3 new bowl games to begin in 2020-21 season. record 84 teams will play in bowl game

Yes, all.

Call them “post-season exhibitions” or whatever you want, so long as they get the 15 practices.

How about calling a team worthy of post season play from the begging of your new season practices, through your conference and OOC schedule. A bowl bid should be for teams that deserve recognition for their good work throughout the season.

Maybe all bowls with teams that go 5-7 or 6-6 should be sponcered by some slub but should be called sub par bowls or toilet bowls. Like the Tightly Bowl super toilet scrub bowl. Each team should be given $30,000 for a buss ride & food and bring only 30 players. The players from each team can sleep & eat on the buss.

Last edited:

you guys just don't get it.

The majority of the bowls are held just to promote tourism and the local community. It is a way to get 10K-30K out of towners to come and spend money in your community and give the area some publicity. It is just like a cow chip festival, local apple days, etc... They will have bowl games as long as the local community can make money off of the people who will come to the game.

I would go to the Myrtle Beach Bowl but for the conferences involved. Maybe it can grow into a P5 bowl.

Agreed, I have fond memories of Myrtle Beach.

I’d advise anyone going to the the $5B LA Bowl to stay at LAX (or maybe OC, Hollywood, downtown) unless one wants the full Boyz in the Hood experience. It is across the street from the old Forum which has been turned into a decent arena music venue so a twofer could be possible depending on your tastes.

They should have bowl games for every team.
The more excuses to turn the TV on during the holidays the better.

If you aren't sure if you should watch when a 3-9 Gopher Team goes to a Bowl Game, I'd suggest you just make your regular holiday plans as normal, and if you happen to catch it, cool, if not that's okay too. If you watch it and it starts to bother you, try it with alcohol. If it still doesn't work, then turn it off and go to the bar with your in-law, dead-beat dad, cousin who is still wearing his Robert Brooks Packers jersey and eat some pickled eggs.

I saw a guy with a Chris Hovan Jersey in Nashville last week

If you're looking at all the TV sports channels to have 65 FBS bowl games to cover, whats in it for them to broad cast the dregs of FBS, I doubt those extra bowls for the weak would pay enough for the 2 teams to travel. I doubt many locals would attend and pay to watch those games so what you have is a large amount of money from the bottom paying out for the trip and going into the red!

One important item my wife mentioned about Myrtle beach: a “thong ordinance” is in effect so those of you that like to let it all hang out may want to plan ahead.

Should any team with a 5-7 record go to a bowl game?

Who cares?

Are you really on some high ground to look down upon 5-7 bowl teams?
The horror of a team that went 5-7 playing a 13th game. This is why the terrorists hate us!

To be fair, it further dilutes and renders less meaningful the historical bowl statistics (eg bowl appearances, streaks) as more and more teams have become eligible over the years. Its obviously a tv cash grab and I’d argue a team should at bare minimum have a winning record but it isn’t the end of the world.

Who cares?

The horror of a team that went 5-7 playing a 13th game. This is why the terrorists hate us!

If you don't care then why click on the thread?

I don't like 5-7 teams going to a bowl game. If you think that makes me a bad person then so be it.

I don't like 5-7 teams going to a bowl game. If you think that makes me a bad person then so be it.

jmONEs8.gif

I don’t think that makes you a bad person. I don’t really care.

However, if it actually gets you hot and bothered like it seems to get some, I feel bad for you. Not sure if that applies to you or not.

So don't call them bowl games. Don't have them hosted at some neutral site. Let it just be an exhibition game at an on-campus site. No swag for players, etc.

Why do you want to *punish* teams that don't finish 6-6 (sometimes 6-7), and even then not guaranteed to make it ?? It's a punishment, for not being allowed to have the 15 extra practices. And those are the teams that need them the most! Also gives them something to play for. End the season on a win.

compromise - don't call them bowl games.

If two teams with below-.500 records want to play each other in a 13th game, let them do it. Doesn't have to have a fancy name or be sponsored by some dot-com company. Let them play on-campus, or at a neutral site of their choosing. each team absorbs its own travel costs. they share the cost of putting on the game - refs, stadium workers, etc. if they can find a t-v carrier, great. if not, let a regional sports network bid for the game.

(or let Aggie Vision show all the games, with Casa Del Autos as the primary sponsor)

But seriously, if the Gophers finish 5-7, and do not get invited to a bowl, let them set up a 13th game with anyone who is willing to play them. Allow them 10 practices for the game.

there, problem solved.

compromise - don't call them bowl games.

If two teams with below-.500 records want to play each other in a 13th game, let them do it. Doesn't have to have a fancy name or be sponsored by some dot-com company. Let them play on-campus, or at a neutral site of their choosing. each team absorbs its own travel costs. they share the cost of putting on the game - refs, stadium workers, etc. if they can find a t-v carrier, great. if not, let a regional sports network bid for the game.

(or let Aggie Vision show all the games, with Casa Del Autos as the primary sponsor)

But seriously, if the Gophers finish 5-7, and do not get invited to a bowl, let them set up a 13th game with anyone who is willing to play them. Allow them 10 practices for the game.

there, problem solved.

works for me. To be honest Id still watch it. I watched Gophers last 5-7 bowl game.

I don’t think that makes you a bad person. I don’t really care.

However, if it actually gets you hot and bothered like it seems to get some, I feel bad for you. Not sure if that applies to you or not.

sounds good. Now get off my lawn :p

there, problem solved.

And we thought there were too many players skipping post-season games before...

So??? Those are the NFL bound players. That won't be the bulk of most teams.

I think that's naive. Coaches may love having extra practices, but interest in an exhibition game following the season would be minimal. You can call a bowl game an exhibition game if you want, but it: 1) Still counts in the official W-L record 2) Still counts for individual and team stats 3) Is still seen as a reward for a good season 4) Is a chance for the team and fans to travel someplace interesting.

I have a hard time imagining anybody - not the coaches, the players, the administration, the fans - would be terribly interested in a mid-December game that only served to put players in harm's way.

I have a hard time imagining anybody - not the coaches, the players, the administration, the fans - would be terribly interested in a mid-December game that only served to put players in harm's way.

That’s exactly what every bowl game, including the Rose Bowl, is.

I did not intend exhibition to imply that it would not count for stats or records. It would, of course. It wouldn’t be travel for fans, and it wouldn’t be a “reward” per se, though that’s very weak argument for any bowl except the major ones.

I just chose that word to put the old men who object to any change minds at ease.

YA CANT CALL IT A BOWLLLL GAMEEEE!!! THATS FER WINNING TEAMMMMMSSS!!! TOOK URRRR JERRRRBS!!!

I did not intend exhibition to imply that it would not count for stats or records. It would, of course.

Teams don't get to simply declare that exhibition games count for stats or records. James Johannesson isn't putting those spring game touchdowns on his resume.

Teams don't get to simply declare that exhibition games count for stats or records.

They would count. That would be a requisite of allowing the games in the first place.

Like I just said, I picked the word to set minds at ease. Pick some other word then.

Think of it as a preview of next year's team then.

It sounds like I'm in the minority here. I love all things Gopher football, and I honestly didn't think there would be any support for a true exhibition game after the season was over. Maybe I'm wrong.

you guys just don't get it.

The majority of the bowls are held just to promote tourism and the local community. It is a way to get 10K-30K out of towners to come and spend money in your community and give the area some publicity. It is just like a cow chip festival, local apple days, etc... They will have bowl games as long as the local community can make money off of the people who will come to the game.

So you think 2 P5 teams with a record of 2-10 or 4-8 would really bring in tourism especially if the bowl is a long way from the teams that are playing. I doubt many P5 teams that were that bad would be hard pressed to bring their own fans let alone the people around the bowl site.

Last edited:

It sounds like I'm in the minority here. I love all things Gopher football, and I honestly didn't think there would be any support for a true exhibition game after the season was over. Maybe I'm wrong.

If the gophers were 2-10 or 4-8 would you travel a long way to the Wart Hog Bowl

I hope the Gophers go at least 8-4 or better and go to a decent bowl.

Who cares?

I'm not on the high ground. In 2016 & 2017 GSU did not deserve to go to a bowl & they didn't. Thats the brakes of having a sub par season.

Last edited:

Y

No one was talking about a true exhibition, where the results don’t even count in the season stats or record.

You took that and ran with it.

Y

No one was talking about a true exhibition, where the results don’t even count in the season stats or record.

You took that and ran with it.
You're funny sometimes. Minnesota athletics abides by NCAA bylaws. At this point in time, no team is allowed to schedule an extra game. No team is allowed to count statistics from said non-sanctioned game. What you keep describing is an exhibition game.

Top Bottom