3 new bowl games to begin in 2020-21 season. record 84 teams will play in bowl game

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
From FBSSchedules:

Boston’s Fenway Park will host a college football bowl game matching teams from the ACC and American beginning in 2020, Brett McMurphy of WatchStadium has reported.

The Boston bowl game will be one of three new bowl games following the 2020 college football season, joining bowl games in Los Angeles, California, and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

From the report:

Last year, the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee approved the addition of a maximum of three new bowl games. Starting in 2020, a record 43 bowls – including the College Football Playoff title game – will be played, meaning a record 65 percent of the 130 FBS schools (84 teams) will play in a bowl.

Fenway Park, home of Major League Baseball’s Boston Red Sox, has a capacity of 37,305 during the day and 37,755 at night. The stadium has hosted football games since “at least 1916”, per Wikipedia.

The most recent college football game played at Fenway Park was the annual Harvard-Yale game on Nov. 17, 2018. Other schools that have played at Fenway Park include Boston College, Notre Dame, Dartmouth, Brown, and Boston University.

The new Los Angeles bowl game will pit teams from the Pac-12 and the Mountain West at the new Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park. The stadium will be the new home of the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers.

Also debuting in 2020 is the Myrtle Beach Bowl. It will be played at Coastal Carolina’s Brooks Stadium and will match teams from Conference USA, Mid-American Conference (MAC), and Sun Belt Conference. Each conference will participate in the bowl up to four times between 2020 and 2025.

The 2019-20 college football bowl schedule has not yet been officially announced. It will again feature 40 games this season, including the College Football National Championship. Bowl season will kick off on Saturday, Dec. 21, 2019.

https://fbschedules.com/report-fenw...7krZV6XUZFJFm2koACTw4xNCEUcUIW32BF7tJ7NgY2SQw

Better for 5-7 big ten teams that this is happening

I think US Bank Stadium should host a bowl game. I think we could get better attendance than for some of these bowls.

We’re totally getting the Marquee Bowl at Wrigley as soon as the Cubs new network is running.

Maybe they can both go the same direction like NW and Illinois did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think US Bank Stadium should host a bowl game. I think we could get better attendance than for some of these bowls.

I would really like that. Even a garbage bowl game... I'd make it a tradition to go.

I would go to the Myrtle Beach Bowl but for the conferences involved. Maybe it can grow into a P5 bowl.

At this point they may as well just add a bunch more so that all the FBS teams can play in a bowl game. Getting to the point where you have to be pretty bad not to make a bowl game, especially if you play in a power 5 conference.

The Participation Bowl!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If I were a marketer at a toilet company I would do everything I could to make the Toilet Bowl presented by TOTO a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

US Bank would be way better than sitting outside at Fenway in late December.

I wish that would happen. I'd love to go see a couple of random teams play. I pretty much watch every bowl game that I can anyhow.

There were six bowl games with attendance under 20,000 and 3 under 15,000. Close down one of those and move it to Minneapolis.

You get a bowl game! And you get a bowl game!

giphy.gif

OK, I'll ask. Why can Fenway Stadium seat 450 more people at night than during the day? that makes no bleeping sense to me.

On the bowl game, if US Bank could get a decent game, it might draw. But if they wound up with two mediocre schools with no Midwest connections, I suspect the actual attendance would be less than 10,000 people. Possibly far less than that.

OK, I'll ask. Why can Fenway Stadium seat 450 more people at night than during the day? that makes no bleeping sense to me.

On the bowl game, if US Bank could get a decent game, it might draw. But if they wound up with two mediocre schools with no Midwest connections, I suspect the actual attendance would be less than 10,000 people. Possibly far less than that.

Some bleacher sets are removed during the day, messes with the "batter's eye."

Every damn team in FBS should get to play in a “bowl game” every year.

Easy, correct argument:
- they’re essentially just exhibition games, so why do you care so much??
- if it really bothers you that much, then call them something other than a bowl game, again who cares? Call it a post-season contest, whatever
- for the ones that don’t have an actual bowl site to host, let just them play it at a campus site
- most critically — this gives every team access to the essential “second spring ball” 15 practices that go with a bowl game. The teams that need them the most, aren’t allowed to have them!

Was anybody really clamoring for more bowl games?

Remember the good old days, when college presidents said we couldn't have a playoff, because it was too much of a time cost for our student athletes?

That's when they were playing 11-game seasons. Before we added a 12th game. And conference championships. And bowl games for (most) everyone.

No, more bowl games is no skin off my nose. My reaction is more, "Who cares?" And I doubt that's the reaction the NCAA is looking for.

Now tell me about an 8-team or 12-team playoff, and I'll pay attention.

JTG

Getting a bowl win in a crappy bowl does nothing for me. 7-5 should be the minimum to get into a bowl.

"Too many bowl games" is the stupidest argument around.

More college football is better. If you don't want to watch these bowl games, then don't!

I am glad we have more bowl games and think we could use a few more.

There is a market for more bowl games. We need more live sports content, and less talking heads on the sports channels.

Arguing against Bowl games is like arguing against the availability of tomatoes.

Getting a bowl win in a crappy bowl does nothing for me. 7-5 should be the minimum to get into a bowl.

That's like saying you should have to be 5'10" tall or taller to eat tomatoes.

The two have almost nothing to do with each other.

Every team should go to a bowl game. Keep the top half like it currently is, for the bottom half of the teams they'd play an equally ranked team from another conference -- the two teams can select where they want to play (e.g., flip a coin to see which one gets to play at home).

Just don't watch the ones you don't like. Easy fix.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Just don't watch the ones you don't like. Easy fix.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I don't, but then when the Gophers make it at 6-6 or (ugh) 5-7 you can see the conflict.

I don't, but then when the Gophers make it at 6-6 or (ugh) 5-7 you can see the conflict.

Didn’t realize making a decision on whether or not to watch a 6-6 gopher team was so agonizing for people

Top Bottom