Drexel's Alihan Demir transfers to Minnesota

What's with all the Carr bashing on this thread. I bet we are all going to be very pleased with his performance.

We are not on the level of Michigan St. or even Purdue. Our best seasons would be a bad year by either. But it is something to look forward to. Depth has been an issue but we dont have the pedigree to get players who have ability who will wait in the wings for an injury to give them an opportunity. Hopefully we can get there soon.

We beat Purdue three times last year but we're not on the same level?

We beat Purdue three times last year but we're not on the same level?

Twice.

Nevertheless, as a program, Minnesota is not on the level of Purdue. Not sure how anyone could make that argument at this point in time.

Oturu is going to get a bunch of dunks from Alihan's passing. Looking forward to seeing them team up. This means Jarvis can come off the bench with some energy and spell both Oturu and Alihan; this is good.

Oturu is going to get a bunch of dunks from Alihan's passing. Looking forward to seeing them team up. This means Jarvis can come off the bench with some energy and spell both Oturu and Alihan; this is good.

Umm, Curry?

Correct. Curry and Freeman are going to back up Oturu- not Omersa.
If Curry is healthy, (Big If) I think he will at the very least challenge Demir for the starter minutes. Unfortunately I think this will be a boom or bust season for him. He will either establish himself as a starter or grad transfer out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If Curry is healthy, (Big If) I think he will at the very least challenge Demir for the starter minutes. Unfortunately I think this will be a boom or bust season for him. He will either establish himself as a starter or grad transfer out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Or realize his health will not allow him to play high level basketball anymore. He's at that place where that has to be a real consideration. Too bad, of course, but he does have his long term health to think about.

(1) Welcome aboard Demir!
(2) Joey King was absolutely a Big 10 caliber player. A quality starter? Arguable. At a minimum, quality depth? Absolutely.
(3) I really like that Demir is not a traditional 4. We cannot spend as much time as we have in previous years with two post players on the court together. It clogs everything up, it kills our spacing, and it's simply outdated in college basketball. I know Pitino had to use it last year with our roster, but I am glad he is proactively looking to solve that issue.

It only kills our spacing if we have some guys who can knock down outside shots. Otherwise, spacing doesn't matter. Hopefully the new guys can hit some mid to long range jumpers.

per Shama:

ESPN college basketball authority Fran Fraschilla has followed Alihan Demir, the 6-9 forward and grad transfer from Drexel who is the latest member of coach Richard Pitino’s Golden Gophers 2019 recruiting class.

“I expect him to be a solid role player up front,” Fraschilla told Sports Headliners this week. “Not a star, but just a good role player for them. Someone that gives them power inside. He shoots the three but that’s not really his game. He’s more of a banger, plays with toughness. Very good passer.”

Demir, a native of Turkey who averaged 14.8 points and 6.4 rebounds while making third team All-Colonial Athletic Association last season, joins a newcomers group that also includes 2019-2020 freshmen Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas), Isaiah Ihnen (Boeblingen, Germany) and Tre’ Williams (Dallas, Texas).

Minnesota’s freshmen class is ranked No. 37 in the nation by 247sports.com.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

It only kills our spacing if we have some guys who can knock down outside shots. Otherwise, spacing doesn't matter. Hopefully the new guys can hit some mid to long range jumpers.

Of course spacing still matters, it gives people who can get to the basket more room to operate. It also will give you more open looks, so average shooters will get a bit better.

per Shama:

ESPN college basketball authority Fran Fraschilla has followed Alihan Demir, the 6-9 forward and grad transfer from Drexel who is the latest member of coach Richard Pitino’s Golden Gophers 2019 recruiting class.

“I expect him to be a solid role player up front,” Fraschilla told Sports Headliners this week. “Not a star, but just a good role player for them. Someone that gives them power inside. He shoots the three but that’s not really his game. He’s more of a banger, plays with toughness. Very good passer.”

Demir, a native of Turkey who averaged 14.8 points and 6.4 rebounds while making third team All-Colonial Athletic Association last season, joins a newcomers group that also includes 2019-2020 freshmen Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas), Isaiah Ihnen (Boeblingen, Germany) and Tre’ Williams (Dallas, Texas).

Minnesota’s freshmen class is ranked No. 37 in the nation by 247sports.com.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Does Franschilla have a good relationship with Rick or Richard? I see him put out a few blurbs on the Gophers or Richard and they are usually positive. Not saying there isn't positive things to talk about, about the hoops team, but he's a fairly big CBB media name.

Does Franschilla have a good relationship with Rick or Richard? I see him put out a few blurbs on the Gophers or Richard and they are usually positive. Not saying there isn't positive things to talk about, about the hoops team, but he's a fairly big CBB media name.

I think, in this case, it's that he is being interviewed by a Minnesota "reporter" and being asked for insight about the Gophers.

I think, in this case, it's that he is being interviewed by a Minnesota "reporter" and being asked for insight about the Gophers.

I understand this time he is being interviewed by Shama, I can comprehend that. I’m referencing the other times he has said things about the gophers, including tweets.

Top Bottom