Drexel's Alihan Demir transfers to Minnesota

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Drexel grad transfer Alihan Demir. He chose Minnesota over interest from Kansas State, Arizona State, Florida and others.

Demir averaged 14.9 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game last season and will provide important front court help for the Gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news!

But it ain't over til the Gopher dances. ;)

JTG

That makes 6-9, 6-8, 6-8 and 6-4 additions to next years roster. Nice size.

This is turning into quite a good spring recruiting period. Curious what we nice thing about him is that he's a scoring power forward. We should have a lot of weapons next year

Really nice addition.

Hope he is a Grad Transfer who wants to contribute and shows up in shape.

Really nice addition.

Hope he is a Grad Transfer who wants to contribute and shows up in shape.

Hope he is a grad transfer who is done with his undergraduate credits this month (read: no summer school) and can be here soon to workout with the team and get into the training program.

Great news!! Welcome Ali! Deep roster shaping up if Coffey returns. Lots more shooting ability!

come back Amir and this team looks very good on paper

Alihan Demir was a CAA third team all conference player as was Justin Pierce (from William Mary) who just grad. transferred to UNC. Just some facts.

Looks like a crafty player who can pass and make some shots, probably not a great athlete but he should be a solid contributor.

This. First welcome Mr. Demir

If Amir comes back (knock on wood) this is solid looking team. About the only need is a backup C or PG.

Freeman is back up C and Curry can pitch in there as well.
A back up PG would be excellent!

Minnesota'ya hoş geldin, Alihan!

We are glad to have you on the team!

Congratulations Coach Pitino and staff. Add another point guard and this is a really nice class. Two nice classes in a row. Welcome to Gopher land Alihan Demir. We could have a very good team now and even better if we pick up a guard and Coffey returns. Very exciting times ahead.

Watching the video, he reminds me of Joey King. Similar athleticism and body. Not sure if he has the shot fake though. [emoji16]

Watching the video, he reminds me of Joey King. Similar athleticism and body. Not sure if he has the shot fake though. [emoji16]

Some similarities.

Probably similar level rebounder and defender (not good), not as good of a shooter as Joey but a better low post scorer, better passer and better and or more willing to put the ball on the floor.

Freeman is back up C and Curry can pitch in there as well.
A back up PG would be excellent!

Well, they played the past season without a true starting point guard. I'm assuming that Carr actually is one. Perhaps they can do without a true backup point guard. They might get a better point for the future as a sit out transfer. They have sufficient bodies for the upcoming season. I would have liked to have seen Gresham come here but he committed somewhere else.

Great news about Demir, though. Team should be set in the front court.

Alihan Demir was a CAA third team all conference player as was Justin Pierce (from William Mary) who just grad. transferred to UNC. Just some facts.

And he said 40 some schools contacted him. The fact that Minnesota got a top 25 grad transfer at this point is a good get. Seems like nearly every team is after grad transfers now. The immediate help is huge -- get a veteran player who doesn't have to sit. Imagine Stockman as a grad transfer this year, wouldn't you want him behind Oturu if Curry was for sure out?

Pitino got three of his four recruits in the spring. Many people used to talk about spring recruiting like it was a discount bin. That's changed. I'm going to reserve any opinions on Freeman. He could be good or he could be a project. But Demir is a proven D1 player, albeit in a lower conference, and the kid from Germany must have a few things going for him to be rated as highly as he was. This was a pretty good haul even if Pitino doesn't pick up anyone else.

Top Bottom