Tyler Johnson #52 Draft Prospect for 2020

Wouldn't be surprised if he is the #1 B1G prospect by the end of the season. Hope he breaks top 25 Nationally too!

Who has Coughlin 16 overall?

See adjacent thread titled, "Early 2020 NFL Draft Prospect Top 50 Rankings (#16. Carter Coughlin, Minnesota)". Unless I'm reading this wrong.

If he has another year like he did last year I think we'll be looking more in the late first round.

I don’t know how fast Tyler Johnson is but if he can run a 4.4-4.5 40 at the combine he should be a late number one to no less a second round pick. The guy is an athlete and playmaker. He makes the spectacular catches. Perhaps he loses focus on some of those easy drops and hopefully it’s something that practice and hard work can fix. Maybe he can get with cris carter or Larry Fitzgerald this summer.

A second round selection would be a huge upgrade from where he might have ended up this year. Coughlin will get drafted. I'm not buying him being the 16th best player available in next year's draft but I'd be more than happy to eat my words.

A year from now is a long time. Looking forward to see several Gophers develop over the season to improve their standings as to the draft. Seeing this I would think that the players (particularly Seniors) would work harder yet trying to improve their status in the draft. Good luck guys!

I bet he is a 4.5-4.6 guy, which may scare some, but his vertical has to be top 99%. Dude can go up and get it.

I bet he is a 4.5-4.6 guy, which may scare some, but his vertical has to be top 99%. Dude can go up and get it.

I'm with you. His foot speed shouldn't be an issue. His ability to beat his man for the ball will be his greatest asset in where he ends up in the draft.

I'm with you. His foot speed shouldn't be an issue. His ability to beat his man for the ball will be his greatest asset in where he ends up in the draft.

It will be though. If he could run a 4.4-4.5, he would already be in the NFL. He has 4.6-4.7 40 speed, and you can see it in some of the highlights where he gets run down from behind.

The NFL has proven time and again that measurables are more important than production. TJ is a great college WR, but his speed is what will hurt him the most at the next level.

Per Bill Walsh Jerry Rice had great functional speed although he wasn’t a burner. I’m not saying he’s Jerry Rice but if he can improve his hands and continue to burn DBs on routes consistently who knows where he’ll go.

It will be though. If he could run a 4.4-4.5, he would already be in the NFL. He has 4.6-4.7 40 speed, and you can see it in some of the highlights where he gets run down from behind.

The NFL has proven time and again that measurables are more important than production. TJ is a great college WR, but his speed is what will hurt him the most at the next level.

It doesn’t happen often, but we agree on this. TJ6 is awesome, but he lacks elite speed which is likely what held him back from declaring this year. Our gain!

Regardless, he will get an opportunity to prove folks wrong at the next level, and may do so - but unless he improves his speed it won’t be as a top draft pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree that the part in bold might hurt him in terms of the draft but don't agree that it will necessarily hurt him in the league. There are lots of receivers thriving in the NFL without ideal measurables. The Vikings have 2 great examples of those guys in Thielen and Diggs.

If TJ can get drafted in the top 3 rounds that will put him in a great position to be a priority player for the team that picks him which in turn improves his odds of making the roster.

Tyler would already be in the NFL if he wanted to.

Also, try telling the bold to DK Metcalf.

Last edited:

TJ probably projects about like a Stefon Diggs. Carter will go higher because edge rushers are more valued.

Agree that the part in bold might hurt him in terms of the draft but don't agree that it will necessarily hurt him in the league. There are lots of receivers thriving in the NFL without ideal measurables. <b>The Vikings have 2 great examples of those guys in Thielen and Diggs.</b>

If TJ can get drafted in the top 3 rounds that will put him in a great position to be a priority player for the team that picks him which in turn improves his odds of making the roster.

I’m not really an NFL guy, but isn’t Thielen wicked fast?

Yeah, I think this right. Production is very important this time of the draft process and TJ definitely has that. He'll get dinged come combine time for the foot speed. But you never know. Sometimes guys take that few months before the combine and work with track coaches to learn how to run a timed sprint. It doesn't make them better football players, but it looks good on the bottom of the screen on NFL Network at the combine.

I don’t know how fast Tyler Johnson is but if he can run a 4.4-4.5 40 at the combine he should be a late number one to no less a second round pick. The guy is an athlete and playmaker. He makes the spectacular catches. Perhaps he loses focus on some of those easy drops and hopefully it’s something that practice and hard work can fix. Maybe he can get with cris carter or Larry Fitzgerald this summer.

If I remember correctly Larry used to work out at the U of M facilities when he was back in town during the off season. Maybe Tyler will get some time with him this summer if he comes back to Minneapolis for a bit.

Idk about wicked fast, but both Thielen and Diggs are fast. Roughly 4.4 guys.

Idk about wicked fast, but both Thielen and Diggs are fast. Roughly 4.4 guys.

The interweb says Thielen ran a 4.45 at the regional combine, but it wouldn't shock me if he's gotten faster (down to a 4.4) since the combine.

Was referring to the NFL's obsession with measurables (speed being a big part of that). The example of Thielen (undrafted free agent) and Diggs (5th round) are prime examples of really good receivers that were not drafted highly for one reason or another.

In TJ's case, he might get downgraded some on draft day because he lacks that high end top speed but that doesn't mean he won't succeed in the NFL. A more comparable local example might be Eric Decker. No one would ever consider Decker to be a burner but he was a 3rd round draft pick and had a very solid NFL career before finally hanging it up. I could see TJ follow a very similar path to the one Decker had.

Agree that the part in bold might hurt him in terms of the draft but don't agree that it will necessarily hurt him in the league. There are lots of receivers thriving in the NFL without ideal measurables. The Vikings have 2 great examples of those guys in Thielen and Diggs.

I disagree on Thielen and Diggs. As others have mentioned, Thielen and Diggs were both 4.45 40 guys. Thielen was just a late bloomer who really developed as he got older. Diggs was a 5* recruit and the 8th ranked player in the country. He's always had the speed and athleticism, he just couldn't stay healthy.

TJ is more comparable to David Cobb, just at the WR position. Super productive, but lacks the speed to be drafted in the top rounds. TJ will get his shot though.

Was referring to the NFL's obsession with measurables (speed being a big part of that). The example of Thielen (undrafted free agent) and Diggs (5th round) are <b>prime examples of really good receivers that were not drafted highly for one reason or another.

In TJ's case, he might get downgraded some on draft day because he lacks that high end top speed but that doesn't mean he won't succeed in the NFL. </b>A more comparable local example might be Eric Decker. No one would ever consider Decker to be a burner but he was a 3rd round draft pick and had a very solid NFL career before finally hanging it up. I could see TJ follow a very similar path to the one Decker had.

I think this exactly what I said.

TJ is more comparable to David Cobb, just at the WR position. Super productive, but lacks the speed to be drafted in the top rounds. TJ will get his shot though.

That's a good analogy.

I disagree on Thielen and Diggs. As others have mentioned, Thielen and Diggs were both 4.45 40 guys. Thielen was just a late bloomer who really developed as he got older. Diggs was a 5* recruit and the 8th ranked player in the country. He's always had the speed and athleticism, he just couldn't stay healthy.

TJ is much more athletic than Cobb. TJ might end up having the top vertical of anybody at the entire combine. I'd say more of Tyler's production can be attributed to his athleticism then you can say for Cobb.

Top Bottom