Drexel's Alihan Demir transfers to Minnesota

Awesome. Didn't even know this guy was on the radar. Fills a position of great need. And based on his comments on why he committed here...he looking for a place that had a hole a PF. Smart kid. Rather than go get buried on another team, commit to a good team that's missing a quality starter at YOUR position.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Count me in on the "Im not worried about Carr" camp
+08

He held his own a couple of years ago as a true freshman in the ACC. Two years later? C'mon. Plus...if Coffee comes back...we still have PG depth considering he was our starting PG last year.

My best guess at a possible redshirt would be Freeman since most "bigs" take a little longer to develop their game and bodies. If Coffey does return, we would indeed have crazy depth:

C - Oturu/Freeman
PF - Demir/Curry/Omersa
SF - Coffey/Ihnen/Hurt
SG - Kalscheur/Williams
PG - Carr/Willis

If Coffey doesn't come back, we might need a Wing more than a PG although Gabe and Tre could probably play SF at times.

Going to be lots of new faces to get used to next year on the team. Really hoping that Coffey comes back to help tie it all together.

I guess it is a preference thing because Joey was unable to guard 3s or 4s and he was a solid shooter but didn't really bring much else to the table in my opinion and was a liability. We were just so bad his senior that he had to give us minutes

Doesn't mean he wasn't a Big Ten player. Not everyone is a superstar or even starter. In a perfect world he would have been a nice player to come off the bench.

+08

He held his own a couple of years ago as a true freshman in the ACC. Two years later? C'mon. Plus...if Coffee comes back...we still have PG depth considering he was our starting PG last year.

Same. I have zero worries about Carr. Proved he could play in the ACC and had a transfer year to get even better. He's going to come in next year and play well for the Gophers.

Same. I have zero worries about Carr. Proved he could play in the ACC and had a transfer year to get even better. He's going to come in next year and play well for the Gophers.

Until I see it, my only worry, after watching IW struggle for a year, is does he have the quickness to beat anyone to the rim for a layup.

IW's issue was not quickness. I doubt Mason was quicker.

Yep. He could beat anyone to the rim off the dribble, he was fantastic at that. He could get to anywhere he wanted on the court with the ball but he could not get up in the air to finish. Seriously, I don't think IW could dunk. The Big Ten defenses are brutal in terms of helping out on the driver.

IW's issue was not quickness. I doubt Mason was quicker.

Washington was way quicker than Mason. Mason was more savvy and relied on subtle hesitations to get by his defender. Carr is a similar level athlete in terms of speed and quickness to Mason (which I never thought was great).

Last edited:

Yep. He could beat anyone to the rim off the dribble, he was fantastic at that. He could get to anywhere he wanted on the court with the ball but he could not get up in the air to finish.

I agree. He was not a great finisher. Reminds me of a comment made by an announcer about another player who was a great ball handler but not a great finisher: "A $100,000 dollar move with a 10 cent finish."

Washington was way quicker than Mason. Mason was more savvy and relied on subtle hesitations to get by his defender. Carr is a similar level athlete in terms of speed and quickness to Mason (which I never thought was great).
I agree. He was not a great finisher. Reminds me of a comment made by an announcer about another player who was a great ball handler but not a great finisher: "A $100,000 dollar move with a 10 cent finish."
There's another thread for these discussions.
I want to know more about Ali Haji Sheik, the Turkish Terror. [emoji41]

Yep. He could beat anyone to the rim off the dribble, he was fantastic at that. He could get to anywhere he wanted on the court with the ball but he could not get up in the air to finish. Seriously, I don't think IW could dunk. The Big Ten defenses are brutal in terms of helping out on the driver.

iW never looked very quick or very smart on defense, ever.

I am not sure that he was better than our departed UW Milwaukee transfer on defense. Of course Stull was flabby and slower than when he played at UW-M for some mysterious reason, even four months into the season.

There's another thread for these discussions.
I want to know more about Ali Haji Sheik, the Turkish Terror. [emoji41]

I agree. Based on nothing more than a little film, I believe Alihan will be better than most predict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations Coach Pitino and staff. Add another point guard and this is a really nice class. Two nice classes in a row. Welcome to Gopher land Alihan Demir. We could have a very good team now and even better if we pick up a guard and Coffey returns. Very exciting times ahead.

I echo your sentiments. On paper, this is shaping up to be a very nice lineup for the Gophers. Landing a game changing true point guard can take the Gophers to new heights.

His name is Carr. We could use another back up.

Exactly. Adding someone like Kareem South would be great.

If Amir comes back, I'm not worried about the point, would rather have Carr start at PG, have Amir fill in for a few minutes if necessary,

I'm so damned happy that there are 4 guys at 4 and 5.

Couldnt understand why or how Pitino didnt have a full squad and fill out all of the scholarships when depth is so important in the Big Ten,

Purdue and Mich st. can overcome an injury or two and still thrive.

Maybe the gophs are getting there too.

If Amir comes back, I'm not worried about the point, would rather have Carr start at PG, have Amir fill in for a few minutes if necessary,

I'm so damned happy that there are 4 guys at 4 and 5.

Couldnt understand why or how Pitino didnt have a full squad and fill out all of the scholarships when depth is so important in the Big Ten,

Maybe the gophs are getting there too.

At least part of the problem was having a couple of guys on the roster for four years that were not capable of playing Big Ten basketball. That will damage depth quickly. Also a bit easier for the MSU's of the world to recruit guys for "depth" when they can assure that they will be part of a winning program whether they play or not right away. Gophers aren't there yet and still have something to prove, but they are moving in the right direction.

At least part of the problem was having a couple of guys on the roster for four years that were not capable of playing Big Ten basketball. That will damage depth quickly. Also a bit easier for the MSU's of the world to recruit guys for "depth" when they can assure that they will be part of a winning program whether they play or not right away. Gophers aren't there yet and still have something to prove, but they are moving in the right direction.

Tom Izzo being the head coach at MSU for a long time and winning a national championship certainly helps. Richard Pitino needs to have a big break. All the stars need to line up for the Gophers to have a breakout year.

(1) Welcome aboard Demir!
(2) Joey King was absolutely a Big 10 caliber player. A quality starter? Arguable. At a minimum, quality depth? Absolutely.
(3) I really like that Demir is not a traditional 4. We cannot spend as much time as we have in previous years with two post players on the court together. It clogs everything up, it kills our spacing, and it's simply outdated in college basketball. I know Pitino had to use it last year with our roster, but I am glad he is proactively looking to solve that issue.

(1) Welcome aboard Demir!
(2) Joey King was absolutely a Big 10 caliber player. A quality starter? Arguable. At a minimum, quality depth? Absolutely.
(3) I really like that Demir is not a traditional 4. We cannot spend as much time as we have in previous years with two post players on the court together. It clogs everything up, it kills our spacing, and it's simply outdated in college basketball. I know Pitino had to use it last year with our roster, but I am glad he is proactively looking to solve that issue.

I’ve got to believe adding a legit stretch 4 makes the open lane look awfully attractive to Amir. A more spread out offense that doesn’t allow defenders to camp in the lane will provide so many more opportunities for him to score and creat for others. The help will be scrambling instead of waiting. My Pollyanna meter will be as high as it’s been in decades if Amir returns...especially if we also add a capable grad transfer PG.

I’ve got to believe adding a legit stretch 4 makes the open lane look awfully attractive to Amir. A more spread out offense that doesn’t allow defenders to camp in the lane will provide so many more opportunities for him to score and creat for others. The help will be scrambling instead of waiting. My Pollyanna meter will be as high as it’s been in decades if Amir returns...especially if we also add a capable grad transfer PG.

I agree.

If Amir can play the wing on an offense with a PG and without two post players, I think it's a perfect fit for his game.

I read somewhere else that a factor in Demir's decision was whether Amir stayed, because he wanted to be on a team that could make a run in the NCAA's.

I hope this is an indication Demir may have some confidence he will be back.

I read somewhere else that a factor in Demir's decision was whether Amir stayed, because he wanted to be on a team that could make a run in the NCAA's.

I hope this is an indication Demir may have some confidence he will be back.

This seems logical from my perspective. Hopefully Amir, who is certainly working with information I don’t have, feels the same way.

This is great!

The team still needs a competent point guard though, no? Without one, this team is limited.

This is great!

The team still needs a competent point guard though, no? Without one, this team is limited.

Carr. Would like another ball handler though with final spot

This is great!

Hopefully Carr can provide what we need at point. Then add in the experience at point that Amir got, who on top of his wing minutes, can provide some backup point minutes, I don't think its as big of a concern on paper as it looks...but yes, one more ball handler would be great for this team.

We are not on the level of Michigan St. or even Purdue. Our best seasons would be a bad year by either. But it is something to look forward to. Depth has been an issue but we dont have the pedigree to get players who have ability who will wait in the wings for an injury to give them an opportunity. Hopefully we can get there soon.

Top Bottom