When Could ESPN GameDay Visit These 11 P5 Schools for the First Time? (MN Nov 30)

Have you seen the attendance lately at TCF? Furthermore I doubt if people would stand around to wave at the camera. I have other things I'd rather do on the day of the game. Not sure what you don't understand.

Well, then we won't see you there. If Gameday comes, it means the game is big, and it is an event. Gophs are 7-1 or 8-0, and PSU comes in 7-1 or 6-2, both will be ranked in the teens or maybe better. I'm pretty sure fans will show up and fill out TCF. Same for Nov. 30, if Gameday is there it is because it is the marquee match up of the week and a big game. Fans will come.

As an 'old' person, my question would be: Do students come "by the thousands" to Gopher football games? Is the student section anywhere near full on game days?

Gameday goes to games that are big match ups, and would be the only way it comes to TCF. I it comes for PSU or Wisky games, it is because it will be a match up of two highly ranked teams. If that is the case, students will absolutely be out in the thousands and fill the students section. I can see TCF being close to sellouts in either case.

Last edited:

If this team is highly ranked with Becky the same and winner goes to the BiG championship I can say that the stadium would be very likely sold out, and it would be mostly Maroon and Gold. This is a football town and everybody loves a winner. I'd be shocked if it didn't sell out. People will get on board with this team if they start winning I've seen it with the Vikes, Wolves, and Twins. Hopefully it can happen and then we can yap about us not getting game day. ESPN loves ratings but they also like gimmicks. Is the Axe compelling enough?

Maybe Gameday comes twice...for the 8-0 Gophs and then for the 11-0 Gophs.

Isn't 30k fans more than 19.8k fans?

30K in a 60K stadium is a much worse atmosphere than 19.8K in a 19.8K stadium. No worries tho - you are counting on the U Admin to fill those other 30K seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't 30k fans more than 19.8k fans?

You're not making any sense at all. If the Big House in Ann Arbor had 51,000 fans, it would look and sound like a graveyard. Those same 51,000 fans would make TCF look and sound like a rock concert.

Which do you think is more impressive to a t.v. viewer?

We should start Big 10 play with Wisconsin and end with Iowa. That is what would be best scenario for the Gophers

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Which do you think is more impressive to a t.v. viewer?

Maybe for the game.

Gameday is a completely separate telecast, of a completely separate event.

Again, when Gameday was in Fargo, those NDSU games I don’t even think were on ESPN those days.

Last edited:

As an 'old' person, my question would be: Do students come "by the thousands" to Gopher football games? Is the student section anywhere near full on game days?

The TCU game was PACKED! it took an hour plus to get through the gate the lines were so long.

30K in a 60K stadium is a much worse atmosphere than 19.8K in a 19.8K stadium. No worries tho - you are counting on the U Admin to fill those other 30K seats.

In all seriousness, Gameday is in the morning and if the game is later or in the evening, which many times they are, the stadium won't even be an issue. Does Gameday only go to sights that ABC or ESPN have the broadcast rights?

In the end, the entire greek system and other student organizations would embrace having Gameday on campus and would be a huge part of a future culture change for fans of Gopher Football.

In all seriousness, Gameday is in the morning and if the game is later or in the evening, which many times they are, the stadium won't even be an issue. Does Gameday only go to sights that ABC or ESPN have the broadcast rights?

In the end, the entire greek system and other student organizations would embrace having Gameday on campus and would be a huge part of a future culture change for fans of Gopher Football.

Very much agree.

The game happening at the site (and sometimes that’s not even true, ie Fargo in downtown) of the Gameday broadcast can be completely inconsequential to Gameday and it’s program for that morning (ie, NDSU’s games). They just need a crowd of fans to stand in the background, whoop and holler, and hold signs. Easy enough.

No, they go to non-ESPN games like Bama - LSU, but I think they bias toward supporting their featured game that week. If you look at the week of the Penn State game there aren’t obvious picks for the prime time ABC game. Maybe?

If we're playing well and the opponent is as well TCF will be full

If we're playing well and the opponent is as well TCF will be full

I hope you're right. However, I don't remember any sellouts for a 9-4 team in Claeys' one and only full season as head coach. That team played pretty well.

I think Minnesotans are just a different breed. I'm making a generalization, but I feel we're more reserved than fans in other locales. And there's so much competition for the sports dollar here. It's tough for the Gophers to compete with the Vikings in particular for the sports fans' time, attention and discretionary spending.

Also, the students in at the U seem to me to have an attitude of 'meh' when it comes to Gopher football, especially when compared to the atmosphere you see at other B1G schools.

I sincerely hope I'm proved to be dead wrong on this matter. Maybe Fleck and his relentless enthusiasm and energy will be the catalyst for change.

I hope you're right. However, I don't remember any sellouts for a 9-4 team in Claeys' one and only full season as head coach. That team played pretty well.

I think Minnesotans are just a different breed. I'm making a generalization, but I feel we're more reserved than fans in other locales. And there's so much competition for the sports dollar here. It's tough for the Gophers to compete with the Vikings in particular for the sports fans' time, attention and discretionary spending.

Also, the students in at the U seem to me to have an attitude of 'meh' when it comes to Gopher football, especially when compared to the atmosphere you see at other B1G schools.

I sincerely hope I'm proved to be dead wrong on this matter. Maybe Fleck and his relentless enthusiasm and energy will be the catalyst for change.

I was flipping channels last evening and came upon LSU vs Alabama (if I recall correctly), playing softball.

Softball.

The stadium looked like it seated around 10k, looked pretty full, and they had some serious cheering fans behind home plate (even a guy wearing a professional wrestling belt).

So yeah ... I don’t think we, or Wisconsin or Iowa, will ever see that level of diehard college fandom. That’s just different. They probably have loud cheering fans at golf meets.

I was flipping channels last evening and came upon LSU vs Alabama (if I recall correctly), playing softball.

Softball.

The stadium looked like it seated around 10k, looked pretty full, and they had some serious cheering fans behind home plate (even a guy wearing a professional wrestling belt).

So yeah ... I don’t think we, or Wisconsin or Iowa, will ever see that level of diehard college fandom. That’s just different. They probably have loud cheering fans at golf meets.
Ever been to gopher volleyball?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Ever been to gopher volleyball?

Yes! Fans come out relatively big for a top 5 program in the nation. Also one of the best states for producing top level talent, per capita.

My point is weakened, but still stands.

Week 7 vs Nebraska is the best shot for Gameday in my opinion, if both teams are undefeated. Nebraska would have wins vs Ohio St and Northwestern, and I think the Frost vs Fleck story line would be of great interest to a national audience. Not to mention the potential re-emergence of Nebraska as a true power under Frost is a story the national media is salivating over.

I have foggy rememberance of something called Gameday.

They really should move the rivalry games around, having most of them on the same weekend, especially on the worst possible weather weekend is just dumb.

Dilly bar Dan would disagree with you and tell those Sally’s to suck it up.

Maybe not a sellout, but 49,000 fans for the Iowa game in 2016 came close. Average attendance was 43,800. Not great, but 6,000 more than last year. And the year before that the average -- average -- was 52,300. That was only three seasons ago.

Some (not all) of the problem during the Claeys season (and since) was the second scholarship seating bump. That still exists, of course, but Minnesotans have proven they will support the Gophers if they're competitive, the games are interesting and prices are fair. We'd have two out of those three if Game Day comes. And, frankly, I'dlm sure the U would would offer cheap tickets to get people in the stadium in that case.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can see the Gameday set on Northrup Plaza, with the crowd set up on the Mall.

If the Gophers are indeed 8-0, the attendance crowd will take care of itself against PSU. They have to win out the noncons, and then win at Purdue on the road. Take care of Illinois and Nebraska at home, beat Rutgers on the road, and then take care of Maryland at home. This may the most difficult "easiest" schedule.

Last edited:

I can see the Gameday set on Northrup Plaza, with the crowd set up on the Mall.

That would be beautiful.

Game date is November 9th; maybe we'd get a little cold and snow to chill our opponents. Or, as we sometimes see here in the True North, a crisp, golden fall day.

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

It could happen...

Does anyone know if the 2nd youngest team in America has ever had Gameday visit? This could be monumental.

As was speculated in earlier posts, the game may be broadcast on Fox, BTN, Aggivision, whatever. Having the game on ABC/ESPN is not a condition to be on Gameday. Game attendance likely won't be an issue.

Week 7 vs Nebraska is the best shot for Gameday in my opinion, if both teams are undefeated. Nebraska would have wins vs Ohio St and Northwestern, and I think the Frost vs Fleck story line would be of great interest to a national audience. Not to mention the potential re-emergence of Nebraska as a true power under Frost is a story the national media is salivating over.

That definitely would be ideal.

I'd bet Fargo gets it again before we ever do.

I'd bet Fargo gets it again before we ever do.

I doubt it. They’ve been there and done that. It’s a one trick pony: they beat the weak FCS competition with FBS level players from the north central states that don’t get recruited by FBS teams. The big hole in the north central US of FBS teams both enables NDSU’s success in the minor leagues, and prevents it from being able to move up. So they make the best of it that they can.

Top Bottom