Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 84
  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Demry wasn’t great or even good but even Kirk said he had virtually zero receiving options - nobody could get off or get open. Nobody could catch the freaking ball when it did arrive. His protection was as bad or worse as we saw early in the 2018 season. He didn’t have the support of the staff or the HC. All that leads to the worst statistical season since....?
    The stuff in bold would have been true if Claeys had still been the coach yet there are still those that maintain 2017 would have bee a good year without the coaching change. The defense might have been fine under Claeys that year but that offensive trainwreck was easy to see coming from a mile away.


  2. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    So you’ll allow sometimes the best players aren’t playing, and sometimes the coaches can be wrong. Fine, we’ve come full circle to the original statement.
    Coaches absolutely make mistakes, but I am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt about personnel decisions over the opinion of fans. Not sure how my Annexstad comment supports the idea that the best players aren't playing since I believe the coaches felt ZA was the best option which is why they stuck with him even when he was not at full speed. We don't have any way of knowing what all their reasons were for not turning to Morgan sooner.

  3. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    The stuff in bold would have been true if Claeys had still been the coach yet there are still those that maintain 2017 would have bee a good year without the coaching change. The defense might have been fine under Claeys that year but that offensive trainwreck was easy to see coming from a mile away.
    Apples/Oranges. TC ran a different offense and would have had a different starting QB.

  4. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Apples/Oranges. TC ran a different offense and would have had a different starting QB.
    Exactly. You can tell them it a hundred times, but they will keep going back to Croft being his QB.
    Dux Servus

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fan of Ray Williams View Post
    Exactly. You can tell them it a hundred times, but they will keep going back to Croft being his QB.
    I think Seth Green would have at least had a shot to start if Claeys was still coach. I always thought Seth's game, as seen in his high school highlights, looked similar to Mitch Leidner's style ó and both Kill and Claeys loved, loved, loved Mitch.

    Like Mitch, Seth's a big, strong guy who can run. Also like Mitch, he appears to be kind of erratic at times throwing the ball, yet with a fairly strong arm.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  6. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    I think Seth Green would have at least had a shot to start if Claeys was still coach. I always thought Seth's game, as seen in his high school highlights, looked similar to Mitch Leidner's style — and both Kill and Claeys loved, loved, loved Mitch.

    Like Mitch, Seth's a big, strong guy who can run. Also like Mitch, he appears to be kind of erratic at times throwing the ball, yet with a fairly strong arm.
    TC said as much in an interview, but water over the dam. Seth does a superlative job doing what he does when he comes in. All the credit in the world to the kid. Could have easily packed it in. I always sing his praises.

    I am optimistic with both TM and ZA. Exciting year coming up.
    Dux Servus

  7. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I agree with most of what you are saying. However, what steps did PJ take that showed he wasn't interested in winning right away?

    This is largely a myth promulgated by the "cupboard was full" crowd. Even though we ended up with 1 player drafted in the last 2 years and some of the worst QB'ing in the history of Gopher football PJ's 1st year.
    What steps? He said so. Are you calling him a liar? Did you watch the games and some of the decisions made? He was true to his word. Why question what PJ says?

    You will never know what QB would have looked like - it would have been a different offense run by a different QB that appears to be a pretty good runner. Talk about promulgating a myth....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    I agree with that sentiment. I have been in the camp that felt 2017 was going to be rough no matter who was in charge but I know there are those that believe that team was primed for another great year with Demry Croft at the helm....yep.

    To the other part, really the main thing was not going after a bunch of JUCO guys or transfers in order to try and quickly plug some of the gaping holes in the roster. Another might have been letting Morgan redshirt as opposed to throwing him out there as a true freshman when he wasn't ready and had very little around him.

    The flipside of that is what Brohm did at Purdue where he brought in a ton of JUCO guys and transfers. Now this year they are looking at replacing a big chunk of their offense because of it.
    If a coach truly isn't interested in winning right away, it will usually manifest itself in 2 ways. (1) - the coach will basically ignore Jucos and grad transfers in the recruiting process to focus exclusively on high school recruits. (2) Players on the team that were starters will be benched in favor of younger guys, i.e. the new coach's recruits. Neither of these happened under Fleck. People continue to falsely believe that PJ doesn't heavily recruit Jucos and grad transfers even though I would imagine he's averaged more per class than Kill ever did. I also can't think of a single upperclassmen who was expected to start or contribute heavily that was suddenly benched for someone who didn't appear to be significantly better.


    Morgan was a true freshman when we had to endure Rhoda and Demry. Even the best of freshmen might not be ready right away, so I wouldn't say that playing a 5th year senior and 3rd year sophomore was sacrificing the season. As for Brohm, I have no idea what he's brought in for Jucos and transfers.

  9. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Demry wasnít great or even good but even Kirk said he had virtually zero receiving options - nobody could get off or get open. Nobody could catch the freaking ball when it did arrive. His protection was as bad or worse as we saw early in the 2018 season. He didnít have the support of the staff or the HC. All that leads to the worst statistical season since....?
    Demry!

    I'm confused, I thought Claeys left PJ a "full cupboard." But now we didn't have anyone on the roster who could catch? And we were going to run the wildcat with Seth Green 50 times per game and win 10 games...

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Demry!

    I'm confused, I thought Claeys left PJ a "full cupboard." But now we didn't have anyone on the roster who could catch? And we were going to run the wildcat with Seth Green 50 times per game and win 10 games...
    The offense was never that great or dynamic under Kill/Claeys. However I do believe it would have been better under Claeys in 2017 than under PJ in 2017. That’s not saying much. There’s no question the offense looks poised to have a breakthrough year in 2019 due to recruiting and development and I’m excited to see it. If the defense stabilizes/improves and special teams is good we could have a special year.

    None of that affects what was discussed in the prior posts.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    The stuff in bold would have been true if Claeys had still been the coach yet there are still those that maintain 2017 would have bee a good year without the coaching change. The defense might have been fine under Claeys that year but that offensive trainwreck was easy to see coming from a mile away.

    I agree offense wasn’t that staff’s forte but as others pointed out different personnel and scheme may have resulted in somewhat different results. I agree the offense under PJ is trending in a better direction than what we saw over the prior regime and looks ready to take a big step forward.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    If a coach truly isn't interested in winning right away, it will usually manifest itself in 2 ways. (1) - the coach will basically ignore Jucos and grad transfers in the recruiting process to focus exclusively on high school recruits. (2) Players on the team that were starters will be benched in favor of younger guys, i.e. the new coach's recruits. Neither of these happened under Fleck. People continue to falsely believe that PJ doesn't heavily recruit Jucos and grad transfers even though I would imagine he's averaged more per class than Kill ever did. I also can't think of a single upperclassmen who was expected to start or contribute heavily that was suddenly benched for someone who didn't appear to be significantly better.


    Morgan was a true freshman when we had to endure Rhoda and Demry. Even the best of freshmen might not be ready right away, so I wouldn't say that playing a 5th year senior and 3rd year sophomore was sacrificing the season. As for Brohm, I have no idea what he's brought in for Jucos and transfers.
    It’s early but Claeys and Kill seemed to have good connections in the JUCO arena and brought in some talented heavy hitters and contributors that played well for us, mostly on defense. I’m a bit tired tonight and struggling to come up with any impact jucos under PJ to date although he’s had success with transfers like Williamson and Smith. Schad has some hype, Dickson looks the part. Excited to see what happens with these guys.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,232
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    The offense was never that great or dynamic under Kill/Claeys. However I do believe it would have been better under Claeys in 2017 than under PJ in 2017. Thatís not saying much. Thereís no question the offense looks poised to have a breakthrough year in 2019 due to recruiting and development and Iím excited to see it. If the defense stabilizes/improves and special teams is good we could have a special year.

    None of that affects what was discussed in the prior posts.
    This! Different goals/ expectations. Kill/ Claeys looked to run a more conservative offense to control the clock and limit turnovers. They emphasized special teams, field position and a solid defense. They also realized that for them it was best to control the tempo and try to keep the defense fresh.

    This isn't saying that Fleck isn't trying to do similar things. Just that it was what Kill/ Claeys tried to do.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Dinkytown
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    The offense was never that great or dynamic under Kill/Claeys. However I do believe it would have been better under Claeys in 2017 than under PJ in 2017. That’s not saying much. There’s no question the offense looks poised to have a breakthrough year in 2019 due to recruiting and development and I’m excited to see it. If the defense stabilizes/improves and special teams is good we could have a special year.

    None of that affects what was discussed in the prior posts.
    P.J. ran 8-9 total plays in 2017. He ran 3-4 route combinations and 4-5 running plays. We ran the inside zone read (read portion questionable) 80 percent of the time we ran the ball. He stripped down his playbook and took the Ls as they came.

  15. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STPGopher View Post
    This! Different goals/ expectations. Kill/ Claeys looked to run a more conservative offense to control the clock and limit turnovers. They emphasized special teams, field position and a solid defense. They also realized that for them it was best to control the tempo and try to keep the defense fresh.

    This isn't saying that Fleck isn't trying to do similar things. Just that it was what Kill/ Claeys tried to do.
    The unanswerable question of course is was the conservative offense they ran by design or was it more due to a lack of ability to find/develop playmakers on the offensive side of the ball? They did a solid job of finding RBs but their track record with QBs, WRs and to a lesser degree OL was not good. As a staff their recruiting strength was clearly on the defensive side of the ball where they found a number of solid under the radar guys.

    They didn't really have the option of trying to run a dynamic offense because they simply didn't have the personnel to do it. Contrast that against what we are seeing develop right now in regards to an offense with playmakers all over the place working behind what looks like it could be a really good offensive line.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •