Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamiche View Post
    There are all many non English words that have been integrated into the English language and are a part of daily usage, deuce. Languages are not static. English didn’t stop evolving in 1850.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And that's a darn shame.

There are all many non English words that have been integrated into the English language and are a part of daily usage, deuce. Languages are not static. English didn’t stop evolving in 1850.
    We stole this land. So your plan is to not give your land back, but you're just gonna rename a single lake? That doesn't quite pay the bill does it Jammer.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    And that's a darn shame.
    Of course English didn't stop evolving in 1850. Once Lincoln destroyed limited government thankfully the government was allowed to regulate and improve and control the language. That's why the language is good today and works. Before when it was unregulated, speech was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    We stole this land. So your plan is to not give your land back, but you're just gonna rename a single lake? That doesn't quite pay the bill does it Jammer.
    Very occasionally, you are correct, though it's by unintended irony through foolish mockery.

It doesn't pay the bill, but it is a recognition that it's time to stop honoring people who did harm, deuce. It's also a gesture of respect. It's ok to do the right thing.

BTW, you can call it Lake Calhoun for as long as you want. We want you to be comfortable.
    Last edited by jamiche; 05-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.

We just reward losers now, Dakota, Mondale, enjoy your participation trophies!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    We just reward losers now, Dakota, Mondale, enjoy your participation trophies!
    Enjoy your degree from Trump University. If you learned how to read at Trump U, educate yourself a little bit:

http://www.mnhs.org/fortsnelling/learn/us-dakota-war

I have no doubt that there were scores and scores of Indians who were losing sleep over this, tormented beyond belief because of their deep understanding of what kind of man Calhoun was.
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

Blog Entries

Of course English didn't stop evolving in 1850. Once Lincoln destroyed limited government thankfully the government was allowed to regulate and improve and control the language. That's why the language is good today and works. Before when it was unregulated, speech was bad.
    Now you are an expert in literature? Ever read Ambrose Bierce? Maybe one of the singularly best writers ever in the United States. Lived in the pre government regulated language claptrap that you suggest. Wrote in the 1860's -70's.
    You can call me Shirley. The "S" has to stand for something!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S View Post
    Now you are an expert in literature? Ever read Ambrose Bierce? Maybe one of the singularly best writers ever in the United States. Lived in the pre government regulated language claptrap that you suggest. Wrote in the 1860's -70's.
    Conservative
    (n.) A statesman who is enamoured of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.

Very occasionally, you are correct, though it's by unintended irony through foolish mockery.

It doesn't pay the bill, but it is a recognition that it's time to stop honoring people who did harm, deuce. It's also a gesture of respect. It's ok to do the right thing.

BTW, you can call it Lake Calhoun for as long as you want. We want you to be comfortable.
    Ah, so we’re going to rename anything named after anyone who “did harm” by Marxist standards. That’s the “right thing”. We should rename Minneapolis Leningrad to show respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S View Post
    Bierce was a total hack and an awful writer. Get better taste.

Ah, so we’re going to rename anything named after anyone who “did harm” by Marxist standards. That’s the “right thing”. We should rename Minneapolis Leningrad to show respect.

Deuce will thrash around for a little while longer, but he knows that he's going to end up in the boat. Then we toss him back in for more threads.

Which work of Bierce did you like the least what was it about it that you found so lacking?

Maybe it's you that is the hack. I'm guessing that is the case based upon your lousy takes and complete lack of awareness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    give me five words that have come into the english language in the last 100 years that have widespread usage.

in fact, the vast majority of loan words came into english before 1850. since english has become the lingua franca, it has loaned far more words that it has taken. native english speakers are not borrowing words, because we don't have to. that's how languages work. forcing loan words is not. it's like forcing the victory bell as a rivalry trophy.

i really don't give two ****s about what the name on the map is. but enforcing speech is not progressive. it's something that i expect from stuffy old white men in the ivory towers. funny how things change.