5'9" 160lb HS QB Who Threw for 67 Touchdowns Can't Get Scholarship

Thanks, great read. Academic scholarships to Oregon and UCLA. He could walk on to either's FB team...

Okay, so I think that the way that California is set up this kid is playing in the 11th out of 13 California football divisions. This might explain why he is not getting a whole lot of interest.

Agreed. Someone should send him Blake Cashman's story.

Or Doug Flutie's story. He was 5'9" as well, and he had an impressive football career. Flutie had to battle the "too short to play" narrative all the way through his college and NFL playing days.

How about #1 NFL draft pick?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Somewhere an opportunity knocks.

Based on that article, there are a lot of stupid football coaches out there. But that’s not a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or Doug Flutie's story. He was 5'9" as well, and he had an impressive football career. Flutie had to battle the "too short to play" narrative all the way through his college and NFL playing days.

He was the King of the toos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, great read. Academic scholarships to Oregon and UCLA. He could walk on to either's FB team...

Incorrect. He’s been accepted into those schools but hasnt been given any sort of scholarship

Or Kyler Murray's story. For some reason the NFL threw out decades of "rules" and shunning of even many Heisman QBs who were too short and small to suddenly make him the #1 pick in the draft after one awesome year at a program that mints awesome QB years.

CNN/Bleacher Report put out at least a dozen articles a year about kids like this. They seem to lack an understanding of recruiting and college athletics. If the kid was THAT good, he would have offers.

Now I do remember an article about an over-sized offensive linemen moving from Australia to Florida to play high school football. The spin on that article was how athletic he was and how impressive it was that he already had D1 offers before playing in a high school game. I wonder where he ended up??

Does Macalester still have a team? Carleton? Trinity Bible College in Ellendale ND?

Every above-average high school player can find a college team that wants him, but he might have to adjust his expectations.

Okay, so I think that the way that California is set up this kid is playing in the 11th out of 13 California football divisions. This might explain why he is not getting a whole lot of interest.

The way California does it now is confusing, so you're only partially correct. Western is in the southern section, which is region 10 - the regions are based on geography. Within the Southern Section, they are the 251st ranked team out of 385 coming into the season, not as a result of the season which is important to understand.

In California's play-off equity system, that put them in Division 11 of 13 this year. The goal of this system is to have equal talented schools play each other in the playoffs (vs. size of the school dictating matchups). The way they do it teams from the same conference can (and do) end up in different divisions for the playoffs, and the schools can move between divisions based on performance.

What this doesn't account for is how they rank relative to the rest of California's schools. It's safe to say that they're not one of the top schools in California, but if the whole state were considered, they could be ranked higher than in the 11th section (key point, I don't know if the other sections have adopted this approach or not). But make no mistake, he didn't put up those kinds of numbers and win the title against Mater Dei or St. John Bosco level schools (SS, Div 1 playoff final schools).

CNN/Bleacher Report put out at least a dozen articles a year about kids like this. They seem to lack an understanding of recruiting and college athletics. If the kid was THAT good, he would have offers.

Now I do remember an article about an over-sized offensive linemen moving from Australia to Florida to play high school football. The spin on that article was how athletic he was and how impressive it was that he already had D1 offers before playing in a high school game. I wonder where he ended up??

One from a few years ago - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2322488-the-best-football-prospect-nobodys-ever-heard-of

He ended his career at Western Colorado as a back-up in his senior year. More power to him that he followed his dreams and played, but apparently, football coaches do know a thing or two about talent (not saying they don't miss and miss frequently, but when no coach anywhere is willing to give you a shot, it might be because you aren't very good) and gaudy numbers in High School does not equal talent.

One from a few years ago - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2322488-the-best-football-prospect-nobodys-ever-heard-of

He ended his career at Western Colorado as a back-up in his senior year. More power to him that he followed his dreams and played, but apparently, football coaches do know a thing or two about talent (not saying they don't miss and miss frequently, but when no coach anywhere is willing to give you a shot, it might be because you aren't very good) and gaudy numbers in High School does not equal talent.

That's the one I was just thinking about too. College coaches are correct a lot more than they are not when it comes to evaluating HS kids.

That's the one I was just thinking about too. College coaches are correct a lot more than they are not when it comes to evaluating HS kids.

Yeah, there are always the rare stories of the player that got overlooked but there is usually a reason when a player with great stats doesn't get any offers.

With the California JUCO system he should go prove himself at that level. If hes truly good he'll find himself recruited with 4 to play 3 eligibility.

Last edited:

With the California JUCO system he should go prove himself at that level. If hes truly good he'll find himself recruited with 3 to play 4 eligibility.

Playing 4 seasons in 3 years would be amazing.

Top Bottom