3 new bowl games to begin in 2020-21 season. record 84 teams will play in bowl game

It sounds like I'm in the minority here. I love all things Gopher football, and I honestly didn't think there would be any support for a true exhibition game after the season was over. Maybe I'm wrong.

I wasn't really saying I was for or against it. I just don't see players skipping a bowl game (or exhibition) as a big deal to me. It may allow guys that would probably be taking over for them the next season a chance to play.

It sounds like I'm in the minority here. I love all things Gopher football, and I honestly didn't think there would be any support for a true exhibition game after the season was over. Maybe I'm wrong.

Aren't most of the bowl games essentially exhibition games?

The preseason games and all bowls could be looked as exhibitions since they don’t affect league standings. However, these games including the bowls influence voters both that season and the next in terms of being selected for the “national champion” process so it’s arguable whether they are really exhibitions similar to NFL preseason.

IMO they are not. They are or should be REWARDS for a good or great season for the fans and teams.

Still if someone will pay to see a 2-10 or 4-8 P5 game then let them. Those teams will be in the red on the balance sheet!

However, these games including the bowls influence voters both that season and the next in terms of being selected for the “national champion” process

I agree with you on the 1 point you made above.

Again NO.

They do effect the final standings of the winners and sets up the rankings for the begging of the next year. I'd rather start at #20 then #70 working my way up.

You're funny sometimes. Minnesota athletics abides by NCAA bylaws. At this point in time, no team is allowed to schedule an extra game. No team is allowed to count statistics from said non-sanctioned game. What you keep describing is an exhibition game.

Obviously, in order to have a 13th game, there would have to be a rule change. I am not talking about an "exhibition" game. I am talking about an extra non-conference game for teams that want to play one. nobody would be forced to play a 13th game. I'm just suggesting that you provide the option. I can see a team with a lot of young players might be very eager to get some extra practices and game action. or a team that has had a disappointing season due to injuries would get a chance to end the season on a better note.

As I said, in my idea, it would be strictly voluntary. A lot of teams might not want to play another game, and that's fine.

But, the real point is - with well over half of D1 FBS teams playing in bowl games, it just makes the 'leftover' teams look worse. Why not give them an opportunity to play another game - if they want to. As a fan, you could choose to watch - or not watch, if you feel offended at the idea of a 3-9 team playing a 4-8 team. (which of course never happens during the conference season - only winning teams play each other.........)

Again NO.

They do effect the final standings of the winners and sets up the rankings for the begging of the next year. I'd rather start at #20 then #70 working my way up.

Again? Dude you're the one who responded to me twice.

The whole final standings thing doesn't really seems to impact much as ... nobody gives a damn outside the top 25 and I'm not sure it matters if you're say 13 in the AP or lose bowl game and you're 17.... nothing changes.

Again....I prefer more football to less football. Even a bad bowl game means extra practice which is a GOOD thing. And sure....maybe a team that has an under .500 record doesn't deserve a bowl game. But chances are that those teams aren't playing in a destination bowl. There are still good and bad bowls. I mean....playing on an NFL field is cool and all....but a two thirds empty stadium in Detroit isn't exactly top of the line stuff. And having that extra game to put a smackdown on what was a pretty decent P5 Georgia Tech not only helps with recruiting....but is helping to provide some extra hype for this upcoming season.

Again....I prefer more football to less football. Even a bad bowl game means extra practice which is a GOOD thing. And sure....maybe a team that has an under .500 record doesn't deserve a bowl game. But chances are that those teams aren't playing in a destination bowl. There are still good and bad bowls. I mean....playing on an NFL field is cool and all....but a two thirds empty stadium in Detroit isn't exactly top of the line stuff. And having that extra game to put a smackdown on what was a pretty decent P5 Georgia Tech not only helps with recruiting....but is helping to provide some extra hype for this upcoming season.

Still GT had 7 wins and you were at .500 with 6 wins. I dont know if a .500 team should be in a bowl or not, but I do not believe that a sub par below .500 team being rewarded for a job that they were poor at. Make corrections, improve your execution and I'll see you next year where the team has another chance to prove themselves for a bowl game.

Finance and payout

Again, where does the money come from for a lower P5's travel and expenses for a 2-10 or 4-8 team. Which network will televise and who would sponsor those teams? It sounds like the schools would be stuck with the total expenses and be in the red. What about the distance between the 2-10 or below .500 schools? I doubt even the school’s fans would want to travel to this sort of game after a disappointing season.

An example using Georgia Southern Football in FBS

In 2013 our last year in 1aa or FCS we beat Florida in the last game of the season but couldn't go to the playoffs because we were transitional to FBS. Oh Well

GSU's first 5 years in FBS.

Head Coach Fritz 2014 - 2015
In 2014 GSU went 9-3, won the conference,deserved a bole but we were FBS transitional.
In 2015 GSU went 9-4 we went to the GoDaddy Bowl and beat Bowling Green. GSU 54 - Bowling Green 27 WE DESERVED TO GO TO A BOWL.

NOW LETS LOOK AT GSU FROM 2016 - 2017

Head Coach Tyson Summers
2016 GSU went 5-7. GSU did not get a bowl bid nor did we deserve one!
2017 GSU went 2-7. GSU was not offered a bowl bid and should have never gotten one!

2018 Head Coach Chad Lunsford
Lunsford went 10-3, GSU deserved a bowl and went to the Camellia Bowl beating Eastern Michigan

GSU deserved a Bowl under head coaches Fritz and Lunsford because the team EARNED it and GSU did not deserve a bowl bid or post season play under Tyson Summers. That,s just the way it goes.

Last edited:

Again? Dude you're the one who responded to me twice.

The whole final standings thing doesn't really seems to impact much as ... nobody gives a damn outside the top 25 and I'm not sure it matters if you're say 13 in the AP or lose bowl game and you're 17.... nothing changes.

Sorry Slab_of_ Bacon - I didn't mean to offend you with my opinion. You may respond to my posts as many times as you like!

Here's where I differ from you. I believe The begging poll for the next year does matter. If you do well in the regular season both in conference and OOC games you will have a better chance of moving up higher to a reasonable position if you are ranked 4t0h in the preseason than if you were ranked 70th.Of course if the 40th ranked team stinks it up they will drop.

Last edited:

Still GT had 7 wins and you were at .500 with 6 wins. I dont know if a .500 team should be in a bowl or not, but I do not believe that a sub par below .500 team being rewarded for a job that they were poor at. Make corrections, improve your execution and I'll see you next year where the team has another chance to prove themselves for a bowl game.

Finance and payout

Again, where does the money come from for a lower P5's travel and expenses for a 2-10 or 4-8 team. Which network will televise and who would sponsor those teams? It sounds like the schools would be stuck with the total expenses and be in the red. What about the distance between the 2-10 or below .500 schools? I doubt even the school’s fans would want to travel to this sort of game after a disappointing season.
Yeah....a below .500 team probably shouldn't make a bowl game. However....the Gophers proved that they were a much better team than their record suggested last year. And we spanked a Georgia Tech team that went 7-5 with a 5-3 conference record. Also worth noting that one of their losses came in a nonconference game against Georgia....which you can hardly hold against them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah....a below .500 team probably shouldn't make a bowl game. However....the Gophers proved that they were a much better team than their record suggested last year. And we spanked a Georgia Tech team that went 7-5 with a 5-3 conference record. Also worth noting that one of their losses came in a nonconference game against Georgia....which you can hardly hold against them.

When GSU was in the FCS playoffs there were teams ranked above us and we beat them for the FCS National Championship.

You did a good job as a 6-6 school beating a 7 win GT team from the ACC. I'm taking nothing away from that. It was a good match up. A lot of teams are better then their regular season W/L records & The Gophers proved themselves against GT & deserve that bowl win!! (ON ANY GIVEN SATURDAY)

Last edited:

I love bowl games, and I'll have words with anyone who claims that bowl games are meaningless. They're not, for many reasons, and a heckuva lot of fun to go to or watch. My objection was to an exhibition game scheduled with whomever was available after the regular season was over. I don't think the coaches would want to coach it, the players would want to play it, or the fans would want to watch it.

But I'm on board with as many bowl games as they can schedule. More college football is always a good thing.

Bowl games are not about rewarding teams for good seasons. They're about making money for teams, sponsors, and conferences. The whole "reward" thing is just good marketing to convince fans to go to celebrate their bowl-worthy team.

The Quick Lane Bowl has the 4th lowest payout. When we went in 2015 we only had 5 wins. We were also coming off of an 8 win season the year before, had only two conference wins which were against bottom feeders Illinois and Purdue, and our popular head coach left the team for health reasons in the middle of the season. Excitement for the bowl game was very low. We still had almost $200,000 in profit from the bowl game. I'm not sure about the 3 games with lower payouts but teams losing money by participating in a bowl game is very uncommon. All 3 of the new bowl locations seem like better tourist destinations than Detroit so attendance should be higher.

Bowl games are not about rewarding teams for good seasons. They're about making money for teams, sponsors, and conferences. The whole "reward" thing is just good marketing to convince fans to go to celebrate their bowl-worthy team.

The Quick Lane Bowl has the 4th lowest payout. When we went in 2015 we only had 5 wins. We were also coming off of an 8 win season the year before, had only two conference wins which were against bottom feeders Illinois and Purdue, and our popular head coach left the team for health reasons in the middle of the season. Excitement for the bowl game was very low. We still had almost $200,000 in profit from the bowl game. I'm not sure about the 3 games with lower payouts but teams losing money by participating in a bowl game is very uncommon. All 3 of the new bowl locations seem like better tourist destinations than Detroit so attendance should be higher.

Go Gophers - Bowl games are not about rewarding teams for good seasons. They're about making money for teams, sponsors, and conferences. The whole "reward" thing is just good marketing to convince fans to go to celebrate their bowl-worthy team.

GoGophers -The whole "reward" thing is just good marketing

TALON - NOT for GSU. we believe that you earn a post season position & we earned our way to the FCS playoffs and NC titles just as GSU did in the 2 bowl games they played in FBS! The term EARN means something to GSU and their fans!

Like I said - Finance and payout
Again, where does the money come from for the lower P5's travel and expenses for a 2-10 or 4-8 team. Which network will televise and who would sponsor those teams? It sounds like the schools would be stuck with the total expenses and be in the red. What about the distance between the 2-10 or below .500 schools? I doubt even the school’s fans would want to travel to this sort of game after a disappointing season.

Last edited:

I love bowl games, and I'll have words with anyone who claims that bowl games are meaningless. They're not, for many reasons, and a heckuva lot of fun to go to or watch. My objection was to an exhibition game scheduled with whomever was available after the regular season was over. I don't think the coaches would want to coach it, the players would want to play it, or the fans would want to watch it.

But I'm on board with as many bowl games as they can schedule. More college football is always a good thing.

+08

I know that my stance on a bowl game for every G5 and P5 D1 team is unpopular & it has been debated many times, but no one has answered my question'

Who will pay for the low level bowl games for teams that are under .500 like 2-10 teams - 5-5 teams?

Again, where does the money come from for the lower P5's or G5s to travel and expenses for a 2-10 or 4-8 team. Which network will televise and who would sponsor those teams? It sounds like the schools would be stuck with the total expenses and be in the red. What about the distance between the 2-10 or below .500 schools? I doubt even the school’s fans would want to travel to this sort of game after a disappointing season.

Last edited:

I know that my stance on a bowl game for every G5 and P5 D1 team is unpopular & it has been debated many times, but no one has answered my question'

Who will pay for the low level bowl games for teams that are under .500 like 2-10 teams - 5-5 teams?

Again, where does the money come from for the lower P5's or G5s to travel and expenses for a 2-10 or 4-8 team. Which network will televise and who would sponsor those teams? It sounds like the schools would be stuck with the total expenses and be in the red. What about the distance between the 2-10 or below .500 schools? I doubt even the school’s fans would want to travel to this sort of game after a disappointing season.

Well....I don't think anyone is going to debate whether a 5-7 team deserves to go to a bowl game. But bringing 2-10 teams into it to make a case is lazy.

Well....I don't think anyone is going to debate whether a 5-7 team deserves to go to a bowl game. But bringing 2-10 teams into it to make a case is lazy.

I'm ok with 5-7 teams filling in spots.

Folks take who gets a bowl game way way way too seriously sometimes. Like of some not good team goes to the motor city bowl or something, so what?

I'm ok with 5-7 teams filling in spots.

Folks take who gets a bowl game way way way too seriously sometimes. Like of some not good team goes to the motor city bowl or something, so what?

I think I like the 5-7 teams making just because of how much it annoys some people :)

There were several Gopher posters that said that ALL FBS SCHOOLS should go to a bowl game

Top Bottom