Clemmons enters transfer portal

This year's Vic Viramontes. Strange all the way around on this one. Clemmons committed on signing day without having ever visited and is now gone after being here for about 3.5 months.

We seem to have pretty good depth at CB so we should be okay.

The only constant is change.

If I'm remembering correctly, he seemed pretty upset when Coach Addae left

If I remember right, he was pretty annoyed by Addae jumping ship after he’d signed his LOI with us. Something that definitely needs to change. Coaches should be locked in to a particular as of the deadline to sign.

Edit: CBJ sent it just before me haha.

He’s from Florida, went to JUCO in Kansas, and only came to Minnesota because he liked the coach that recruited him.

If we actually cared about the student-athlete, then he should be allowed to follow Addae to West Virginia and play for them this season.

Between Chris Williamson, Terell Smith, Kiondre Thomas and Coney Durr, I feel good about any of them starting. Justus Harris and Phillip Howard provide some depth and then perhaps you get a push for playing time from an incoming freshman.

This stings a little but something Gophers are set up to overcome.

We just became the youngest team in the country again.....

I get Kellen Clemens and Kelvin Clemmons mixed up, but I don't know why the Gophers would want a quarterback who is in his mid-30s.

Good luck to Clemmons. Agree on how the coaching carousel can be unfair to these kids.

We need to cut down on scholarship players. Could this be a byproduct of that?

Well this sort of stings as he was experienced and seemed legitimate. It’s not close to 2017 level issues but if injury bug hits we’ll be seeing unproven or freshmen who may or may not be ready. Is Howard doing well at CB? Justus Harris improving? CJ Smith, Solomon Brown ready to go?

How is this related to him being a juco player? This could happen just as easily with a high school kid.

No, it wouldn't happen just as easily. Most high school kids visit the school before they sign with them.

It would seem that if he transfers to another Power 5 program, his chances of playing are even less. So there has to be a more viable reason for leaving. Playing time would seem to be secondary. Perhaps academic success or coaching conflicts might be the primary.

No, it wouldn't happen just as easily. Most high school kids visit the school before they sign with them.

Most JuCos don’t?

Didn’t PJ’s first class have a number of HS kids sign that hadn’t visited?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ok, then why aren't the gophers recruiting more JuCo's?

You have a nice sheetrock wall. Then your kid accidentally smashes a hole in it. So you put on a nice patch kit, and it looks great. Like nothing ever happened.

Every team needs patches from time to time. You don't want a whole wall of patches, but you don't want holes either.

I can definitely see the Gophs continuing to recruit 1-2 JUCOs per year, maybe more some years, maybe less others. Nothing at all wrong with that, nor is it a reason to jump for joy.

As do most JuCo players. As already referenced, many high school players don't visit the school before signing.
What is your point?

The Gophers have signed one or more JuCo players in virtually every class over the last 10+ years. Each of P.J. Fleck's 3 signed classes has contained at least 2 JuCo signees, and the as-yet-unsigned 2020 class has a JuCo commit, despite the fact that Fleck said he wouldn't rely on JuCos. You are incredibly out of your element.

That's the coaches personal choice. Kansas State already proved that a juco heavy model can take you from the doormat to elite. Auburn won the championship with Cam Newton a juco on offense and Nick Fairly a juco on defense being their two best players. I would imagine if most of the strong JUCO programs were located closer to MN, we would sign more juco players.

That's the coaches personal choice. Kansas State already proved that a juco heavy model can take you from the doormat to elite. Auburn won the championship with Cam Newton a juco on offense and Nick Fairly a juco on defense being their two best players. I would imagine if most of the strong JUCO programs were located closer to MN, we would sign more juco players.

Kansas is plenty close. Great JUCO programs there. We do have some strong programs close to here. ND Science, Rochester Tech, Iowa Western.

Kansas is plenty close. Great JUCO programs there. We do have some strong programs close to here. ND Science, Rochester Tech, Iowa Western.

Kansas is a little closer to KSU than us. Thus my point. I wouldn't call ND Science and Rochester Tech strong JuCo programs by any stretch.

Kansas is a little closer to KSU than us. Thus my point. I wouldn't call ND Science and Rochester Tech strong JuCo programs by any stretch.

What I mean is that I know they have produced P5 recruits in the past. I don’t know how many or how often recently, but they have. They may not win JUCO national titles.

What I mean is that I know they have produced P5 recruits in the past. I don’t know how many or how often recently, but they have. They may not win JUCO national titles.

And I'm saying KSU has multiple juco programs near by that churn out multiple P5 recruits every year. I would imagine it would be easier for them to build relations with the juco staffs, and get a better sense of the players than coaches further away.

Top Bottom