When Could ESPN GameDay Visit These 11 P5 Schools for the First Time? (MN Nov 30)

I'd bet Fargo gets it again before we ever do.
We’d better sack up and schedule the storied Incarnate Word program if we want to get such “serious” consideration.

As an 'old' person, my question would be: Do students come "by the thousands" to Gopher football games? Is the student section anywhere near full on game days?

Student here. Student section attendance here (for both football and basketball) ebbs and flows with the amount of hype behind a team. For example, the basketball game against Miami was easily the most rowdy atmosphere that I've been a part of. If the team was successful enough to earn a visit from Gameday, I have no doubt that both the broadcast and the game would be packed with students. I've done my best to show up for every game, and I think I've only missed one football game in my time here. The majority of students, however, are definitely "meh" on going to games for a team that isn't a standout. This comes down to a few things.

The culture on campus just isn't huge for sports if they aren't demanding attention. I grew up in Wisconsin so I went to my share of Badger games. They're able to put fans in the stadium, regardless of team performance (to a certain extent) because Saturdays are about more than just the game. This does lead to its own issues, like the student section only being full for the 3rd quarter, but that's a separate beast altogether. Students don't have many options for tailgating at the U. The majority of upperclassmen live in apartments or houses up to a mile and a half off campus. Frat row always has something, but there's a degree of exclusivity that turns many students away. There is a student specific lot for tailgating, but it's hardly advertised and, to be frank, most underage kids aren't going to want to be in a place patrolled by police officers. Our best bet is having a friend with a parent in one of the tailgating lots, or just winging it and getting to the stadium at game time.

I hate to say it, but our student section doesn't really do anything to make it unique. You see other student sections dancing with the band, singing along to music, or doing whatever choreographed cheers they've come up with. We have a few of these, but not enough people know them or care enough to participate, so it doesn't have any effect. I don't really know who takes the blame here. I've tried emailing the "rooter club" with suggestions, but I doubt they're taken seriously. Why not have a pregame "SKI U MAH" chant going around the stadium? One side says SKI, student section says U, other side says MAH. Simple. The freshmen have a pep rally as part of their first week on campus, so why not integrate the entire student body and teach them what they need to know.

Finally, and this seems like an issue that goes past students, but the U could do so much more to get students to games. More promotions, or "gold outs", or ticket giveaways. Obviously they can't give away tickets for free, but they had on of those days for basketball last season and the line was out the door pregame. As much as I am wary of false expectations, the marketing department needs to ride our preseason rankings HARD. They did for basketball two years ago, and season tickets for students sold out.

I think PJ is the type of coach this school needs to get students involved. We'll see if it happens this year.

Student here. Student section attendance here (for both football and basketball) ebbs and flows with the amount of hype behind a team. For example, the basketball game against Miami was easily the most rowdy atmosphere that I've been a part of. If the team was successful enough to earn a visit from Gameday, I have no doubt that both the broadcast and the game would be packed with students. I've done my best to show up for every game, and I think I've only missed one football game in my time here. The majority of students, however, are definitely "meh" on going to games for a team that isn't a standout. This comes down to a few things.

The culture on campus just isn't huge for sports if they aren't demanding attention. I grew up in Wisconsin so I went to my share of Badger games. They're able to put fans in the stadium, regardless of team performance (to a certain extent) because Saturdays are about more than just the game. This does lead to its own issues, like the student section only being full for the 3rd quarter, but that's a separate beast altogether. Students don't have many options for tailgating at the U. The majority of upperclassmen live in apartments or houses up to a mile and a half off campus. Frat row always has something, but there's a degree of exclusivity that turns many students away. There is a student specific lot for tailgating, but it's hardly advertised and, to be frank, most underage kids aren't going to want to be in a place patrolled by police officers. Our best bet is having a friend with a parent in one of the tailgating lots, or just winging it and getting to the stadium at game time.

I hate to say it, but our student section doesn't really do anything to make it unique. You see other student sections dancing with the band, singing along to music, or doing whatever choreographed cheers they've come up with. We have a few of these, but not enough people know them or care enough to participate, so it doesn't have any effect. I don't really know who takes the blame here. I've tried emailing the "rooter club" with suggestions, but I doubt they're taken seriously. Why not have a pregame "SKI U MAH" chant going around the stadium? One side says SKI, student section says U, other side says MAH. Simple. The freshmen have a pep rally as part of their first week on campus, so why not integrate the entire student body and teach them what they need to know.

Finally, and this seems like an issue that goes past students, but the U could do so much more to get students to games. More promotions, or "gold outs", or ticket giveaways. Obviously they can't give away tickets for free, but they had on of those days for basketball last season and the line was out the door pregame. As much as I am wary of false expectations, the marketing department needs to ride our preseason rankings HARD. They did for basketball two years ago, and season tickets for students sold out.

I think PJ is the type of coach this school needs to get students involved. We'll see if it happens this year.
That's a fair statement

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

If Gameday came to campus, any idea where they would set up the gameday stage?

When BTN Tailgate came to town in 2017 against Illinois, I believe they set up somewhere near Mariucci. IMO on TV it looked okay, but not great. It was also raining which plays a part. But it's close to tailgate lots and the stadium, so that area works.

They could do something similar to TCU, BC, and Washington where they set up the stage in their campus mall/quad. There would be plenty of space and great aerial shots of campus. The question would be if you can get enough people to leave their normal tailgate spots to come to the mall

If Gameday came to campus, any idea where they would set up the gameday stage?

When BTN Tailgate came to town in 2017 against Illinois, I believe they set up somewhere near Mariucci. IMO on TV it looked okay, but not great. It was also raining which plays a part. But it's close to tailgate lots and the stadium, so that area works.

They could do something similar to TCU, BC, and Washington where they set up the stage in their campus mall/quad. There would be plenty of space and great aerial shots of campus. The question would be if you can get enough people to leave their normal tailgate spots to come to the mall
Northrup mall for sure

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I doubt it. They’ve been there and done that. It’s a one trick pony: they beat the weak FCS competition with FBS level players from the north central states that don’t get recruited by FBS teams. The big hole in the north central US of FBS teams both enables NDSU’s success in the minor leagues, and prevents it from being able to move up. So they make the best of it that they can.

I would agree. I don't see FCS NDSU getting one soon. Then again if they are going for their 8th FCS national Championship they could get one on that day.

Hmm...They actually do, or have done the things you mention. Ski U Mah chant (banner roll out over student section), gold out, etc. Most Soph-Seniors were Freshmen and went to the pep rally you speak of. Been doing Hail MN after games for a long time but most students don't stay to take part. Kill routinely gave away tickets, in person. They give a couple grand away in scholarship $$ every home game.

I do agree that winning will help fill the student section.

As a student who says you've been to most games, I find it interesting you have not noticed these...

There’s also some chance that Minnesota could make their first Gameday appearance this year, as a visiting team. Which itself has some cachet.

Minnesota @ Iowa could be a very big November game, with the best trophy in college sports on the line.

There’s also some chance that Minnesota could make their first Gameday appearance this year, as a visiting team. Which itself has some cachet.

Minnesota @ Iowa could be a very big November game, with the best trophy in college sports on the line.

So Gophs could be part of three Gamedays...

Hmm...They actually do, or have done the things you mention. Ski U Mah chant (banner roll out over student section), gold out, etc. Most Soph-Seniors were Freshmen and went to the pep rally you speak of. Been doing Hail MN after games for a long time but most students don't stay to take part. Kill routinely gave away tickets, in person. They give a couple grand away in scholarship $$ every home game.

I do agree that winning will help fill the student section.

As a student who says you've been to most games, I find it interesting you have not noticed these...

The banner roll out is cool, but the Ski U Mah doesn't feel heard. I meant something like what VT does here with "Let's Go... Hokies". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkwedgEH3gs

Hail Minnesota is also great when students actually stay, but singing the alma mater is something that just about every school does. I wasn't here during the Kill era, so I can't speak to that. And yes, the scholarship giveaway is probably the best thing they've done to keep students at the game through most of the 4th quarter, though games like the Indiana one show that bad weather trumps the chance at $2000 for a lot of us (I stayed until the end of that game, too). I didn't mean to imply that the traditions don't exist; rather, that they aren't well-known enough or exciting enough to make a real impact on anything. So yes, it is interesting that I haven't noticed these because they aren't taking seriously enough by most students.

The pep rally was a great part of Welcome Week, and it gets the freshmen jacked up. They get free tickets for the first game and that game has been the most packed student section of the season. Why not renew that experience for everyone every year? Yeah, it's cool to be a part of when you're new here, but the fun of that night certainly doesn't sustain school pride for four years if you're a more casual fan.

Last edited:

The banner roll out is cool, but the Ski U Mah doesn't feel heard. I meant something like what VT does here with "Let's Go... Hokies". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkwedgEH3gs

Hail Minnesota is also great when students actually stay, but singing the alma mater is something that just about every school does. I wasn't here during the Kill era, so I can't speak to that. And yes, the scholarship giveaway is probably the best thing they've done to keep students at the game through most of the 4th quarter, though games like the Indiana one show that bad weather trumps the chance at $2000 for a lot of us (I stayed until the end of that game, too). I didn't mean to imply that the traditions don't exist; rather, that they aren't well-known enough or exciting enough to make a real impact on anything. So yes, it is interesting that I haven't noticed these because they aren't taking seriously enough by most students.

The pep rally was a great part of Welcome Week, and it gets the freshmen jacked up. They get free tickets for the first game and that game has been the most packed student section of the season. Why not renew that experience for everyone every year? Yeah, it's cool to be a part of when you're new here, but the fun of that night certainly doesn't sustain school pride for four years if you're a more casual fan.

I think the students at the U, for reasons I can't fully explain, are less likely to be truly enthusiastic fans and much more likely to be 'casual' fans than students at other B1G schools. It's been that way since way back when I was a student. I've had Iowa and Wisconsin grads mention this to me.

When you think about it, the U always claims they want to connect with our rich history, (7 National titles!) but then they try stuff like tearing down Memorial Stadium and playing in the god-awful MetroDome... off campus, mind you! Can you imagine Iowa tearing down Kinnick, or Michigan tearing down The Big House and playing in the Lions' stadium?

Is the marketing message 'Tradition!', or is it 'better wi-fi'? Is it the Rouser, or is it current music that appeals to millennials?

Last edited:

I think the students at the U, for reasons I can't fully explain, are less likely to be truly enthusiastic fans and much more likely to be 'casual' fans than students at other B1G schools. It's been that way since way back when I was a student. I've had Iowa and Wisconsin grads mention this to me.

When you think about it, the U always claims they want to connect with our rich history, (7 National titles!) but then they try stuff like tearing down Memorial Stadium and playing in the god-awful MetroDome... off campus, mind you! Can you imagine Iowa tearing down Kinnick, or Michigan tearing down The Big House and playing in the Lions' stadium?

Is the marketing message 'Tradition!', or is it 'better wi-fi'? Is it the Rouser, or is it current music that appeals to millennials?

I absolutely agree that there's a difference from other B1G schools. The only thing I could really point to is that in-state students grew up with so many pro teams to root for, and for many this meant that supporting a mediocre college program lost its appeal regardless of tradition. That base of school pride isn't as prevalent when they come here. No other B1G school has that same challenge. And man, I do wonder how far the move to the MetroDome set back student support. A modernized Memorial Stadium to match the Barn would have a way higher appeal than the Metrodome (though I adore TCF Bank Stadium).

You said it yourself, it's a much more deeply rooted issue than this current generation. It's really at the point where the only thing that will put students in the stands is getting wins.

I absolutely agree that there's a difference from other B1G schools. The only thing I could really point to is that in-state students grew up with so many pro teams to root for, and for many this meant that supporting a mediocre college program lost its appeal regardless of tradition. That base of school pride isn't as prevalent when they come here. No other B1G school has that same challenge. And man, I do wonder how far the move to the MetroDome set back student support. A modernized Memorial Stadium to match the Barn would have a way higher appeal than the Metrodome (though I adore TCF Bank Stadium).

You said it yourself, it's a much more deeply rooted issue than this current generation. It's really at the point where the only thing that will put students in the stands is getting wins.

I love the Bank as well. I always saw it as a respectful tribute to Memorial Stadium — and Gopher tradition.

And you're right: winning is the key. Make a winning team the new normal. Winning will raise expectations, and pump up the excitement levels.

They literally used to do this every game. Ended during Claeys' year as HC because not enough of the stadium showed up for it, and they did it for years (since TCF opening day I think). The student section, which at that point maybe was 1/4 to 1/3 full was twice as loud as the other two sections and even that wasn't very loud.

The problem with a lot of your suggestions is when implemented, they feel forced. Thing like Jump around at Wisconsin evolve naturally, and that's what stays and gets students to come to the games.

They literally used to do this every game. Ended during Claeys' year as HC because not enough of the stadium showed up for it, and they did it for years (since TCF opening day I think). The student section, which at that point maybe was 1/4 to 1/3 full was twice as loud as the other two sections and even that wasn't very loud.

The problem with a lot of your suggestions is when implemented, they feel forced. Thing like Jump around at Wisconsin evolve naturally, and that's what stays and gets students to come to the games.

I had always thought it was way too obvious to not had been done before, thanks for pointing that out. As I’ve said my personal Gopher experience only extends a few years.

This fan base fails epically at something as simple as a “gold out”. That only requires you to wear a shirt, any shirt, that is gold. Chants are way too complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when Madison got to host gameday a few years ago against Michigan. It seemed exciting and all I kept thinking was that we need to have this happen.
I don't know if it makes that much difference in recruiting but certainly couldn't hurt. Having top recruits in for a game like that has to help.

Top Bottom