Amir receives G-league elite camp invite

How does one school give a higher benefit than the other though?

Is UNC able yon give a higher insurance policy than say Minnesota? Is it up to the institution to determine or is there a maximum rate mandated by NCAA?

Whether or not a student-athlete can get injury insurance or loss-of-value insurance is ultimately up to the insurance company. So theoretically the policy wouldn't vary from one school to another because it is not determined the school.

I'd be surprised if Amir could qualify for it being that he isn't projected to be drafted. I'm not sure how it would work for football -- obviously guys who were supposed to be first-rounders could get it, but I would guess that it would be much less likely for guys who were projected to be 5th or 6th round picks. My understanding that getting this insurance is much more common in football, because football players have to wait three years where basketball players can leave college to go pro at any point.

Whether or not a student-athlete can get injury insurance or loss-of-value insurance is ultimately up to the insurance company. So theoretically the policy wouldn't vary from one school to another because it is not determined the school.

I'd be surprised if Amir could qualify for it being that he isn't projected to be drafted. I'm not sure how it would work for football -- obviously guys who were supposed to be first-rounders could get it, but I would guess that it would be much less likely for guys who were projected to be 5th or 6th round picks. My understanding that getting this insurance is much more common in football, because football players have to wait three years where basketball players can leave college to go pro at any point.

Yes and no, unless I'm missing something. A payout/coverage could vary depending on the premium being paid. I'm not really worried about the Amir case I'm thinking in a recruiting battle it would have HUGE implications.

If I'm Zion and UNC offered me a scholarship with an annual value of 40k but a $5,000,000 Loss of Value insurance policy while Duke offered me a $60,000 scholarship with a $3,000,000 loss of value insurance policy which one are you taking?

In this scenario, an insurance company would insure the player at either school but require a larger premium to be paid to get the policy to work for UNC due to the increased payout. If UNC can offer that policy at no issue by the NCAA this is a recruiting inequity.

Yes and no, unless I'm missing something. A payout/coverage could vary depending on the premium being paid. I'm not really worried about the Amir case I'm thinking in a recruiting battle it would have HUGE implications.

If I'm Zion and UNC offered me a scholarship with an annual value of 40k but a $5,000,000 Loss of Value insurance policy while Duke offered me a $60,000 scholarship with a $3,000,000 loss of value insurance policy which one are you taking?

In this scenario, an insurance company would insure the player at either school but require a larger premium to be paid to get the policy to work for UNC due to the increased payout. If UNC can offer that policy at no issue by the NCAA this is a recruiting inequity.

The school doesn't have any say in the insurance payout, that part is up to the insurance company. The payout is based on projected draft position. It would be the same premium and payout regardless of school.

That's a lot of class time to miss.

It literally is no class. Is over final exams. He likely has 3-4 that he could schedule independently with the prof for a makeup time or early schedule

per Shooter:

The Gophers’ Amir Coffey, who has declared early for the NBA draft, beginning Sunday in Chicago competes for two days in front of NBA and NBA G League scouts and coaches, hoping to advance to the NBA’s regular draft combine beginning Tuesday, also in Chicago. Also competing will be Wisconsin’s Ethan Happ, who worked out for the Timberwolves last week.

Coffey is said to have impressed during a workout with the Los Angeles Clippers.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/...rge-polanco-could-be-twins-breakout-all-star/

Go Gophers!!

Have a question- if he goes g-league-why would he still get free tuition to finish college-through the g- league? Also not sure I would want him back if his only goal is to improve draft position. Would he be dominating ball time and leaving guys open so he can improve his stock? And then other players get sick of trying to get open cause they won't get the ball anyway? Kinda like Humpries was-everyone standing around on offense.

Have a question- if he goes g-league-why would he still get free tuition to finish college-through the g- league? Also not sure I would want him back if his only goal is to improve draft position. Would he be dominating ball time and leaving guys open so he can improve his stock? And then other players get sick of trying to get open cause they won't get the ball anyway? Kinda like Humpries was-everyone standing around on offense.
Amir doesn't strike me as a Kris Humphreys personality. Nor is Richard like Kris' dad.
I think your fears are unfounded.

Him dominating the ball (missing open guys and boy being a play maker) would crush his draft stock. His future in the league is as a slashing scorer/passer who plays d and hits open shots, not a shot creator kind of guy

That wouldn’t improve his stock. Until last few games of the year, coach and everyone else wanted him to dominate ball more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing people are underestimating is how MISERABLE G-League life really is. Yes you make a bit of coin and don't have to deal with class, academic counselors, etc. The tradeoff is early connecting flights, long bus rides, small gyms with even smaller crowds, stays in marginal hotels rooms.

Is the G-League a better place to improve your game than college is? Probably. Is it as glamorous and fun as big time college hoop? Not even close.
I’ve watched G league in person, the first 10 minutes are entertaining while your first beer settles in. Then on the second beer you notice that you are watching basically a no defense basketball game with different players chasing offensive moves. Gets real boring fast, and I will not go back to see a second game.

It's a NCAA rule. Tuition, fees, and books are covered by the school.

The requirements are:
- must have been at the school for at least two years
- must complete the degree within a decade of leaving school
- only for their first degree (so it does not apply to graduate degrees)

Amir doesn't have many credits left so he could finish his degree pretty quickly even if he does it part-time.

per Shooter:

The Gophers’ Amir Coffey, who has declared early for the NBA draft, beginning Sunday in Chicago competes for two days in front of NBA and NBA G League scouts and coaches, hoping to advance to the NBA’s regular draft combine beginning Tuesday, also in Chicago. Also competing will be Wisconsin’s Ethan Happ, who worked out for the Timberwolves last week.

Coffey is said to have impressed during a workout with the Los Angeles Clippers.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/...rge-polanco-could-be-twins-breakout-all-star/

Go Gophers!!

So if he is invited to the NBA regular combine on Tuesday, he is as good as gone? What if he is not drafted after then? Will he be eligible to return to the Gophers?

So if he is invited to the NBA regular combine on Tuesday, he is as good as gone? What if he is not drafted after then? Will he be eligible to return to the Gophers?

If invited to the combine, and not drafted, then he can return.

I’ve watched G league in person, the first 10 minutes are entertaining while your first beer settles in. Then on the second beer you notice that you are watching basically a no defense basketball game with different players chasing offensive moves. Gets real boring fast, and I will not go back to see a second game.

Sounds pretty much like the NBA, 'cept for those 10 entertaining minutes.

JTG

I wish Amir and his draft drama would just be over already. One way or the other.

"His draft drama"?

We'll most likely know by the end of month.

Patience!

If we get him back as a good shooter, then we're going to the Sweet 16. If he leaves and gets drafted, then we successfully got someone to the NBA, which is a big deal for recruits.

We're good either way. Let's pull for Coffey to do really well.

If we get him back as a good shooter, then we're going to the Sweet 16. If he leaves and gets drafted, then we successfully got someone to the NBA, which is a big deal for recruits.

We're good either way. Let's pull for Coffey to do really well.

Really like this take. Selfishly a lot of us want him back but if he kills it and gets on a team that's huge for us.

Do scouts say you showed you could maybe do this based on a small sample size or do they say come back and prove it? It's going to take someone falling in love with him I'd imagine

Do scouts say you showed you could maybe do this based on a small sample size or do they say come back and prove it? It's going to take someone falling in love with him I'd imagine

If I were an NBA scout I would say wow your shooting has really improved, now go back to college and show me you can hit 3's at a higher percentage in the big ten!

If I were an NBA scout I would say wow your shooting has really improved, now go back to college and show me you can hit 3's at a higher percentage in the big ten!

I'd say, "Your only shot at hanging a jersey in the rafters is at the University. It ain't happening in the NBA."

Top Bottom