Who are the new recruits?

schlegs

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a bump thread... just haven't had enough time to pay attention (stop by pittsburgh blue rochester mn for your local gophers games)... from what i've been able to capture we have athleticism and height coming in... just was wondering if anyone could give a little scouting report on our team...looking at next year...player by player would be preferred, but appreciate any input

go gophs

Others on here can probably give you a better summary than I can but I’ll give it a crack...

Sam Freeman - 6’10 220 developmental center. There’s not a ton out there on Sam but I think he’ll be similar to Omersa in that, he has the raw tools you look for but probably needs a year or two to develop. Has been billed as a good rebounder and defender so hopefully that can be what he gives us in the short term. Gotta imagine he splits minutes with Curry next year at the 5. Overall, Freeman and Omersa will tell us a lot about the staff’s ability to develop. Can they mold them into dependable players?

Tre Williams - 6’4 180 slashing wing. The adjustment to college ball shouldn’t be too steep for him having spent time at a prep school and physically he looks ready. He should be a nice scoring spark off the bench and looks a willing defender. Not sure he’ll ever be considered a shooter but should be capable enough. Expect him to spell Gabe and hopefully Amir next year. He also plays with some attitude and isn’t afraid to jaw back and forth with opponents. Not something you want him to make a habit of but we need more players with that kind of confidence that aren’t afraid to back down imo.

Isaiah Ihnen - 6’9 190 combo forward. Tough to really know what we’ll get out of him in the short term as he adjusts to basketball and life over here but there’s not a ton of guys out there at his size that can handle the ball and shoot like him. He has the physical profile and skill to be a good two way player and how quickly he develops will depend largely on how he fills out. Looking forward to reading Pitino’s practice reports and the fall scrimmage. We’ll see if the hype is real.

Alihan Demir - 6’9 232 stretch 4. I think it’s important to keep expectations low with grad transfers as they tend to be pretty hit or miss but Demir looks like he should at least be a serviceable starting PF. Anything more should be viewed as a bonus in my mind and could mean it’s a special season. Alihan’s ability to stretch the floor and create for himself and others should help maximize the scoring potential of this team. Coffey and Carr should have more success attacking off the dribble than our guards did last year and it’ll be harder to double Oturu when he’s surrounded by capable shooters. Demir isn’t going to be Jordan Murphy but may be a better fit next to Oturu.

Marcus Fuller reports that Ihnen is closer to 210 lbs. and the Freeman thread says that he's closer to 230 lbs.

Ihnen is rated as a top 75 recruit by some and Pitino thinks he would have been a top 50 player if he was from the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marcus Fuller reports that Ihnen is closer to 210 lbs. and the Freeman thread says that he's closer to 230 lbs.

They are young and could well put on good weight fairly easily.

Top Bottom