All Things Treyton Thompson Recruiting Thread (Class of 2021) UPDATE 6/15: MN Offers

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Alexandria Echo Press: Thompson excited to get an offer from the Gophers

Alexandria's Treyton Thompson was on his way to a team camp for a border rival of the University of Minnesota when he got an exciting phone call from the Gophers on June 15.

Minnesota coaches were ready to give the 6-foot, 11-inch forward a scholarship offer after watching him through workouts and seeing him enough in recent months.

"I was shopping in Family Dollar with my coach about to go to the Wisconsin camp," Thompson said on June 18. "We had our little fist bump and that was basically it, but deep down I was extremely excited. They're one of the teams I've been watching my whole life and to get an offer from them is just awesome."

Thompson is gaining the attention of programs around the country. As of mid-June, the Gophers and Texas Tech are his two offers, but he's hearing from a large list of schools that includes Purdue, Creighton, Appalachian State, Xavier, Princeton, Marquette, Cal Poly, Wisconsin and Air Force.

Thompson, who will be a junior this coming school year, averaged 15.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game for Alexandria last winter. He is playing his AAU ball with the Howard Pulley 16s this summer, a program on the Nike EYBL circuit that is based out of the Twin Cities area.

Thompson spends almost four days a week in the metro area and stays with his AAU coach, Jonathan Williams, when he is there. Williams is a former University of Minnesota player who Thompson has built a strong relationship with.

"It's just been awesome playing for Howard Pulley," Thompson said. "I've played against some of the top talent in the country, and it seems like every game there's college coaches at our games watching, even if it's not in the EYBL. Playing against the best players in the country has brought my game up. It's made me more aware of, 'OK, this is where I want to be, and this is where I'm at right now.' "

Thompson is working this offseason on improving his strength. That continues to be a focus for him as he tries to put on weight to give himself more of an advantage in the post, while also continuing to grow his game as a big man who can stretch the defense from the perimeter.

"When I get in the gym, it's trying to make me into the player I want to be," he said. "I do a lot of ball handling. You don't really see a lot of 7-footers who can handle the ball and shoot the ball. That's really what I work on the most."

Thompson is part of a Minnesota high school basketball scene that continues to churn out Division I prospects year after year.

The 2020 graduating class in the state has seven players ranked among the top 220 prospects in the country, according to the recruiting service 247 Sports. That is headlined by four players in the top 100 in Jalen Suggs (Minnehaha Academy), Dawson Garcia (Prior Lake), Dain Dainja (Park Center) and Ben Carlson (East Ridge), who all have Gopher offers.

Thompson is currently ranked as the No. 63 prospect in the country in the 247 Sports 2021 rankings. Another 7-footer, Chet Holmgren of Minnehaha Academy, is the 31st ranked recruit and garnering offers from big-time programs all over the country this summer. Kendall Brown of East Ridge is a 6-foot, 7-inch forward ranked as a top-25 player in the country.

"I for sure want to be known as one of the better players in the state, and that's what I've been working for," Thompson said. "I wake up every morning thinking about how I can be better. You just have to keep grinding, basically."

The offer from Minnesota was another step in the recruiting process for Thompson. He is excited to have the opportunity to play for the home-state program, but plans to let his recruitment play out as he continues to focus on improving his game.

"I don't think I'm going to commit any time soon," Thompson said. "Maybe at the end of my junior year or something like that. My coach has given me more information on that, but I want to take some of my official visits, go see the campuses and everything like that. I'm looking for a school that will push me academically and when I'm on the court."

https://www.echopress.com/sports/basketball/4627887-basketball-thompson-excited-get-offer-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Gopher Recruit Treyton Thompson transferring to Indiana prep school

Alexandria’s Treyton Thompson has had his eyes on playing at the highest level of college basketball, and he is making a move he believes will give him the best opportunity to do that.

Thompson, who will be a junior in high school this fall, will transfer from Alexandria to attend school and play his remaining two years of high school basketball at La Lumiere. La Lumiere is a private college preparatory school in La Porte, Ind., located a little over an hour from Chicago in northwest Indiana.

“About a month ago they reached out to me and said that they’d like to have me there and that I should take a visit,” Thompson said in an interview with the Echo Press on Aug. 6. “A couple weeks ago, we took a visit. It’s a really beautiful campus and I know they’re going to push me to be where I want to be, so that’s what I’m going to have to do.”

Thompson called it a “pretty difficult decision” because it means leaving behind friends, family and teammates from Alexandria. The 6-foot, 11-inch forward averaged 15.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game for the Cardinals last winter.

Thompson played his AAU ball with the Howard Pulley 16s this summer, a program on the Nike EYBL circuit that is based out of the Twin Cities area.

Alexandria went 19-9 last winter and was expected to return a solid nucleus this coming year with other returning players like Colton Roderick, Carrson Jones and Kristen Hoskins getting a lot of minutes in the 2018-19 season.

“It’s going to be hard moving on without saying goodbye to everyone and being around them all the time,” Thompson said. “I just want to go where I want to go, and it’s something I have to do.”

La Lumiere was the top-ranked boys basketball team in the country for much of the 2018-19 season, according to the USA Today Super 25 polls. The Lakers finished the year 30-1 overall after losing to IMG Academy in the national championship game.

That La Lumiere team was led by Isaiah Stewart, a center who signed with the University of Washington after being the third-ranked overall player in the 2019 recruiting class, according to ESPN. Stewart chose the Huskies over Duke, Michigan State and Kentucky, among many other offers.

“They got everything I want,” Thompson said of La Lumiere. “They have an awesome weight program. They have one-on-one weight training. They have all you can eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, so that’s going to be awesome. They were ranked No. 1 in the nation last year, so I’ll be going into a really good program, and that’s what I want to do.”

La Lumiere has on-campus dormitories for their students, ultimately creating what is similar to an early college living situation.

Thompson leaves for Indiana in the middle of August. He said he chatted with teammates and coaches from Alexandria once his decision was made.

“It wasn’t a happy conversation at all,” he said. “They’re sad that I’m leaving, and I just told them it’s what I have to do, but we’ll still stay in contact and stuff like that.”

Thompson’s goals over the next two years are to continue getting stronger by adding weight and to grow his game overall. He’s confident a school like La Lumiere is the best path to do that. The Lakers play a schedule against teams from across the country, along with offering the facilities and skill development programs Thompson believes can help him reach his highest potential.

“Playing against top-level kids all the time is just going to make my IQ higher,” he said. “It’s going to get me more ready for the next AAU season so I can maybe pick up some more offers. It’s constantly competitive because even in practice I’m playing against some of the top players in the nation.”

Thompson’s college offer list includes four schools from major conferences in Texas Tech, Minnesota, Iowa and Oklahoma. The Gophers coaching staff offered Thompson in June, and he says even with the move that they will continue to be a school he looks at hard as his recruitment continues in the coming months.

“Minneota will always be home. I’ll always have a connection to them,” Thompson said. “They’re always going to be in my top five probably, because that’s home. I might want to rep my home (state) when I get out of high school.”

https://www.echopress.com/sports/ba...hompson-to-transfer-to-prep-school-in-Indiana

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Why? We recruit these type of programs all the time, doesn't change anything in that regard

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

As a traditionalist I just like to see kids play with their buddies and high school. Anything that weakens MN high school ball sucks in my book.

Why? We recruit these type of programs all the time, doesn't change anything in that regard

How many from Minnesota have gone away to Prep School and attended the U.

How many from Minnesota have gone away to Prep School and attended the U.

vaughn, jonathan williams, dainja, treyton, i'm sure there are others.

I was thinking none, I forgot about Williams.

Illikanien was the most recent that turned down the Gophers.

Williams moved to St Cloud Apollo from Georgia his Jr year and graduated from Apollo the year after. Then went and played prep ball. Completely different from Thompson.

If we don't get Thompson, it won't be because he went to a prep school.

Exactly, he claims we'll always be in his top 5, just depends on where his head is at when he's ready to commit.

I wouldn’t make that assumption. He wants to go to a prep school to improve his basketball skills from getting better coaching and playing against better competition. If he makes major improvements and gets more recognition then he will get more offers. That could be directly related to changing schools. Chances are that he will not go to the U. He already has an offer from the U and could have move to Hopkins or Minnehaha if he really wanted to stay “home”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thompson's not a late bloomer, people know who he is, his quality of offers will be from AAU unless he takes recruiting into the spring of his senior year

I wouldn’t make that assumption. He wants to go to a prep school to improve his basketball skills from getting better coaching and playing against better competition. If he makes major improvements and gets more recognition then he will get more offers. That could be directly related to changing schools. Chances are that he will not go to the U. He already has an offer from the U and could have move to Hopkins or Minnehaha if he really wanted to stay “home”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His family wasn't moving from my understanding so he couldn't transfer in state unless he went to a private. His rep this summer wasn't great with attitude. He may not be one we want anyhow.

As a traditionalist I just like to see kids play with their buddies and high school. Anything that weakens MN high school ball sucks in my book.
For what it's worth, he wasn't originally from Alexandria either. He should have been a Minnewaska kid, but moved to play in a bigger school. He was never playing with his buddies in the first place.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom