Seems like a real trophy to me.

Let's win it back and display it for the kids and at the Masonic Children's hospital at the U of M!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

This was the first I had heard of the charity angle associated with the trophy but I love it. Really hope this stays a thing and when we win it back in the fall the Masonic Children's hospital would be a great home for it.

This was the first I had heard of the charity angle associated with the trophy but I love it. Really hope this stays a thing and when we win it back in the fall the Masonic Children's hospital would be a great home for it.

This would be a great home for the trophy. Lets get it back!

The chair was displayed at the children's hospital last year in the Kyle Rudolph End Zone.
cb97dddaecbd37868a9cb391b30fc513.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Children’s hospitals are a great place for this “trophy”.

It does not belong in our official trophy case, and never will.

I love this trophy because there is a great story behind it. Not a great story behind the Victory Bell. I'll agree with you 4life if that never goes in the trophy case as well. Otherwise, yeah the broken chair should go in there too.

I love this trophy because there is a great story behind it. Not a great story behind the Victory Bell. I'll agree with you 4life if that never goes in the trophy case as well. Otherwise, yeah the broken chair should go in there too.

The Jug, Pig, and Axe are the only real trophies.

Bell was made-up by the Big Ten. Chair was made-up by the internet. Nothing at all wrong with charity, that’s fine, but that doesn’t make it any less made-up.

Bell was made-up by the Big Ten. Chair was made-up by the internet. Nothing at all wrong with charity, that’s fine, but that doesn’t make it any less made-up.

The Bell is a distant 4th to the other 3 but it is still a legit traveling trophy between the two schools. Most of us would have zero issues if it were to be retired at some point but it doesn't go in the same class as the broken chair.

The Chair is cool because it is totally fan created but has actually found its way to some notoriety with the programs involved. It doesn't belong as some officially sanctioned traveling trophy between the teams but I hope it sticks around and the children's hospital/charity angle stays associated with it.

Who made the Jug, Pig, and Axe real trophies? I bet back in the day there were some sticks-in-the-mud who biatched about them, too.

The chair is a real trophy by acclamation minus Gophers_4life.

Just another trinket in which the majority of its time will be spent with the opposing team.

It doesn't belong as some officially sanctioned traveling trophy between the teams but I hope it sticks around and the children's hospital/charity angle stays associated with it.

Absolutely correct. Why this isn’t good enough for some, is beyond me.

That’s pretty dang good for something that came from literally nothing on the internet one day. More than would be expected, frankly.

Ehhh, wrong. The chair was an organically created travelling trophy....the way that they should be created. And despite the fact that you don't care for it....along with Floyd, the Jug, and the Axe.....I've actually seen it on a list or two of the best travelling trophies in college football. So yeah....it may have been created as a joke....and it doesn't have a long history.....but that doesn't make it any less legitimate.

Just another trinket in which the majority of its time will be spent with the opposing team.

Well that was kind of negative.

Who made the Jug, Pig, and Axe real trophies?
Jug - Some janitor found it, it was bought in Dinkytown at a convenience store.
Pig - MN Governer had it made after the actual pig died.
Axe - Wisconsin Letterman's Club

You can't tell me that any of these origins are better/more valid for a trophy than the Chair. In terms or origin stories I would rate them:
1. Pig
2. Jug
3. Chair
4. Axe

it may have been created as a joke....and it doesn't have a long history.....

LOL

“Guys, guys, just because it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck .... I’m tellin ya! It’s not a duck!!”

Straight out of Seinfeld.

Something seriously wrong with the thinking of this guy. The chair is an awesome story and will be an awesome Trophy. It's exactly how the trophy's should be created unlike the bell that was forced on us. Why would you not want another rivalry trophy with a B1G West team? I hope you are wrong and it is an official trophy some day soon.

LOL

“Guys, guys, just because it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck .... I’m tellin ya! It’s not a duck!!”

Straight out of Seinfeld.
Read the post above yours. It's not as though the origin story for the chair is worse than the axe. So does it become legit after a certain amount of time? Is that the standard now? What about the Bell. The Bell is a far less legitimate trophy. Just so happens that we are spoiled with the best trophies in college football. But the chair might be Nebraska's best traveling trophy.

You just sound like a ornery old man.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Read the post above yours. It's not as though the origin story for the chair is worse than the axe. So does it become legit after a certain amount of time? Is that the standard now? What about the Bell. The Bell is a far less legitimate trophy. Just so happens that we are spoiled with the best trophies in college football. But the chair might be Nebraska's best traveling trophy.

At one time none of the trophy's were legit. They all went through this period. What if people like G4L got their way and Floyd never became a thing? Or the Axe? The chair has a true grass roots start and fan support. It's a great story. And I'd rather have a trophy with Nebraska than Penn St or even Michigan at this point since we don't play them often anymore.

You can't tell me that any of these origins are better/more valid for a trophy than the Chair. In terms or origin stories I would rate them:
1. Pig
2. Jug
3. Chair
4. Axe

What about THE BELL? It signifies Penn State joining the Big Ten which far outlived that pig and Faux Pelini.

I was there (online) when it was created. I thought it was stupid and forced (by our mascot trying to create a trophy), not natural. Even less relevant now, because Faux Pelini is old news and not funny any more.

I was there (online) when it was created. I thought it was stupid and forced (by our mascot trying to create a trophy), not natural. Even less relevant now, because Faux Pelini is old news and not funny any more.

Correct.

And Pelini isn’t even the coach anymore. The account should close down.

At this point, all we have here are a few hyper-staunch internet blowhards who want it to be a real trophy for no other reason than “winning” that “fight”. Just to say they won. That’s it. Nothing else tangible or helpful to the Gophers would be gained.

You know to be honest, if the trophy itself actually tried to look like a legit, thoughtful trophy, instead of a cheesy internet meme, that’d be one thing.

But, of course, that was EXACTLY what they were going for! That’s was the joke of it. Meant to live for 15 seconds and then die off.

Last edited:

The bell isn't even worth recognizing.

I remember after the 2013 game in which the Gophers ran over and lifted the trophy and big Tommy Olson pulled the bell off of the base. I thought maybe that was the end of the trophy, but they put it back together.

I remember after the 2013 game in which the Gophers ran over and lifted the trophy and big Tommy Olson pulled the bell off of the base. I thought maybe that was the end of the trophy, but they put it back together.

Amusingly Penn St. fans are just as unimpressed with the trophy as we are .... but they remember that fondly too.

Amusingly Penn St. fans are just as unimpressed with the trophy as we are .... but they remember that fondly too.

They really should just retire it. I get the desire at the time to recognize Penn State's first game in the conference but year's later that has zero significance to anyone.

The Pig, Jug and Axe have deep histories and in the case of the Pig and Axe are games played against our primary conference rivals. It means something to the team that wins the trophy. Look at all the excitement around the Axe when the team brought it home finally after the long drought. Can't see that same level of excitement ever being generated by the Bell. Make each school a copy of the trophy to display and retire it.

1. Pig
2. Jug
3. Chair
4. Axe

I thought the story was that Michigan bought the water jug while in MN, they forgot it after the game, they called MN to get it back and MN told them they would have to win it back? Or did I just make that up?

Top Bottom