When Could ESPN GameDay Visit These 11 P5 Schools for the First Time? (MN Nov 30)

Would they actually do that in the freezing cold?

per Coffaro:

MINNESOTA: NOV. 30 VS. WISCONSIN
Let's imagine a world where P.J. Fleck and company row their boat to a Big Ten West title showdown against the Badgers in late November.

https://herosports.com/college-football/power-5-schools-no-espn-college-gameday-aiai

Go Gophers!!

Absolutely unlikely.

Espn would never give up the chance to broadcast from the iron bowl or osu-mi.

Unless both MN and WI were undefeated/1 loss, they ain't coming here on the last weekend of the regular season

They really should move the rivalry games around, having most of them on the same weekend, especially on the worst possible weather weekend is just dumb.

IMO Minnesota / Penn State has a better shot. Things line up really well schedule-wise to give the Gophers a shot at 8-0 going into that game.

That would put the Gophers around #7-10 in the nation I’m guessing, and that might be enough to get Gameday to Minnesota on a slow week where the only big game is Bama-LSU, a CBS game.

There’s a lot of competition on Rivalry Week.

IMO Minnesota / Penn State has a better shot. Things line up really well schedule-wise to give the Gophers a shot at 8-0 going into that game.

That would put the Gophers around #7-10 in the nation I’m guessing, and that might be enough to get Gameday to Minnesota on a slow week where the only big game is Bama-LSU, a CBS game.

I agree that there's too much competition on Rivalry Week. I also share your optimism regarding the Gophers having a real shot at being 8-0 going into that game.

But Minnesota ranked #7-#10 in the nation, based on an 8-0 start? Not a chance. Not Minnesota. Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan at 8-0 might be ranked that high. My/our Gophers, not so much.

I'm not sure if I would support it regardless of when it is. Really, what do we get gain by doing this? Would we have enough spectators to do this, meaning standing around waving at the cameras?

It would be so cold, Lee Corso would get up and leave in the middle of the broadcast—which is something he’s never done before!

Last edited:

I agree that there's too much competition on Rivalry Week. I also share your optimism regarding the Gophers having a real shot at being 8-0 going into that game.

But Minnesota ranked #7-#10 in the nation, based on an 8-0 start? Not a chance. Not Minnesota. Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan at 8-0 might be ranked that high. My/our Gophers, not so much.

I looked out of curiosity and for at least the past 7 years every P5 team that reached 8-0 in Week 10 was ranked no worse than #10. This includes non traditional powers and comparable teams like Iowa and Wisky.

I looked out of curiosity and for at least the past 7 years every P5 team that reached 8-0 in Week 10 was ranked no worse than #10. This includes non traditional powers and comparable teams like Iowa and Wisky.

Wow! Assuming you're correct (and I have no reason to doubt you) that's an amazing fact. That makes me even more excited for the 2019 season.

I'm not sure if I would support it regardless of when it is. Really, what do we get gain by doing this? Would we have enough spectators to do this, meaning standing around waving at the cameras?
Is this a serious post?

They really should move the rivalry games around, having most of them on the same weekend, especially on the worst possible weather weekend is just dumb.

Take a peek at the Gophers 2020 and 2021 schedules. Iowa and wisconsin are much earlier in the season

Pretty sure ESPN would veto coming here until we can fill the stadium at least half way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure ESPN would veto coming here until we can fill the stadium at least half way.

They've been to Fargo twice. They put less than 20k in their stadium. We can double that and then some, easily. Who cares what the arbitrary capacity is??

They've been to Fargo twice. They put less than 20k in their stadium. We can double that and then some, easily. Who cares what the arbitrary capacity is??

Because half-filled stadiums aren’t very exciting.

Is this a serious post?

Have you seen the attendance lately at TCF? Furthermore I doubt if people would stand around to wave at the camera. I have other things I'd rather do on the day of the game. Not sure what you don't understand.

Arbitrary.

Yeah that team sucks, they only got 500k people to come to their 1M capacity stadium. Pay them no attention

What is your argument here? That our stadium looks good on game day and we have an electric atmosphere? I have no idea what you are going after here. 30K looks bad at TCF - nothing arbitrary about it.

Have you seen the attendance lately at TCF? Furthermore I doubt if people would stand around to wave at the camera. I have other things I'd rather do on the day of the game. Not sure what you don't understand.

Old people maybe not. The students, on the other hand, would come by the thousands.

What is your argument here?

Even 30k >> 19.8k (or whatever their measly sellout is)

But that's a silly moot point, because when Gameday eventually gets here ... if needed, U admin will be paying people under the table to be gathered around the TV set the whole time, and to go to the game to give the appearance of a sellout. Shouldn't need to, the novelty and excitement alone should do the trick, but nevertheless just in case, they will.

Old people maybe not. The students, on the other hand, would come by the thousands.

Think so? Maybe. I don’t know if the students will are about gameday. Do students watch espn?

Even 30k >> 19.8k (or whatever their measly sellout is)

But that's a silly moot point, because when Gameday eventually gets here ... if needed, U admin will be paying people under the table to be gathered around the TV set the whole time, and to go to the game to give the appearance of a sellout. Shouldn't need to, the novelty and excitement alone should do the trick, but nevertheless just in case, they will.

So your plan is to count on the U Admin to bring in fans. Not the greatest track record there.

As an 'old' person, my question would be: Do students come "by the thousands" to Gopher football games? Is the student section anywhere near full on game days?

If this team is highly ranked with Becky the same and winner goes to the BiG championship I can say that the stadium would be very likely sold out, and it would be mostly Maroon and Gold. This is a football town and everybody loves a winner. I'd be shocked if it didn't sell out. People will get on board with this team if they start winning I've seen it with the Vikes, Wolves, and Twins. Hopefully it can happen and then we can yap about us not getting game day. ESPN loves ratings but they also like gimmicks. Is the Axe compelling enough?

I think PSU games is the more likely as well. Would love it to be Nov. 30.

Absolutely unlikely.

Unless both MN and WI were undefeated/1 loss, they ain't coming here on the last weekend of the regular season

These. And as others have mentioned....November 30th in Minnesota? I doubt they'd consider that due to the temperature. After looking it up, the average temperature around November 30th is low 20's, which isn't too bad for most of us.....but it's devestating for most. But being at those late season games....it always seems to be colder. I remember the Wisconsin game from several years back when it was near zero. Like many have said....there's no chance that's in play for Gameday. Corso's face would freeze in place.

The Penn State game on the other hand......

Absolutely unlikely.

If this team is highly ranked with Becky the same and winner goes to the BiG championship I can say that the stadium would be very likely sold out, and it would be mostly Maroon and Gold. This is a football town and everybody loves a winner. I'd be shocked if it didn't sell out. People will get on board with this team if they start winning I've seen it with the Vikes, Wolves, and Twins. Hopefully it can happen and then we can yap about us not getting game day. ESPN loves ratings but they also like gimmicks. Is the Axe compelling enough?

Behind Floyd....it's widely considered the best traveling trophy. If Blucky and the Gophers were both highly ranked....playing for the West....there's no doubt that they could ramp up the game with major promotion including the Axe. Using prior storming footage to reclaim the Axe? That would definitely play well.

Top Bottom